New Build - AV / Cable Advice

JDR82

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, we are in the process of having a new house built, foundations are in and current stage is the frame / walls going up.

As standard our developer as standard is running 1 x Coax and 1 x Cat6 to the following rooms:
  • Living Room
  • Kitchen / Dining / Family Room
  • Each Bedroom (3)
  • Study
All of this routes back to the under stairs cupboard, where the satellite and aerial cables will also be run to. I will be honest I hadn't given the cabling much thought and wanted to get some advice on anything we should be taking the chance to do now whilst its easier, my initial thought to immediately double the CAT6 cables to each room but beyond that not too sure on what we can do.

I had been looking at HDMI over cat6 etc. anything that would let us throw the SkyQ box in the cupboard and route it to whichever room we are using but its possibly all overkill for our use.

Without a good idea of your requirements some form of ‘generic’ cabling and if possible cable ways (conduit) is the only option.

Most AV installers will run a minimum of two (usually four) CAT cables to each zone and also have a look at where you may wish to place a cabled wireless access point - which may include the garden and or out buildings.

Centralised AV is less popular than three or four years ago as we move towards TV‘s being a streaming Source, Bluetooth control, local sources being ‘cast’ to the TV/audio system and varying capabilities across your zones.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom