New Build!! AE AV12 Sealed

gregmcquaid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some advice on a new sealed build using an AE AV12 driver.

I managed to pick the driver up off ebay for £99.

I am looking for a design that compromises between size and performance, looks like some eq will be on the cards to boost the low down response.

Cheers,
Greg

Here is what i have knocked up so far:

65 litre sealed enclousure, no stuffing.

See attached response and excursion graphs.

Attachments

• CB Response AE AV12.gif
    CB Response AE AV12.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 120
  • CB Excursion AE AV12.gif
    CB Excursion AE AV12.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 136
That is be a good driver :smashin:. The model look ok, and you might not need any more eq than whats built into your avr if you have a good room.

IIRC that size is about right. What power did you model it with though out of interest. When I get home I'll have a go at the model and see what it comes up with just for reference against yours, but I think your about right there.

<EDIT>

I see you modelled it with 500 watts, which is about right for that size box. I reckon the QTC might be a bit low though, depending on what your aiming for. You could put it in a smaller box and increase the power if you wanted. Performance would be the same but with a higher QTC, which is what I would do..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Looking for some advice on a new sealed build using an AE AV12 driver.

I managed to pick the driver up off ebay for £99.

I am looking for a design that compromises between size and performance, looks like some eq will be on the cards to boost the low down response.

Cheers,
Greg
You may be surprised how little EQ you need.

Bear in mind that if you are using a typical 80Hz crossover, then the receiver will impose a -3dB response at 80Hz. It will take a bit of imagination, but subtract 3dB from the modeled response at 80Hz, tapering down to nothing at about 40Hz and you will have a better idea of the response your proposed subwoofer will actually deliver once hooked up to your system.

Now, whilst that gradually falling response may look alarming, you also need to account for +12dB/octave 'room gain' below your room's lowest room mode. This means that an apparently disappointing bottom end when modeled, may well transfer into quite a satisfyingly flat result once in a room.

Of course, what cannot be predicted are the issues between the crossover point and the lowest room mode - these are the frequencies for which EQ may be required. I'd get the sub built (go as large as you can without challenging Xmax) and then worry about EQ once you know what you are dealing with.

Russell

Just bear in mind that going to large will rob you of the upper bass sound in favour of very clean low down output. Thats fine if its your goal, but go to clean and you may find you feels the sub lacks a little musicality.

Have been playing around with unibox some more and i have come up with this:

35l Box, QTC 0.708, no stuffing. 500 watts

Response and excursion graphs attached.

On the plus side of this design it's small which is ideal and even with 500 watts excursion is well bellow it's linear travel so that leaves me some room headroom to boost low down if needs be.

But there has to be some drawbacks to a box this small? any ideas?

T/S Param's:

Fs: 24.85Hz
Qms: 6.46
Qes: .486
Qts: ..452
Vas: 48.44 L
Re: 2.79 ohm
Z: 4 ohm
(dual 2ohm)
BL: 16.04 Tm
Cms: .143 mm/N
Mms: 286.8g
Rms: 6. 937kg/s
Le: 2.95mH
Pe: 500W cont.
2.83V: 88.42dB
Xmax: 23 mm
Xsus: 30 mm
Sd: 498 sq cm
Vd: 2.33 L

Im not sure if these are correct as i am finding it hard to get any information on the older Acoustic Elegance AV12, those parameters above are based on the stryke av12 with i believe was made by tc sounds and is basically the same as the ae av12.

Cheers,
Greg

Whoops forgot graphs!!

Attachments

• CB Response AE AV12.gif
    CB Response AE AV12.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 79
  • CB Excursion AE AV12.gif
    CB Excursion AE AV12.gif
    20 KB · Views: 63
The plus side of a smaller sub is excursion is reduced for a given amount of power, but the down side is that its at a loss of low end performance and/or a requirement of more needed power.

Generally the larger the box, the deeper the sub will go and the less power it will need and it can also help give a smoother response, but the larger the box the easier it is for the driver to move and hit its limit, so you need to find the best limit. Also QTC lowers with a larger box to you may need to monitor that.

There is nothing wrong with a smaller box, but it will need more power to realise its potential, I think that will be its limitting factor for you more than anything, although 500 watts will only suffer a 3db loss on max spl against 1000 watts, so not a massively big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was looking at this very driver on that certain site you had it from,
It does model quiet well in a small box. I also played with coupling it with there passive radiator and got some nice results in a relative small enclosure. a couple of graphs using bass box pro below

Attachments

• 23-01-2010 15-58-02.jpg
    23-01-2010 15-58-02.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 23-01-2010 15-59-52.jpg
    23-01-2010 15-59-52.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 99
Just an update.

Driver turned up at work today, unfortunatly was off sick today so have not had a chance to look at it and get some pictures up on here.

I think i am going to settle on a 65l box, qtc will be around 6.3.

Aiming for a QTC of 7.07 results in a 40l box, the problem with this box is that it is going to need (i think) a big boost down low to get the bottom end up.

Thats why i have settled on the 65l box as it is a better trade of between qtc and a better natural frequency response, so hopefully it wont require much (if any) boost to get the desired response and it is within xmax with 500 watts up it's arse!!!

Here are the T/S params if any ones interested:

Fs: 24.85Hz
Qms: 6.46
Qes: .486
Qts: ..452
Vas: 48.44 L
Re: 2.79 ohm
Z: 4 ohm
(dual 2ohm)
BL: 16.04 Tm
Cms: .143 mm/N
Mms: 286.8g
Rms: 6. 937kg/s
Le: 2.95mH
Pe: 500W cont.
2.83V: 88.42dB
Xmax: 23 mm
Xsus: 30 mm
Sd: 498 sq cm
Vd: 2.33 L

Cheers,
Greg

Update:

Just got around to unboxing the subwoofer and have hit a bit of a problem.

Basically the subwoofer cone/voice coil seems to be stuck, it will not move in and out without using force and even when it does move it makes some unpleasent noises.

Now i assume it should not do this as i have built a few home/car subwoofers in the past and all of the drivers have moved freely.

So does it sound fubared? Have emailed the seller to see what he has to say.

Suffice to say i am not very happy as i had really got myself geared up for this build and now it has all gone south. :mad:

Cheers,
Greg

it should move freely with a little resistance from the foam/rubber surround. there should be no grating/rubbing noise. does the basket or magnet assembly look out of line at all, as iff its being dropped.

Its dead, if you connect the terminals to a 1.5 volt battery the cone should show some decent excursion. But it don't, you can just here the voil coil scrapping.

Just wating to hear back from ebay seller.

Anyways i am on the lookout for a new driver, anyone got any suggestions?

Was trying to do this on a "budget" so importing from the s
usa might be difficult.

There is no way I can believe the seller didnt know about this unless it was never used and sold as new.

If you want to import one of these from the US then I can do that for you. Initial coast is about £165, and duty will need to be added to that one they arrive in the UK at around 20%. I have a thread up here about it if your interested.

Update:

Been in contact with the seller of the AV12 and i now maybe getting my hands on an Adire Audio Brahma!!!

30mm x-max, models well in small enclosures and takes lots of power.

But this might not a done deal yet, but i can hope!!!!

Regards,
Greg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom