Question New build advice

GreyMutton

Hi all,

So I'm looking to build a new gaming PC as a wee project but I'm out of the loop. I've built a couple before but it was a while ago.
My partner is going to buy a couple of bits for my birthday to start me off and I'll add more month by month until I have everything.
I'm going to start with the case, motherboard and maybe ram or SSD.
I'm definitely going for AMD so I understand I'm best going for a B550 model but I'm unsure which. Built in WiFi or get a separate card? Not bothered about overclocking, just want something solid and reliable with decent built in features so I don't need to look at add in cards where possible.
As for the case I'd prefer something understated and quiet. Not interested in RGB lights, windows etc. Bedroom furniture is white so if it matches that'd be great.

I've been looking at these:

MSI AMD B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro-ATX Motherboard

ASRock B550M-HDV Micro-ATX AMD AM4 Motherboard

Cooler Master S400 Silencio Steel Quiet Micro ATX PC Gaming Case

be quiet! Pure Base 500 White Mid Tower PC Gaming Case

Fractal Define R6 White USB-C Midi PC Gaming Case

My concern with the micro ATX cases is that they might make the build tricky, especially given I'm a bit rusty. On the other hand they other half won't appreciate a massive PC sitting in the bedroom :rolleyes:

Budget for the case, mobo and maybe the ram or SSD is around £250.

Sorry for the length of this post and thanks in advance.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
My concern with the micro ATX cases is that they might make the build tricky, especially given I'm a bit rusty. On the other hand they other half won't appreciate a massive PC sitting in the bedroom :rolleyes:

It's not size but layout that makes a build tricky. The trouble comes when you have components layered over other components, without having parts of the case come away to get to the first components.

Generally wider cases are the trickiest to design well because there are more components side by side and you have to reach in further. Thinner cases tend to be less problematic.

I have a tiny little case where you can't fit more than a couple of fingers between components anywhere, but it's only 7cm thick so everything is instantly accessible as it's little different from having it laid out on the desk in front of you.

GreyMutton

Hmm I didn't consider that, but it makes sense. I saw a Corsair mATX case that looked interesting but it's very wide. Also a bit expensive so I'll give that a miss.
Ok so I'm definitely leaning towards a mATX case. I'll do some more research on those.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's only a general guideline in that you should scrutinise those more closely to see how good access is, not that they should be avoided entirely.

What sort of system are you looking at? How many expansion slots do you envision using, if any, and what sort of power draw/heat output are you aiming for?

GreyMutton

It's only a general guideline in that you should scrutinise those more closely to see how good access is, not that they should be avoided entirely.

What sort of system are you looking at? How many expansion slots do you envision using, if any, and what sort of power draw/heat output are you aiming for?

So, after me saying I don't want RGB lights and windows, I opted for the Corsair 280x crystal case :rotfl: I kid myself that I'm grown up haha.
I won't be doing xfire or SLI and I'm leaning towards a mobo with WiFi built in.
CPU I was looking at the 3600 but thinking I should maybe spend extra for an 8 core. I'll probably wait till the new gen ryzens are out before buying.
I think I might go with a 3070 (or thereabouts) when released or go for a previous gen card as they'll drop in price.
Not going to be using mechanical hard drives at all. At least one 1tb m.2 drive and maybe a regular SSD for storage.
Thinking that around 500w PSU should be enough? I'm a stickler for those so I'll get something solid, any recommendations there is appreciated. Last time I built seasonic were well thought of but no idea now...
Thanks again for your time, it's appreciated.

Grimley

Nvidia recommends a 750watt PSU for a 3070, looking at reviews I would say they are right.
Seasonic, Corsair, Superflower are all good, but expect to pay 3 figures at least for a 750watt one from any of them.
1TB M.2 , Sabrent Rocket or WD SN550. dont pay over the odds for a Samsung.

GreyMutton

Nvidia recommends a 750watt PSU for a 3070, looking at reviews I would say they are right.
Seasonic, Corsair, Superflower are all good, but expect to pay 3 figures at least for a 750watt one from any of them.
1TB M.2 , Sabrent Rocket or WD SN550. dont pay over the odds for a Samsung.
They recommend 650W for the 3070. It's 750W for the 3080 unless I'm mistaken?

GreyMutton

Also I ended up losing patience and bought all the parts (some from fellow forumites) so the build starts this weekend :D

Ended up with this:

Corsair 280X Crystal white
AMD 3700x
MSI B550M MAG Mortar WiFi motherboard
Corsair H100i Platinum
RTX 2060 super
32GB Team force Vulcan Z 3200mhz ram
2Tb Adata XPG SX8200 Pro m.2 nvme drive
Corsair RM650x power supply

I'll upgrade the graphics card next year once there's actual stock and after I upgrade my monitor.

So I'm pretty pleased with what I have, can't wait to get it up and running!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom