New build not started well...

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by jameson_uk, Feb 6, 2009.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Things have not quite gone according to plan...

Got myself a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard with the new Geforce 9400 chipset. Swapped over CPU from old machine and set everything up but when I connected to TV via HDMI I get realy bad overscan. (to the point where I am loosing about 20% of the picture. Fine I thought just go into the NVidia control panel and change it there. Fine it lets you do that but never actually applies it :mad:

Reverting back to VGA at 1360x768 for the time being as this only a temporary solution whilst I am waiting for the Sony 40W4500 1080p TV to re-appear in this country.

Not sure if this is just an XP problem (can't face installing Vista after all that) or that my TV is a 32" with a native res of 1366x768 (and oddly reports the native res as 1920x1080 to Nvidia control panel and ATI ccc)

Anyone know if there is an workaround (only found one for the 8000 GTS) and perhaps more importantly whether when I actually stick the HDMI signal into my new 1080p set that it will work as it should ??

2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    hmmmmm....

I updated the graphics drivers (thought I had done this yesterday).

I can now resize the desktop to get rid of overscan. Problem is that I can only resize at 60Hz and it will not let me resize at 50Hz.

I can output 720p at 50Hz with overscan or a 720p at 60Hz (well actually 1232x692) that actually fits on the screen...

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Are you running Media Center? If so then the overscan shouldn't be a problem - Media Center is designed to accommodate overscan (if you tell it you have a TV rather than a monitor in set-up it will move the UI elements in a bit ISTR) If that is the case then I'd run 720p at 50Hz with the overscan for TV and DVD, and just switch to 60Hz in nVidia Control Panel when you need to run Windows apps outside Media Center (or do other stuff over VNC or similar on another machine - which was my solution when I ran a 1024x576 50Hz interlaced system via a VGA to RGB SCART cable on my old 28" SD Sony TV which had pemanent overscan. Whenever I needed to do something in Windows I VNCed into the HTPC from my laptop)

4. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    OK had a quick play and got the MP UI to fit nicely on the screen.

Problem is PQ is terrible. Everything is really really grainy. This is noticeable on the large buttons in the MP interface.

This is even noticeable in a video in WMP when in windowed mode.

Is this just the fact that my set is not that great via HDMI (I am going to replace it anyway once the Sony 40W4500 is back in stock) or is there something I can do to improve this?

The main point of HDMI was to get 8 channel LPCM to my new amp (arriving tomorrow). I was expecting to get similar PQ to VGA but benefit from being able to output at 50Hz rather than 60Hz and avoid the odd stutter.

This HDMI stuff is all new to me so any help apprecitated

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Hmm - sounds like your display may not be doing that well with HDMI content and scaling it?

I've got a Sony 40W4000 (can't stand 100Hz processing so didn't look at the W4500 I'm afraid) and have no problems driving it in 1920x1080 native at 23/24, 50 and 59/60Hz for 1080p BDs, European SD/HD TV/DVD and 1080i BDs respectively.

6. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    That was always on the horizon as part of this upgrade so I guess that means I definately need a new TV :D

I have had my 32V2000 now for 2 and a half years and I guess it was fairly cutting edge at the time. The whole issue with the native res being 1366x768 and HDMI being 720p or 1080i does not make for an easy life.

Out of interest why the dislike of 100Hz sets?

7. Jimbob123

Jimbob123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you adjusting the overscan from the NVidia control panel?

I tried to use 720p or 1080i on my TV but also got bad overscan.

8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    The resize desktop option. It did not actually work on original drivers and had to download the latest ones from the NVidia website.

9. Jimbob123

Jimbob123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm, I could not find that setting on the Nvidia control panel. Does it appear after you set your video signal to 720p/1080i?

I have a page for "custom resolutions" but it does not have any parameters for overscan.

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    I don't want to pay for features I will never use - like MotionFlow. I am not a fan of processing images for "smoothness" etc. - particularly at the consumer price point. Whenever I've seen any of the 100Hz sets with their motion interpolation switched on I've disliked them intensely. When watching film content they give it a nasty "video" look - and in doing so not only change the entire look of the film, they also introduce countless processing artefacts on complex motion (action scenes look hilarious) To do high quality motion interpolation properly you need a large 3U rack of electronics costing 10s of thousands of pounds (S&W or ForA HD converter), and even then it won't be perfect...

When you switch all the processing off - and just watch a clean (and as un-meddled with as possible) picture - the difference between 50Hz sets and 100Hz sets begins - to me - to be far less obvious.

The first thing I did with my 40W4000 was switch all the processing off and reduce the backlight significantly - and it looked a LOT better. I missed one setting on one input (the Sky HD one as it happens) and I couldn't work out why some TV shows just looked awful (I thought something had gone seriously wrong in production on them - it was to do with the way captions are overlaid - but then did a bit of digging and it was one of the processing options mistakenly left on LOW rather than OFF)

When I set-up my TVs I try to make them as neutral and transparent - rather than as flattering - as possible.

(Sony should be shot for delivering their TVs - in fact manufacturing their TVs - with the VIVID option... And why deliver them with an unwatchably high level of sharpness. First thing I do with any Sony TV is wind the sharpness down to 0 - and surprise surprise - HD pictures suddenly look sharper - as rather than nasty fake detail, you can see more of the real stuff!)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Suspect it will only appear for "TV" resolutions - as monitors won't have overscan issues.

12. Jimbob123

Jimbob123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all honest I'm happy with 1360x768, as it's the native resolution of my sony KDL32S3000. It also supports games and stuff quite well. I was just curious because my TV displays other 720p or 1080i stuff quite well.

13. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    My V series too...

Having had a quick look, the resize desktop only comes up with the HDMI connection and not the VGA. I am happy enough with 1360x768 (you are missing 6 pixels off your native res ;)) but I am slightly annoyed with the odd stutter at playing back 50Hz (PAL) material over a 60Hz (VGA) connection. I also want to add in 24fps playback and HD audio so that means I have to move to HDMI anyway.

Think this whole thing will sort itself out once I get my new 1080p native res TV :D

14. Jimbob123

Jimbob123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, must get myself one of those someday!