1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Budget CDP vs Old Mid Priced CDP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Lostinapc, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at spending around £100 pounds on a cd player. I think the best new player I could get is a Marantz 5400. Would it be better to get an older cd player such as the Cambridge Audio CD4/6 from ebay. How does that compare? Have cd players moved on much?

It'll be running on a Denon 1705 and Acoustic Energy Evo 3s.

Thanks a lot

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I have no knowledge of the CD players but the technology is quite mature and therefore an expensive CD player from 5 years ago is still going to beat a budget player available today.

What is your budget

3. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my budget is £100, basically some christmas money that i'll be getting. i'm a student and owe thousands :(

i'll keep looking on ebay, the only problem is most of the players are black (not silver)

4. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hia,

You can have my Arcam Alpha 5 that has been modded to Alpha 6 spec by Arcam for £100 if you fancy.

It is a £600 player that won awards in its day.

Works fine but doesn't seem to tolerate cdr's and skips with these.

PM me if your interested.

Cheers,
    Adam.

5. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm certainly glad that I bought my CDP second hand rather than spending £350 on a new player. I was very limited indeed as to my choices at the £350 mark when buying new, but the second hand market was rich in just about every make that I could think of.

I think in terms of sound quality you'd be better buying a more expensive design, which normally results in a sturdier chassis and a better power supply. The DAC won't be all that bad in a player of 5 years old.

Silver might be a problem, as it didn't really start becoming a popular colour for AV kit until quite recently.

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    If they ever started putting really good DA converters in budget CD players, which is feasible nowadays because thats what is beginning to happen in the soundcard market, then theres every possibility that audio players could be better than more expensive older designs.... but hifi companies will not do that, as its not really in their interest - they will always want you to buy their more expensive kit.... read into that what you will ;)

7. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i've gone for a nad c542 for £165 which is only a couple of months old
    so that is considerably better than i could have bought otherwise and still pretty new :)