1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Build House

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by elmbeck, Dec 21, 2003.

1. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just after general advice about cabling for Sky TV. I have just put a deposit down on a house that is not yet built - so I can have some say about cabling in the house. What is the best way to get Sky from one box to multiple rooms ? I am thinking of having one of my two Sky+ boxes in the loft and splitting the signal to bedrooms, kitchen and office - will this need a booster in the loft?
    I already have an infra-red to radiowave remote extender which should work for changing channels.

The second Sky+ will be in the living room (Optical sound to Sony DAVS880).

Is normal TV cable OK ?

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    2nd point 1st. "Normal" Tv cable's not good enough. Ask your local electrical wholesaler for at least CT100 cable. Mine charged £9.99 for 100mtrs you'll also need "F" connectors for each cable end.

You should talk to the builder about running the cables before the blaster board goes over the stud partitiions. It keeps it nice and tidy :D

You may have to run the cables yourself if you're competant to do so (not the best idea as under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 you may be liable if anything happens to you or anyone else because of your work. Your new house build will probably come under the CDM Reg 1994 and you would need permission from the Principal Contractor to do the work) There now have I scared you.

Slip the site spark £20 and see what he'll do for you.:rotfl:

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might regret the box being in the loft!

Definitely run the four CT100 dish to box cables behind the plaster(board). But why not do the same for phone / network / audio / video? Although the cheapest is to distribute RF round the house, picture and sound quality won't be so good.

What about structured wiring? (cat5 cable all going to a central point where the box/broadband connection/main telephone line(s) are). You can use the cables for phone, network, (s-)video/audio depending on needs at the time.

4. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice - Wireless technology is now a viable option with audio, data and some video technologies (not using the old RF style radio). The wireless 802.11g format is best for your audio and possibly even Sky distribution (with the necessary adaptors). Phones cabling should not be considered as cordless phones are fine with one base, and wireless speakers are still c**p so wired speakers for each room are still a must.

5. sandant

sandant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had similar quandry last year, I opted for Labgear Handylink 4+4 MRX390 distribution amp for primary Sky system then wired RF2 uplink via labgear to room outlets - this allows Sky channel selection via IR eyes.

Second SKy system direcly connected

I used labgear's PSW242 T Dual gang faceplate (TV, FM/DAB, SAT + Telephone & Return link) for primary SKy+ and PSW122 T (TV,
    FM/DAB + Telephone) for all other rooms.

Probably not the best solution but works for me ;)

I used CT100 for all co-ax runs and CAT5 for all telephone runs

Have a look at www.labgear.co.uk

Regards

Tony

6. modeller

modeller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    my suggestion would be to star wire the house with Cat5 and CT100 coax.
    From each room bring back the coax and cat5 to a central hub, where you can then create a simple (or complex) patch board.
    Also run coax from the loft so that satellite, DAB etc can be patched in as well.
    Have your BT master sockets also terminated at the central hub, so that u can patch phone, ADSL into a router then you can patch IP networking etc.
    I ran 5 x coax from loft (4 sat, 1 dab) , 6 coax from living room, 2 coax other rooms, 2 - 4 cat5 per room. I have a sky+ box in the living room which feeds its composite video into a TV Link compatible amp in the central hub for broadcast throughout the house - TV Link allows IR control throughout the house.
    A second sat/freeview could be accomodated, though IR would be harder (hence a video mux might be required).

Its much easier and cheaper to add cabling as part of the first fix :)