New Build Shed Ht

sirata

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently started a home cinema build in my shed ( don`t laugh ) it`s the only place i have, i wanted total light control so the lounge is a no no.
The shed is 8 years old, my own construction, tongue and groove on 2 x 2 frame, lined with half inch ply sitting on a concrete base. size of shed is 13 x 11.
It has housed a hi fi and portable tv all this time, with no problems with damp.
I have now built another 2 x 2 frame inside this and insulated it and plasterboarded. Speaker cables and lighting have been put in together with a keene ir extender. I built a small stage at the front for the speakers to sit on.

The idea is to put black carpet tiles on theis screene wall and perhaps use
a dark red/green carpet tile for the rest.

I will build a small enclosed porch area outside the door (2 doors the original shed door with a normal door ) to put coats etc.

I have painted the windows black so it still looks like a shed outside, in the summer it would get unbearably hot, now with insulation, it`s alot better.
so far i have not put my speakers out there, but a test with a decent ghetto blaster has shown sound containment to be pretty good, any way its 30 ft to the nearest house.

I am having a lot of fun, my diy skills are zero, but it`s only got me to please.
some may say what about security, but the total spend will be less than the value of lawn mower tools etc in my other shed. So roll on 2006 high def football after the barbeque.
:clap: :clap:

Attachments

• SHED HOME CIN.jpg
    SHED HOME CIN.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 2,749
  • SHED HOME CIN 2.jpg
    SHED HOME CIN 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,836
  • SHED HOME CIN 3.jpg
    SHED HOME CIN 3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,208
  • SHED HOME CIN 4.jpg
    SHED HOME CIN 4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,870
NICE I WAS GOING TO DO THAT MYSELF BUT THEIR IS TOO MANY **** TAKERS ON THE FORUM I GOING TO HAVE AN EXTENSION 10X15 FOUND A BUILDER WHO WILL DO IT FOR 3 GRAND I'VE JUST GOT TO BUY THE MATERIALS POST MORE PICS WHEN DONE :thumbsup:

Keep posting pictures and progress as it will be interesting to see how this pans out :)

Will do, next stage is the carpeting of the walls, which may improve sound containment further,so far very happy,won`t feel like a shed inside when it`s finished

Dave

3 grand for a 10x15 room?

I thought extensions were far more expensive than that.
He doesn't live in the Bournemout area does he...???

I like this idea MORE PICTURES i need more :clap: :clap: :clap:

mate that looks nice but i have just showed it to my brother (a plumber) and he is worried about the fact you are putting extremely sensitive electrical equipment in a shed....many of these items will suffer is temperatures fall belowe -10...

you need plenty of damp proofing and similarly insulation ... and ventilation ...

please - i am worried and do not want to see you ruin your equipment :O)

I hear what you say, but here in the channel islands its very mild, we rarely get temps of below freezing, i have had lots of electrical equipment out there
before i put up the insulation, plasterboard and carpeting on the walls and had no problems.
IF I do, well you only live once, i badly want a big screen.
started to put up carpet tiles on screen wall today, will post more pictures soon

Dave

Just a few update pictures, plasterboard finished, now putting carpet squares on walls and ceiling, about a 3rd of the way through, it`s making such a difference to the feel of the place,also a very warm day today and it`s cooler in there than usual.
The pictures show
the stage area, the wooden feature along its length has blue leds and looks effective. the mdf cabinet at the back, i am making has now all the cabling to it, speakers, hdmi vga svid component and keene extender.
I am also going to have a pc there as well, i have put usb extender cables to both side walls, coming out through blanking plates,easier than fiddling arounf the back of the pc, also i heard the 360 may use usb/wireless for the controllers,so these may prove usefull.

Dave
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• shed 1 15 aug.jpg
    shed 1 15 aug.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,111
  • shed 2 15aug.jpg
    shed 2 15aug.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,513
  • shed 3 15 aug.jpg
    shed 3 15 aug.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,684
  • shed 4 15 aug.jpg
    shed 4 15 aug.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,584
What is the white box dangling just above the cables from the ceiling?

What is the white box dangling just above the cables from the ceiling?

It looks like a powerpoint to me :)

Looking good Dave, you wouldnt think that it is a shed construction from the outside.

yes it is a poweroint,not properly seated yet,as i am not sure which projector i will get,so mounting points etc are not exactly known,so i have left a fair bit of area not plasterboarded.
Doing it on a strict budget,so taking it`s time, suprising how quickly,wood,plasterboard,cabling,carpets etc eats into the funds.

I am also a keen photographer,so hopefully when it`s up and running, i can post screen shots without/with lights and door open with ambient lighting to give a comparision.

Dave

Dave do you have any update on this project :)

Just finished the carpeting of the whole room,all walls and ceiling,had to wait a fair bit for b and q to keep re-stocking in tiles.Couldn`t justify to the wife the big outlay for them at the start,so kept buying a few boxes at a time,but they kept running out of my colour.
Still on a high (literally ) all tiles stuck in place with evo-stick. very pleased with the outcome,will post pictures this weekend.just need skirting,carpet for the floor and small matter of projector.ae900 or z4, i saw an ht1000 at stuff live a few years back,great picture ,but i had a headache in 10mins, so i guess dlp s out for me.

Dave

Should look great when its done dave, keep plodding on.

Finally finished the carpeting,boy is it dark in there and pretty cold,although the outside temp is not, should bode well when projector is chucking out its heat ??
The photos show it as being a blue colour,but it is a darkgrey/black colour and buying the squares at different times the shades may be slightly off,but this is only apparent under intense light of camera flash.
i have also covered the door with carpet to finish it off
Next i need floor carpet,skirting,projector xbox360,sky hd,fridge,the list is endless.
I installed the keene extender at the outset,but forget to try it at framing stage,used it today,works very well indeed.that little black item at the front of the small stage is the reciever.
I now need to make my own screen,so if anyone can offer advice ,i`d be grateful.

Dave

Attachments

• shed 1 03oct.jpg
    shed 1 03oct.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,099
  • shed2 03oct.jpg
    shed2 03oct.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • shed3 03oct.jpg
    shed3 03oct.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,040
Looking good dave :thumbsup:

Don't forget the Lazy Boy recliner too..
That would be nice, or the cinema chairs over in the stands and memorabilia forum.

Fair play mate, I think your project is going to look the part when finished. A small inexpensive dehumidifier would ensure no damp at all, you should maybe investigate that. I look forward to seeing your finish theatre, and having just finished the same in my spare room, I could maybe share some of my experiences and discoveries. Good luck!!

Everything now finished apart from screen,carpet and projector.
Put my speakers in today,wife is happy they are leaving the lounge.
What is a good place to order screen material from and what sort of gain would i need for ae700/z3, and any tips on buliding one would be nice.

Dave

Attachments

• shed 1 18oct.jpg
    shed 1 18oct.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,049
  • shed 2 18oct.jpg
    shed 2 18oct.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,066
  • shed 3 oct 18.jpg
    shed 3 oct 18.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,107
I've some pics here for the screens I made in the past, and crtprojectors.co.uk do a nice 1.25 gain material for £20 per linear foot (by 104ins wide). You will have to source some tubes to send to them as it is slightly rubbery and creases easily, so it needs to be shipped on a tube inside a tube. Excellent value if you need some gain.

What you could do, is try some white blackout cloth just to see how the projector fairs with a material that has a gain of unity (or there abouts). Then you will have an idea if the image is bright enough or needs to be brighter.

Link to my screens:

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/myht.html

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/scope.html?

Gary

I ordered my screen material from DRH on friday evening, had an e-mail from them monday morning to say as i live in Guernsey courier charge would go from £12 to £24 ,which they felt was too steep and they sent by royal mail instead, it arrived this morning, well chuffed with the service.
Good personal service, another company would have thought what the hell and just charged me £24, to get here perhaps a day quicker.
I have 2 days off now, so am going to make frame, will report back

Dave

Well it`s basically finished,just small matter of pj and a carpet.
Screen material arrived from DRH a couple of days ago,i made a frame yesterday,using 2x 1 and metal brackets and wood glue.
Today,with the help of my father in law and an electric staple gun,stretched and fitted the material and finished off with flock tape from Nexnix.
To say i`m pleased is an understatement.
Total cost approx £65
Whilst browsing AVS forums i came accross a thread re a ticket maker programme for use in Excel. so i downloaded it,together with a trial of office 2003 from microsoft and made a ticket for my kids,they are well impressed.

Dave

Attachments

• shed 1 28oct.jpg
    shed 1 28oct.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,398
  • shed 2 28 oct.jpg
    shed 2 28 oct.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,155
  • shed 3 28 oct.jpg
    shed 3 28 oct.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • shed 4 28 oct.jpg