New Build Painting Issue

D

Deleted member 221953

Hi

I’m in middle of painting my living room with emulsion but the paint on ceiling has flaked off in some areas, anyone had this before?
81ECE0F9-6389-486C-86FD-2F5EDD20B064.jpeg

jendo

Established Member
Could it be that they have painted on wet plaster.
If you try to apply paint to wet plaster this can cause adhesion problems. Applying emulsion to wet plaster also means that it may not bond properly and you could find that it peels off your wall.

John7

Distinguished Member
Could be a number of things....inferior quality paint, damp plaster, unclean dusty plaster surface.

D

Deleted member 221953

Should’ve said, been in house for 2 years first time redecorating

ufo550

Prominent Member
I’ve had that before in a new build. You’ll find that patch will get bigger & bigger, when you go at it with a scrapper. As far as I could find out, was that the plasterboard wasn’t given a mist coat(s) of paint, before first painted.

Also if the nearby taped joints were heavily filled, sanded and dust not removed.

If you end up with a large patch, you’ll struggle to make good, without it being visible. If it’s that bad, you could consider getting it skimmed.

D

Deleted member 221953

I’ve had that before in a new build. You’ll find that patch will get bigger & bigger, when you go at it with a scrapper. As far as I could find out, was that the plasterboard wasn’t given a mist coat(s) of paint, before first painted.

Also if the nearby taped joints were heavily filled, sanded and dust not removed.

If you end up with a large patch, you’ll struggle to make good, without it being visible. If it’s that bad, you could consider getting it skimmed.
Turns out it was the filled in screws causing issue, managed to salvage it I think

D

Deleted member 202217

You will find your house covered in them and over the next few years they will all crack and become apparent. On walls and ceilings.

If your really lucky, you can watch your stair case spindles and newel posts twist and crack as they either used unseasoned timber or just left it all out in the rain when constructing.

D

Deleted member 221953

You will find your house covered in them and over the next few years they will all crack and become apparent. On walls and ceilings.

If your really lucky, you can watch your stair case spindles and newel posts twist and crack as they either used unseasoned timber or just left it all out in the rain when constructing.
I’ve already removed and fitted glass 😀

Rhinonine

Established Member
Thats not bare plasterboard, its been skimmed with board finish plaster, and it looks like it hasn't been sealed prior to painting. It should have been mist coated with diluted matt emulsion, because of the suction from bare plaster the paint hasn't adhered so the paint coat has failed and peeled off.
Hopefully its just in a small area and can be fixed by sealing the plaster with a highly diluted pva mix left to dry and a fine filler applied to bring it to the same thickness as the paint coat then lightly sanded with 100 grit sanding screen and repainted.

aVdub

Banned
I did a skim coat on mine when my kitchen ceiling was lowered and extractors installed and am sure I included some PVA in the sprayer when doing so.

Be worth checking out the rest of the ceiling and making good before it starts to fall off when least expected.

le4thab

Established Member
Had the whole house re-plastered recently and was told by plasterer to paint with Leyland Trade Contract Matt Emulsion to stop any flaking. Then to paint as normal. Have seen no flaking off any paint. He also told ud to go over nail heads holding the edging on with an oil based paint to seal them.
Thats the paint suggested to us and it worked well.

larkone

Distinguished Member
A small drop of washing-up liquid in the mist coat works if there is still any dampness in the new plaster, it's a wetting agent and allows the paint to absorb - from an ex-decorator

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung & LG UK TV Prices 2023; Amazon Fire TV Cube; Calibration Tools of the Trade + AV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom