New build house and coax cabling

tarnbrick

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have moved into a new build house and need to set up my TV, Computer, Internet etc. I need to have a TV aerial installed. I am confused by the coax cabling installed by the builders. There is a TV wall socket in the living room and one in a bedroom. In the loft the coax cable is a loop about 6 feet long which would appear to feed both TV sockets. I expected to find two cables waiting to be connected to a splitter which would then be connected to the aerial. But this is a continuous cable. So is it a single piece of coax that is connected to both TV sockets and is simply waiting to be cut in two by the aerial installer?After cutting attach both ends to a splitter and then cable from splitter to new aerial? can't think of any other explanation. It seems as though they have cabled one of the TV sockets then run the cable up to the loft where they have left a 6 foot loop after which it has gone back down to the other TV socket. Maybe this is the way builders do this nowadays.

It does sound like a single piece that needs cutting, from your description. Are you sure each end feeds the two sockets you mentioned and that there are no other cables in the loft ?

It does sound like a single piece that needs cutting, from your description. Are you sure each end feeds the two sockets you mentioned and that there are no other cables in the loft ?
It would appear to be the only cable in the loft. Each TV socket has coax inside it so I presume they both go up to the loft as one continuous cable. I suppose it is sort of logical.
Thanks for your interest.

Builders and Electricians don't really understand TV aerials and cabling.

The lounge to bedroom direct cable run would have suited the now defunct $ky RF2 out return feed; but equally could be cut to feed one room or both using a splitter.

Planning Your Install - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials and the associated pages are worth reading, especially regarding aerial type/choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom