Question New build for gaming, maybe some video/photo messing about, UW 34" 1440p - UK - £1500

j1mgg

Hi,

I am looking to move over to pc gaming from PS4 (mainly FPS games), and may also look to dapple with video/photo editing. Currently studying a digital forensics course which I use my laptop for, but a strong GPU could be of good use if needed. Will also need to look at gaming keyboard and mouse(are these fine for everyday use as well, as WFH 2 or 3 days a week), but not to be included in the budget.

Currently have:

XPS 13 (2in1) (i7-1065G7, 32GB 3733 LPDDR4, 1TB PCIe NVMe, IRUS plus Graphics, 13.4" 16:10 UHD+ WLED touch display 3840 x 2400)
Samsung CJ791 34" 21:9 3440x1440 100Mhz AMD Freesync
Astro A50s
Antec Three Hundred Two (case for old system)
EVGA Supernova B2 750W 80+ B (from old system, is this good enough as I think it was a low tier)

This is what has been suggested (Budget was £1200 then)

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor £183.18
CPU Cooler

ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler £36.99
Motherboard

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard £106.95
Memory

Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £88.09
Storage

Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £59.99
Video Card

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card £410.51

Total: £885.71

With the larger budget, would I be better to get 3700, then requires a new mobo, should ram be 3200/3400, is there a better card for the money for the monitor.

I am not fussed about RGB, or presentation of thecase as it sits on the floor under a table. A smaller case may be handy if it wasnt too much, and I live in scotland, so general temperature is pretty low.

Thanks,

Jim

richardb70

Distinguished Member
I have a 3700X with the B450 Tomahawk MAX and it's all good :)

duncfunk

As you mentioned video and photo editing I'd also say go for a 3700X. As Richard said, that combo should be fine. The rest of the components look solid although I've never heard of that SSD manufacturer. Might be worth upping that to something like a Samsung Evo?

richardb70

Distinguished Member
You might want to initially try the cooler that comes with the 3700X (if you go down that route) as it's supposedly quite good. Might save you some £££ :)

j1mgg

This is the latest
From overclockers
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo Red CPU Cooler - 2 x 120mm - £34.99
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard - £106.99
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 +free CoD - £689.99
£11 delivery

I was getting th ryzen 3700x from aria for £302 inc delivery, but it has went up in price.

and ram is just being a PITA

I have been advised Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 would be a good choice. Also seen patriot viper gaming 3600 cl17 which had a good review with the 3rd gen ryzen

Currntly not sure wether to get 16 or 32, and if i got 32, is 2 x 16 better, or 4 x 8?

Last edited:

Fe_man2000

get 16gb 2x8GB and upgrade to another 2x8gb later if needed (gaming doesnt need it at present)

And your SSD drive is too small - a lot of games coming in at 80GB+ now so that 512 will be full after a windows OS and some video and a couple of games. I have 2 x 256GB SSD's so I know this to be true ( and I also have a 1TB HDD for everything else and I am still having issues.) I play ARK survival which is aroung 109GB and installed destiny 2 last night at around 90GB for example. I always want the games and the OS on the faster SSD's so I am constantly uninstalling stuff to add whats new.

j1mgg

Thanks for the replies, i should if mentioned i do have a old 256gb ssd, and a 1tb hdd from my old machine.

Ordered this today, but have had an email from scan saying they cant find the gpu :(

A mix of amazon, scan, and aria

Ryzen 3700x
MSI B450 tomahawk max
Artic Freezer 34 esports duo
Gigabyte nvidia rtx 2080 aorus
Sabrent 1TB rocket
Patriot memory viper steel 3600 cl17 2 x 8Gb
Free call of duty download

£1346.03

Should all arrive tomorrow
:)

j1mgg

So, yesterday was the day all my sh*t was to arrive.

As you can see, it didnt.

I got a email late last wednesday night from scan to say there was a delay picking my gpu (supposedly it was damaged and it was the last one). For no extra charge i will now be getting the RTX super 8gb ventus oc, and other stuff delivered today before 12.

Attachments

j1mgg

Another day, another f-up by @scancomputers :(
Instead of my gpu, they have sent me a camera, and want me to return it to them, before they will even look at sending me out my gpu. They have already taken the full amount from my account 2 days ago.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Another day, another f-up by @scancomputers :(
Instead of my gpu, they have sent me a camera, and want me to return it to them, before they will even look at sending me out my gpu. They have already taken the full amount from my account 2 days ago.
Not your issue. Tell them the camera is ready for them to collect.
And that if your card isn't delivered in line with whatever you purchased (I.e next day delivery) you will ring your bank for a charge back.

JokerJack

I hate scan had so many issues returning items and things not being delivered when they say they would stopped using them as a result. Would rather pay a little more and go somewhere else. Best of luck getting all of your stuff

j1mgg

I was pretty pissed off with their response. Filled in a complaint and a twitter message later, i got a new card sent out for the next day.

Final build was

3700x
Tomahawk max b450
Patroit steel series 2x 8gb 3600Mhz
1Tb sabrent rocket m2
RTX2080 super gaming oc
Esport duo fan

Attachments