New build cabling under stairs

Danf88

Novice Member
Hi

I'm in a new build property and I'm confused about the aerial/ coax cabling in the house.

I have aerial sockets in all 3 bedrooms and the living room. I also have two satellite sockets in the living room on the wall.

In the cupboard under the stairs, I have a grey box, which has a bundle of cables inside of which I have 4 coax cables which are separate from each other, then I have two shotgun coax cables which are taped together and named "loft", I then have a shotgun coax cable and two normal coax cables taped together called "media".

I have been up to my loft and I have two shotgun coax cables.

So basically long story short I would like to install an aerial but I'm extremely confused with all the cabling and how to connect it all up or what to connect

I have had an aerial man round and he quoted me over £300 for the job but didn't even have a look at my set up.

Any help would be welcome.
IMG_20210504_164228.jpg
IMG_20210504_164300.jpg
IMG_20210504_164314.jpg

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Ask the Builder for the Specifications as to what was supposed to be installed and to where and for what these cables were intended?

Floorplan and cables IDs to the various room outlets could assist.

We'll be guessing wildly otherwise.

Bundling like that with random nomenclature is unhelpful of the installers... but typical of new builds.

It'll take time and perseverance with a meter or similar to find and label all the cables so both ends of each are uniquely identified.

NB shoutgun cables can easily be split to two singles.

Lounge shotgun might go to loft (for connection to a sat dish LNB/multiswitch if desired... as might the shotgun under the stairs to 'hide' a sat box...
Guesses.
Guesses.

Note there are Cat5/6 ethernet jacks in abundance and some are marked... but not all?

Danf88

Novice Member
Hi,

yeah I've spoke to the building company in regards to getting the cable plans and so far they have been extremely unhelpful.

I do have an owner's manual which states the satellite cables for Sky Q is located in a weather proof box at eaves level. So I'm assuming the shotgun cables aren't for the satellite but who knows with new builds these days.

I will try and speak to the developer again and see if I get any further.

Also in regards to the cat6 cables the developer yet again didn't label up anything so the two that are labelled are what I have done by process of elimination 😅

Thanks for replying.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Cat 5 will be easy to identify with a laptop and a patch cord to your router.

Similar process for the coaxes by shorting inner to outer and using a multimeter on ohms/sounder to find that short rather than open circuit. Accessing that eaves box may be a challenge too far. They'll be the two you can't find via the multimeter method, hopefully.

$ky butchers technicians will prefer to drill hole through the wall than use any pre-installed cables.

You can pay an installer to do the tracing for you, it's a time vs cost thing.

Data Networking Tools | Data Networking | Screwfix.com have the LAN and a Coax tester - but a multimeter is a better buy if you don't have one already (much more useful).

Danf88

Novice Member
Luckily I have a multimeter so I may have to give that a try.

We got Sky already installed and like you said they went straight through the wall, which I didn't mind cause it's easier to hide, rather that going through the massive multiservice wall plate that we have.

So would it be possible, if Identify the shotgun cable in the loft is the same one under the stairs, and the single coaxial cables are the ones going to the bedrooms. could I connect the split shotgun cable to a 4 ways aerial amplifier under the stairs and obviously connect the other side of the shotgun cable in the loft to an aerial?

Hopefully that makes sense 😂

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Yes.
Identify the cables that feed the TV sockets you want fed from an aerial and then one to the loft space for an aerial to connect to.

TV reception in the UK is planned / designed around external, directional rooftop aerials (10 m above ground level) with some signal gain.
Roof materials can attenuate the signal a lot cf outside (I use a 10dB loss figure - 1/10th).
Loft aerials just about make up for that loss.
Cables and their connections then lose a bit more. Passive splitting even more (2-way 4dB, 3/4-way 8dB) and a low gain amplified splitter is often needed. Passive is better if the levels are sufficient to do that.

The 'eaves' connection point may be repurposed for an external aerial if you have to go outside? Some places need high gain aerials and, sometimes, masthead amplifiers to get a good enough signal.

Location (a nearby postcode of shop, pub etc.,.) will allow predictions to be used. Wolfbane is one for signal level (although out of date for frequencies and powers often). Freeview (in detailed view mode) provides the time-related interference prediction levels by the UK spectrum planners for the different transmitters (if more than one).

Home Page - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials has a wealth of information in the Knowledge area that's worth reading. Especially the Loft aerials and Choice of Aerials parts.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom