New build using old hard drive

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by iMcC, Jan 5, 2012.

1. iMcC

iMcC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going to put together a basic HTPC using some new and a few spare parts from a faulty HP Pc.

My main query is. Would i be able to use the hard drive that was in the HP machine and installed with Vista with a brand new motherboard? Would vista work as normal once it's all put together or would i need to purchase a seperate version of windows?

Cheers

2. robbo100

robbo100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    If you swap your motherboard, it MIGHT work, but the difference may be to big to allow it to boot. It is likely that the recovery discs supplied with your HP machine would not work.

It might be worth giving it a try...

3. nick8571

nick8571

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    You'd be better off doing a clean install - any Vista setup disc (not a manufacturer's recovery disc) will do, as they're all the same apart from the Enterprise version, and you could use your existing product key from the CoA sticker on the HP machine.

I should point out though that an OEM version of Windows (probably the case with your old HP machine) is tied to the PC it's first installed on, and the terms of the OEM license prohibit you from transferring it to a new computer. It will probably work in practice (you may have to activate over the phone), but you won't technically be license-legal, if that bothers you. :)

4. Ian North

Ian North
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I swapped a drive from a failed Asus 875P board onto a Gigabyte P35 board and it complained loudly on boot. I have the usual service boot discs that are available and one has a disc controller reset. It worked without issue or complaint. I have heard of mixed success with just plugging the drive in and letting windows do its work but for me I had to apply the controller outside of windows. An OEM license will likely mean a phone activation once your swap is complete.

5. ktuludays

ktuludays

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    normally any major hardware change will result in either re-activation or re-install. sometimes you get lucky but not often