New Budget TV

Barnes1988

Novice Member
Good morning everyone.

Our 42" Hitachi TV when turned on yesterday had a black screen but we did have audio. Looking at getting it fixed but no idea how much it will cost.

The other alternative is to get a new TV as we have had this one for quite some time.

I have a high end Samsung TV upstairs in the Man Cave but we spend a lot of time downstairs, especially with our toddler and the last few days have been frustrating having no TV.

I am on the lookout for a 42-50" TV for downstairs and all we will be using it for is watching movies, Sky & Netflix with possibly the PS4 being brought down to play on it very occasionally.

Really don't mind about the brand, just looking for a budget good TV for no more than around £350.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thank you

vickster

Distinguished Member
Hisense in budget with 6 year warranty?

LG ^^ £50 over budget and only a 1 year warranty (and from Currys)

RS have a similar model with 6 year warranty

Or JL

Dodgexander

There's a host of 50" options if you want a VA panel and 49" if you want IPS here:

Each have their pros and cons. LG for example have very good smart TV.

Barnes1988

Novice Member
There's a host of 50" options if you want a VA panel and 49" if you want IPS here:

Each have their pros and cons. LG for example have very good smart TV.
I honestly don't mind really. Just looking for a good solid smart TV around £350 or less. May I ask what the difference is between VA & IPS? Will take a look at all these recommendations now, thank you all for your help.

vickster

Distinguished Member
I honestly don't mind really. Just looking for a good solid smart TV around £350 or less. May I ask what the difference is between VA & IPS? Will take a look at all these recommendations now, thank you all for your help.
With VA you need to view pretty much head on, blacks are better. IPS you can view from an angle.
What do you want from Smart TV as LG currently lack catch up services, but yiu could attach a firestick

Dodgexander

The main difference between one TV and another is panel type, so its a good idea to use that as the basis of making a decision. It should be explained in the opening post of the guide.

You mentioned two TVs in this thread. The Hitachi you are intending to replace is probably IPS, whilst your Samsung is likely VA.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom