• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New build (not built yet) ideal layout

young_bairn

Established Member
Hi all.

I stupidly agreed to buy a new house without actually seeing the house plans. I work away so it was to appease the Mrs :laugh:

So the house isn't built yet but looking at the plans Im at a loss how to set up a home cinema. I currently stay in a flat which has an ideal room layout but the house layout im struggling with. Attached is an approx layout of the down stairs.

the-maitland_8471.jpg

The living room dimensions are 19' 04'' x 12' 01'' (5.89m x 3.68m). The only way I can see this working is to have the TV on the wall opposite the single door in the living room. Wall mounted or build a fake chimney breast. Another alternative is to utilise one of the spare bedrooms 3 or 4 bellow and have that as a TV/man cave?

the-maitland_8472.jpg

Bedroom 3 8' 11'' x 9' 09'' (2.72m x 2.97m)
Bedrrom 4 10' 08'' x 9' 08'' (3.25m x 2.95m)

Any thoughts welcome

noterms

Banned
Or convert the garage? Or still wait awhile and see it its possible to add an extension to it? Friend of mine rebuilt his along with a home cinema in.

Turned out well

TheChillPill

Standard Member
If the house isn't yet built, you have the advantage of being able to ask the builder to make minor modifications to the interior. Personally, I'd ask them to add a door to the garage and later convert that to a room for the cinema (hardly anyone uses them for cars now anyway!). You could ask them to fully convert it to a proper room, but they'll charge you a fair whack for doing that.

The other option would be to ask them to omit the doors between the lounge and dining room and have a flat wall there intead. Use that wall for TV/Screen, and have an L-shaped sofa along with Window wall & 'back' wall.

The plans look like a Persimmon home to me, and they're not known for being hugely flexible, but at this early stage I'd be surprised if they didn't want to do whatever possible to keep an 'off plan' buyer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom