New Build Recomendations

s_inman

Hi all,

Just planning out a new build, mainly for gaming but also for the odd bit of graphics work and also managing my photos with Lightroom.

I want the build to be as quiet as possible given the relatively high spec (I don't expect it to be inaudible but it all helps ).

This is what I have so far;

CPU: i7 3820 (purchased)

Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 (purchased)

Ram: Kingston HyperX 16gb 2133mhz

SSD: 120gb OCZ Vertex 3

HDD: 500gb Western Digital (have from old build)

PSU: yet to purchase but something around 850 - 1000w and quiet.

GPU: this is where it's gets tricky, I've seen some HD 7970 Sapphire's on eBay for £315 each which is a bargain in my opinion... But how well do they scale? I'm very tempted to go crossfire.

Monitor: This is more than likely going to be a Korean 1440p (maybe a 120hz Catleap or regular crossover).

Case: Fractal Design R3

Any help or advice appreciated.

Stuart

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Crossfire will depend on the game
I would be tempted to for 2 GTX 660 or GTX 680

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's probably a bit late now but that's not a great value processor. The 3770K is both cheaper and faster and it's only really the six core Socket 2011 processors that are worth looking at now from a performance stand point. The 3820 does give you two PCI-E 16x slots (and an x8 slot) compared to the single PCI-E 16x slot (or dual 8x slots) of the cheaper ones but you'll struggle to find a current GPU that it'll make any difference too. It's not a slow processor though.

16GB of ram is likely to be useless for gaming, most will still be at the 2GB/4GB 32-bit limit for a while yet. DDR3 2133 over 1600 also isn't going to make any difference.

s_inman

EndlessWaves said:
It's probably a bit late now but that's not a great value processor. The 3770K is both cheaper and faster and it's only really the six core Socket 2011 processors that are worth looking at now from a performance stand point. The 3820 does give you two PCI-E 16x slots (and an x8 slot) compared to the single PCI-E 16x slot (or dual 8x slots) of the cheaper ones but you'll struggle to find a current GPU that it'll make any difference too. It's not a slow processor though.

16GB of ram is likely to be useless for gaming, most will still be at the 2GB/4GB 32-bit limit for a while yet. DDR3 2133 over 1600 also isn't going to make any difference.
Thanks for the reply, Ive got the processor for a good price £180 and the motherboard off these forums for £90 :).

I went for 16gb of ram as I do rip blurays, also I'm a keen photographer so transfer, edit view etc large photos. I also use AutoCAD, google sketch and CorelDraw quite often, Would this be a benefit for me? The 2133 is £5 more than the 1600 on everyone's favourite auction site so I assumed I may as well go for the faster speed?

s_inman

Delvey said:
Crossfire will depend on the game
I would be tempted to for 2 GTX 660 or GTX 680
I would go GTX 670 over both of those, also as the 7970 is virtually the same price I went for the red corner as I'm more than likely going 1440p :).

I'm open to suggestions though! The GPU will be the last thing I buy so it's going to be a month down the line, as we know prices can and will fluctuate in that time :eek:.

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member

I'd imagine the 16GB of ram is more for the graphics/lightroom stuff than gaming, and ram is dirt cheap at the moment any so 16GB isn't unusual. The Mobo only has 4 dimm slots too so 16Gb will take up all of them. If he went for 8GB he'd have no room to upgrade if needed later, he'd need to sell the 8GB and buy another 16GB.

For the GPU, it's a very simple choice at that price point - get a GTX 670 :D

Couple of these (if you're going SLI) would do very nicely EVGA GTX 670 FTW NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB - 02G-P4-2678-KR - Scan.co.uk

Pretty sure the scaling on these is better than AMD cards, they're not much slower than a GTX680.

Be aware the mobo you're chosen has a chipset fan which I think kicks in when it gets to a certain temperature, and it's not quiet!!

Last edited:

s_inman

Thanks for the advice guys.

So it looks as if the EVGA 670 FTW is the one, just to throw a spanner in... I've got the opportunity to buy 2 Sapphire 7970's for £500 would that be considered a much better buy than 2 670's? Reason I ask is I've seen some for sale that are a week old...

Stuart

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

So it looks as if the EVGA 670 FTW is the one, just to throw a spanner in... I've got the opportunity to buy 2 Sapphire 7970's for £500 would that be considered a much better buy than 2 670's? Reason I ask is I've seen some for sale that are a week old...

Stuart
Depends what res youre gaming at and what psu youve got, you'd need a more powerful psu for 2 gpu's.

Im a bit on an nvidia lover (after having had a few amd cards), so unless youre gaming at more than 1080p i'd still go for a single 670.

Unless you were intending on getting two 670's in which case go for the 7970's, as theyre really quite cheap.

s_inman

Chox1988 said:
Depends what res youre gaming at and what psu youve got, you'd need a more powerful psu for 2 gpu's.

Im a bit on an nvidia lover (after having had a few amd cards), so unless youre gaming at more than 1080p i'd still go for a single 670.

Unless you were intending on getting two 670's in which case go for the 7970's, as theyre really quite cheap.
I'm going 1440p.. (or 1080p 120hz but more than likely 1440p)I am either going SLI or Crossfire for sure at that res :).

I'm on the lookout for a 850W ish PSU, I've not looked into it too much but would that be enough for 2 7970's? They are a good price.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I'm going 1440p.. (or 1080p 120hz but more than likely 1440p)I am either going SLI or Crossfire for sure at that res :).

I'm on the lookout for a 850W ish PSU, I've not looked into it too much but would that be enough for 2 7970's? They are a good price.
Definitely 2 7970's in that scenario, between the combined power and high vram its the good choice, and 850 is more than enough :thumbsup:

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
s_inman said:

Most games will run off one 7970 at that res if you overclock.

Obviously if you can afford 2 then may as well.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member

Remember that Z77 boards are generally PCIe 3.0 so two PCIe 3.0 8x slots = two PCIe 2.0 16x slots and one PCIe 3.0 8x slot + two PCIe 3.0 4x slots = one PCIe 2.0 16x slot + two PCIe 2.0 8x slots.

The memory is because 4GB DIMMs are commonplace and so for quad channel memory 4x4GB makes sense.

wolvers

Novice Member
Sniper Ash6 said:
Remember that Z77 boards are generally PCIe 3.0 so two PCIe 3.0 8x slots = two PCIe 2.0 16x slots and one PCIe 3.0 8x slot + two PCIe 3.0 4x slots = one PCIe 2.0 16x slot + two PCIe 2.0 8x slots.
Never knew that. So does a PCIe 2.0 16x card run at full speed in a PCIe 3.0 8x slot?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Yes. That's why x79 is fun times to SLI fiends!

Last edited:

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
I'd have thought to ultra at 60fps you'd need two wouldnt you? But yeah one would be useable
I used to get 60fps from BF3 maxed out with one 7970.

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
Fair play, thats far better than i was expecting from just one card at 1440p :)
Granted that was without AA and just using FXAA but it ran well and surprised me.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Remember that Z77 boards are generally PCIe 3.0 so two PCIe 3.0 8x slots = two PCIe 2.0 16x slots and one PCIe 3.0 8x slot + two PCIe 3.0 4x slots = one PCIe 2.0 16x slot + two PCIe 2.0 8x slots
Ah, looks like the boards are PCI-E 3.0 compatible but it didn't make it into the Sandy Bridge-E chips

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton