New build - need help !

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by DinoKustas, Jun 18, 2015.

1. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

I need some help!

I want my new build home to be relatively up to date with technology and so far I am being confused with all the options from things like Control4, Legrand, Raspberry Pi etc. etc.

My new build is being build by Charles Church who have given me a basic package solution with either Sonos or Legrand. I have requested more information and pricing but I don't think I'll get much out of the sales lady as (no offence to her) I don't think she'll understand the information. I intend to call the company they use tomorrow to see what I can get.

So....My plans so far are basic. I was thinking along the lines of below:

Sonos or similar to run the audio to the below..
    Speaker cabling run to ceilings of kitchen, study, bedrooms, bathroom, ensuite
    Various cat6 points throughout the house for TVs to be used in conjunction with below.. plus points by the light switches for controls of systems?
    Some sort of HDMI over cat5/6 matrix - Sky, CCTV, Media streamer of sorts, 1 x spare for whatever.
    Some sort of CCTV/Security system - be it ran over cat6 or otherwise? Want something modern that can text, call, email, take live video etc.
    All cabling to be run to the under stairs cupboard

I want to be able to access and control most of the above from a phone/tablet/something portable.

Room wise I'm thinking the below:

Living room - TV, projector, AV amp etc. Have asked for power on the ceiling (both sides) for projector and motorised screen. Want HDMI ran from where I intend AV cabinet to be to a) Where TV will be sat b) where projector will be mounted. Don't think there's any point in anything else?

Kitchen - speakers and TV (maybe control unit for a system)
    Bedrooms - speakers and TV (maybe control unit for a system)

So please help me out! Budget wise I'm not sure where to start. Part of me thinks that if the Cat6 is everywhere then I can build the system myself as I go along, but having it done for you at this build stage would always be nice!

I appreciate anything you have to offer in way of advice. Apologies for the huge post.

Regards

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Drop me a pm and sure we can help

3. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Done. Thanks.

4. Pont

Pont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I moved into a new build about a year ago doing something similar. I wouldn't recommend going through the builder for anything other than the cabling if possible. If you pay the builder for everything and then they pay the contractor they use, it may have extra costs added on and if you have a problem in the future it would be best to deal direct to the person who supplied the tech.

5. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks.

Well after speaking to the company that my builder use the home automation is apparently something like £16k... looks like I'll be going down the lightwaverf (or similar) route!

6. Pont

Pont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Still try and get loads of cabling in then you can build up your setup as your budget allows afterwards. Save smashing things in later on!

7. Swans1912

Swans1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've recently moved in to a Charles Church house but it was too late to customise what I wanted cabling wise etc. I'd get this done at a minimum - phone sockets / power socket at TV level if wall mounting / ethernet to all the main point in the house and back to a common location.

Charles Church didn't even place a power socket next to my BT master socket so having to run off an extension ***!

8. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thankfully the cabling doesn't seem to be too badly thought out as standard. I seemingly get 3 BT sockets as standard which I'm surprised by!

9. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Control4 is our system of choice. Rather than get bogged down with different products etc. try to find someone who can Marty you needs with your budget. Legrand seems to be heavily pushed into developers but would from any comparison I've made cost significantly more than C4. Finding the right integrator is probably the most important part of the project.

10. deadlydragon121

deadlydragon121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend Hikvision NVRs as well as their cameras (3MP). They are really cost effective for the quality you get. I'd stay away from analogue systems nowadays - they just don't cut it.

11. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah the Legrand system came out at around £16k through the housing developer. Far too much for what I'm trying to achieve.

If I'm honest, the separate apps don't bother me, but spending £10k+ just on the control system seems a bit crazy. Integration is great, but control4 and similar seem to be more than what I really want/need for this house.

Thanks for the recommendation on the NVRs, I'll be sure to check them out.

Some good progress being made with the house now. I met with the site manager finally to discuss cabling options etc. He has said that providing I have put down where I want all my additional power/phone/TV sockets, the rest is nothing to worry about yet. But he's happy for me to order in all the required CAT6/speaker cabling and any face plates that I want. Once I have everything and he is ready to actually begin doing the electrical work then we will be meeting to properly drawing up my plans for everything else.

So I'll be looking to buy solid core Cat6 ASAP as well as decent HDMI cable that can be run 10m+ for in the living room with all associated face plates. So any recommendations would be welcomed :D

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Try and avoid any HDMI cable over 10M as wont be High Speed, where you need over 10m you should be looking at HDBaseT extenders

13. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Seb. That's something I likely need to work out then in terms of distance. It will likely only be for the projector in the living room but thinking about it I might be able to get away with 10m..

Room details below with a rough floor plan. Planning to have the AV rack where the single seater is on the diagram..

[​IMG][​IMG]

I had considered having the room the other way to make better use of the length of the room for sound/picture, but many think width ways works best.

[​IMG]

14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Are you not linking the projector to the HDBaseT matrix ?

15. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Via the AV amp yes.

Plan is HDbaseT Matrix for Sky, CCTV, media + spare
    Feeds into the AV amp for the living room, but the AV amp in the living room will have a Bluray player connected directly. Hence I want to run HDMI straight from AV amp to projector.

Similar for the TV in the living room, that way I can share a single HDbaseT in the living room between 2 screens (TV & projector)

Does that make sense?

16. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes, I remember now, yes that should be ok.

17. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it worth going for an active HDMI cable to ensure that the run to the projector is as good as it can be?

18. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Active cables aren't a certified HDMI standard and could lead to compatibility issues in the future.

Best bet is to run a 10M (or 8M HDMi Cable) but also run a Cat6 cable as well as a backup

19. DinoKustas

DinoKustas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fair enough. I had planned to run CAT6 for network connectivity.

Worth running 2 x CAT6 extra to back of AV cab direct to projector to act as direct HDMI replacement should HDMI cable not be up to it?

20. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes thats what I would do, run a couple back to to AV cabinet. Maybe even three just to be on teh safe side