1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New build HCPC won't boot to BIOS

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve1138, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP !

just switched on the newly assembled HCPC and can't get it to go into BIOS

ASUS P4P 800 MoBo (800 MHz FSB)
    P4 2.4C HT (800 MHz)
    --- SINGLE - Corsair XMS Cas2 512MB DDRRAM PC3200 ***EDIT*** this will now be swapped with 2 x 256 MB***
    Radeon 9500
    Seagate 80GB 7200rpm

is it because I only have a single DDRRAM ...
    I haven't seen anything (or in ASUS manual) that suggests that they have to be in matched pairs, other than when filling both A slots or B slots
    As the disk is new, there's no OS yet, so isn't it supposed to go straight into BIOS ?

If I don't press DEL it stays on the ASUS Ai logo screen.
    Press DEL it goes to screen where it acknowledges the BIOS vers., recognises the CPU details OK...then

"Entering Setup"
    <then Counts the RAM..>
    "DDR FRequency 400 MHz, Single-Channel or Virtual Single-Channel"
    "Checking NVRAM.."

"512MB OK"

"Auto detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk"
    "Ultra DMA mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK"
    <then seems to hang after this HDD check>

Only thing is - I'd put the blank new HDD into my Sky+ to see if it would work (which it did)...
    don't tell me there's smthg on the HDD now which is causing the new PC to choke while going into SETUP ?

Steve

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Hmm strange I would have thought you can get into the bios regardless of whether or not you've even got an HD plugged in.

Try holding down the delete key until you get into a bios screen rather than pressing it once.

If that fails chuck the OS disc into the drive. The Asus boards will normally get round to checking the CD drive at some point for a bootable device even if you can't get into the setting to change the boot device order. Then you can boot from the OS disc and reformat the drive do your clean install etc.

Could even try booting to a dos floppy and format the HD from there although I doubt the HD is your problem.

If that fails you can short out the CMOS ( motherboard manual will tell you how) to reset all the bios settings.

The fact that you are getting to the boot device detection stage suggests your missing the opportunity to enter the bios set-up stage. You could try unplugging the drive and see if that helps you get into the bios : like I said it shouldn't make a difference to whether or not it allows you in as it were.

3. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX for that...

Holding DEL gets me into BIOS... but only when the HDD is not connected.
    Can get into BIOS only if no IDE devices present or, with SONY DVD burner (is OK).

With HDD present it detects both IDE devices but still blocks in same place.

Was thinking to put this drive in my Home PC and try to format it there and then move back into the new HCPC....

????

Steve

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I had a similar problem a while back, it was the Corsair memory. It wasn't even faulty, Corsair have the habbit of using non-standard timmings which are incompatible with some motherboards. Never again, I'll stick to Crucial from now on.

5. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Double check the drive settings. If it's the only device, it should be set as a Master with the jumpers on the drive.

Also check your cabling. If you're using an 80core ATA100 cable, the blue end should be in the motherboard, the other end has the Master device, and the Slave device goes in the middle.

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX again...

Jeff - I also wondered about the MEM, as it's not listed as approved in the ASUS manual.
    But it does POST / > BIOS when the SONY DVD is connected... only when the HDD is connected does it halt.

Have put the disk in the Home PC.
    Can see some files which I guess were put there by the Sky+ installation, and it's FAT 32. Some files at the root and then 2 sub-dir's called "1" and "2" probably from the 2 quick test recording's I'd made,
    Wasn't able to delete everything out of there (all except the main data stream files of xx,xxx MB)
    ****EDIT****Those data files were protected somehow... I wonder if the Sky+ somehow locks the file / prevents disk access

Tried to format in XP (in a DOS window)... watched it as far as 72% but it failed overnight... also - I'd failed to offer the additional option comm's to convert to NTFS... so it somehow choked at > 72% on the fact that it was still FAT32
    Have just started it going to format in NTFS....

"..news at 11 !!.."

Steve

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had loads of trouble with my old sky+ drive, wouldn't recognise properly, couldn't use 98 boot floppy etc.

I ended up putting it in an xp machine as a slave and used the disk management software to format from within windows, set the partitions live etc before taking it out and starting again in the new machine, it then installed no problems.

I'm sure that's your problem.

8. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnS

so far, I'm 'with you on that'

The last Format attempt I made in XP (in DOS window, as native XP format wouldn't work).. also didn't work... But at least this time it went to 100% but then after trying to build file system it said it had failed. Quickly tried in HCPC and still won't boot properly into BIOS.

Also called my parts supplier and they said I should be using twin RAM modules and not just a single module !
    They were surprised I even got as far as I did (into BIOS without the HDD). But they DID say that they know the Corsair twin WILL work in the ASUS P4P 800 MoBo (and it's certified). They're sending me a twin 2x 256 DDR3200 CL2... but I still think it's probably a messed up HDD...

more later

Steve

(also the RADEON 9500 fan is very noisy so I ordered a ZALMAN passive heatpipe..)

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Try using the diskmanager in XP...right click on my computer and choose manage, from the list choose disk management and then select the drive and right click to choose options for formating etc, format as ntfs and choose the option to make it suitatble for installing an operating system and give it a drive letter.

10. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If you've got a DOS boot disk, try running fdisk /mbr - That will overwrite the Master Boot Record. It's possible something got messed up with it when it was plugged into your Sky box.

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That didn't work with my sky+ disk.:confused:

12. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bursar / JohnS... good ideas. THX

In XP, I just right clicked the Disk Letter >> "Format" and got a dialog with disk size, FS: NTFS (only option)... ran that.
    Will have to check yr route (JohnS) to see if it's same set of options I already tried.

The way I initiated it from in XP proper, it didn't seem to be working. Either the machine became unstable (screen went black), or my power saving came on and machine appeared to have frozen (with blank screen)... that's when I switched to doing it from a DOS window.
    I was pleased at the time that it appeared to work OK in the Sky+ (gives a quiter option than the current MAXTOR's...) but I sure as hell wish I hadn't bothered, now !!

For the DOS window attempt (from my feeble memory)
    <prompt> FORMAT F: FS:NTFS {set volume name ?} /X

as I said above, doing it from the DOS window, it appeared to format to 100% but "tripped up at the final fence"...

Keep the suggestions rollin' in !
    cheers
    Steve
    Maybe that Master Boot Record needs to be wiped out ?

13. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Use Partition Magic 7 or above on a bootable floppy in the other machine that allows you to get past the BIOS and partition/format it from there. Only takes a few minutes to partition/format a 120GB disc, but make sure error checking is OFF (Options menu)

14. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connected the drive as the Primary slave...
    Booted XP
    Went into My Computer (rt.ckick) >> "Manage"
    and deleted the partition on the new disk
    Reformatted it (sorry - didn't make a not of the settings.. woops)

and when reconnected to new PC - it works.
    Will now proceed with OS install etc...

thx for comments,
    Steve

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    :smashin: