Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Build PC - Keyboard will not work!

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by edhg, Feb 19, 2005.

1. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am part way through building my first PC. The installation is going ok, except that when I turn on the PC, the keyboard will not work! As a result I cant install anything...

The motherboard is a MSI K8N Diamond SLI board and the keyboard is a DELL Quietkey keyboard from my last PC (bought in 1997!). I have plugged it into my girlfriend's laptop and it plays fine.

Please help, this is so annoying!
    thanks
    Ed

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you plugged it into the mouse port?

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    Assuming that you haven't plugged the keyboard into the mouse port, check the manual for details on clearing the CMOS settings. It's usually a jumper that needs to be moved, added or removed.

4. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have plugged it in via USB you may have to turn on a USB keyboard in the BIOS?

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more than likely a ps2 keyboard.

If the keyboard is plugged into the mouse port it wil most likely still post, but will hang halfway into windows (depending on the mb, if it ignores the incorrect signals)

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    old keyboards often don't work in new mobos
    (I now have 3 perfectly good ps2 keyboards that won't work in my new mobos)

they changed something without telling us!

7. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe it is a compatibility issue with the keyboard, although it is strange that it works on my girlfriend's new laptop (incidentally, what is a PS2 keyboard, and how do these differ from new keyboards?). I have made sure it is plugged into the right port, but no joy. There is a button on the board which clears the CMOS, I might give that a go. There do not appear to be any jumpers on the board (perhaps they are in the BIOS (which I cant get to!). Failing that I'll 'borrow' a keyboard from work tomorrow and see how that goes...

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    PS2 is the generic name for the round mini din connection used for keyboards & mice & was first introduced by IBM on their PS2 range of PCs around 1988. The only other connection type is USB.

Do the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock LEDs flash when the PC is powered on? They should all flash once simultaneously.

The only compatibility issue I've ever come across is the distance between the fascia plate for a motherboard & the PS2 socket itself. If the distance is fractionally too great then the shroud of the PS2 connector will hit the fascia plate before the pins have engaged in the socket. You can verify this by temporarily removing the fascia plate.

9. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is the standard keyboard plug, the only difference being that it is not purple at the end. The lights dont flash at all when the PC is turned on, and I have checked the pins which seem to be the right length. This is bizarre and really annoying!
    Hmmm.

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm beginning to suspect the keyboard controller chip on the mobo. It is rare but I have heard of this happening in the past.

If you find that the keyboard you borrow doesn't work either then it looks like you'll have to send the mobo back

It's a shame you dont get the "Keyboard error, press F1 to continue" message!

Dave