1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New build probs. - AMD 64 with A8V Asus m/board. Help!!??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by janmars, Nov 26, 2004.

1. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently purchased the Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard from Tekheads, and am now having a few problems with it.

The motherboard is flashed to the 1007 version BIOS.

I have the following installed:

AMD 64bit (Winchester) 3200+
    MSI GeForce 6800LE 8x AGP 128mb (From savastore)
    2x 512mb 184 Pin DIMM PC3200 RAM (Crucial)
    Jeantech PSU ( http://www.jeantech.com/Products/Power_Supply/120mm_PSU/120mm_psu.html )

The RAM is installed in banks a1 and b1.

The PC will not POST. All that happens is the fans power on, the LED on the motherboard comes on. Then after about 10 seconds a voice states on the speaker “system failed CPU test”.

I have attempted various configurations. I have tested with and without RAM, as well as a single unit of RAM in the b1 slot. Each time the system gives the same result. I have also tested with different RAM types.

I tested without the graphics card, as well as with another graphics card. (Also the power line is connected to the 6800LE card).

I have ensured all the power connectors are fitted correctly (including the 4 pin 12v cable).

I am assuming the CPU is actually okay and want to exhust all possibilties before I start returning stuff (on another forums, I notice one guy has been through 3 of these motherboards and 2 CPU's and had the same problem each time. He is still yet to slove the issue).

So is there anything else you can advise I attempt?

:confused:

2. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Asus board(K8V se deluxe) with the AMD 3000ghz cpu did the same and it was do to the memory, I think it has to be singled sided memory, ie: chips on one side only of the stick, I went to crucial entered the motherboard model, and bought the recommended ram and all OK, none of my orginal ram chips from variuos suppliers or sizes worked as the all had chips on both sides!

3. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is single sided Crucial RAM - and it works in other PC's :(

Any other ideas?

4. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Jnms, no other ideas I'm afraid, It looks like you'll have to RMA the cpu or motherboard! :mad:

5. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try 1 stick of ram in each of the slots.

Failing that, borrow some ram from someone else & when it eventually POSTS, double check the BIOS version.

When I got my 3000 + A8V, it booted first time with 1 stick of RAM, so I assumed it was 1007 BIOS. Then i spent 2 days trying to install windows rather unsuccessfully. Errors in the install every time.

Only then did i notice it had in fact only got the 1005 BIOS, so I flashed it & off we went.

good luck.