New build - Suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by ADLK, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ADLK

ADLK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So been a while since I last posted anything here as I moved house and now have a new headache project on my hands.

In the new house there is a nice room with a vaulted ceiling that had a grand piano in it. We are not musical people so we (I) decided to look at converting the room to a new living room for us to enjoy the space.

[​IMG]

The room while not ideal for a home cinema (lots of windows, vaulted ceiling etc....) will be used alot to chill and watch movies, sports, etc so I would like to do the best i can when it comes to AV.

[​IMG]

Looking at the room I am going to put a projector screen that I can pull down in front of the windows and a nice L shaped couch facing it so I think i am sorted on the visual side (for now)

My problem/question that I would like some users advice on is the Audio side. The vaulted ceiling.....not sure if this is a good thing or bad as I have seen mixed opinions....either way I would like to look at keeping the speakers off the ground (other half, kids etc....). Would mounting the speakers on the beams be an option and point them down towards the couch? I am thinking of a 5.1.2 setup as there is a beam ideally located for Atmos speakers.

[​IMG]

Cheers for any help....been out of the game for so long I don't know what the market is like now so any suggestions for AVR's and speakers are welcome :thumbsup:

P.S. If I am completely wasting my time on a 5.1.2 setup and would be better off with a soundbar or something similar don't be afraid to shout!

Attached Files:

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,651
    The beams are way too high for mounting speakers (except Atmos speakers).
    Even tilting them down would still give the impression of all the sound coming from above you.

You could go for a soundbar, but it seems a shame not to use "proper" speakers if you're going to have a projector.

Have you considered wall mounted speakers?

Not sure what stage you're at with decorating etc. but wall mounting would require cables.... which could be channeled into the walls if you don't mind a bit of extra plastering/painting.

3. ADLK

ADLK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback Roohster...I had a feeling the beams were a bit high....I guess I could look at wall mounted speakers for the 5.1 and just mount the atmos from the beam overhead...I am busy knocking holes in the walls at present so I could look at channeling cable back to the AVR...Would you go with wall mounted or in wall...is there much difference....Would the placement just above the screen pointing down work ok? wall mount speaker.jpg

4. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,651
    You could probably get away with putting the front three where you've indicated, and in-walls are a really neat solution if you have the opportunity to build them in.

They'd still be on the high side and that wouldn't be great for an Atmos system, which really needs your other (non Atmos - L,C,R and surrounds) speakers to be at or near ear height to create the proper Atmos effect.

Do you have any kit already? Or could you borrow some?

It would be worth experimenting with a sub/satellite system using small front speakers - maybe try some small left and right speakers to either side of the windows with the height round about where you've left that sander ;)

You'd then need to try the centre either where you've marked on your picture, or almost at floor level angled upwards.

It really would be worth trying out different positions before you go to the trouble and expense of fitting in-walls.

If you can manage to get the rest of the speakers around ear level you could then think about putting some atmos speakers up on the beams.

5. ADLK

ADLK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some great suggestions there Roohster much appreciated.

I actually have another setup in my main home theatre room...its an old 5.1 setup with an Onkyo AVR and some Yamaha speakers. I guess I could move it temporarily and see how it sounds but I reckon you are right I'll be fooling myself trying to run a proper setup from that height.

With the back surrounds is it ok to point these sideways at the viewer as the couch will be up against the back wall with no room behind for the back surrounds?

6. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,651
    It’s ok to put the rears either side of you in a 5.1 or 5.1.2 setup, you might want to consider some dipole/tripole speakers which are designed to go in that position.

You could still go for Atmos with a 5.1.2 system.

Dolby have some useful speaker positioning guided on their website, definitely worth a read.