New broadband provider wanted with quicker upload speed

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by john87, Jun 28, 2003.

1. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I am on NTL's 600Kb service at £25 a month and need a quicker upload speed for hosting on Xbox Connect.

NTL's upload speed is 128Kb and the 1Mb service has an upload speed of 256Kb.. still not really fast enough and a bit expensive at £35 a month.

Who would be a good provider with a quicker upload speed? Preferably 384Kb+ so I can host 3 additional Xboxes at 128Kb per Xbox.

It also needs to be compatible with my Linksys BEFSR41 router... although I can't see this being a problem, I'm just making sure :)

2. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there're ISPs in UK with reasonable price vs speed.

Most of UK's ADSL's (if not all) are limited to tiny bandwidth. 512down/256up, 1024down/256up, 2048down/256up.
    Uploads are all limited to riduculously tiny 256kbps. Even their downloads speeds are are too slow, and tiny, IMO. And all of them are simply not enough to host servers with more than 8~9 players without lag.

Some of my friends in Japan, and Korea are using 15Mbps VDSL, and 100Mbps (same up, and down) new connections paying around 25 quid per month. :eek: Yep, it is one hundred MEGA bits per second.

Only god knows why we're so behind in UK. :(

3. why2pac

why2pac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me thinks we should take this matter to the courts. Consumers are losing alot and pay too much for a service, which is almost free now in other countries.

4. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There must be some with good uploads, as I've seen UK servers hosting many players.

5. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah.. AFAIK, ADSL is sort of non-existent in some of Asian countries. 15Mbps VDSL seems quite common in Korea, and they're getting rid of VDSL to move on to new connections with 100Mbps of up/down bandwidth. (I forgot the name of the technology, but the service name is KT(Korean Telecom) nTopia, AFAIK.)

There are some UK based servers hosting 64 players in Tribes2 on PC. But they're not based on ADSL stuff, I think.

I've been trying to find an ISP with minimum 2Mbps upload in UK under 100 quid per month with no luck. :(

It seems that UK is trying to move on to SDSL from ADSL now... look at the price tag for each bandwidth. This not not even VDSL, but inferior SDSL. :(
    http://www.zenbroadband.com/sdsl/

Outrageous, isn't it... We have to pay bloody 295 quid per month for 2Mbps up/down SDSL, while Japanese/Koreans pay around 15 quid for 15Mbps VDSL, and 30 quid for 100Mbps super-fast connection. :(

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Their Governments subsidise it :) Ours prefer to subsidise American war efforts :p

7. Maff UK

Maff UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The UK servers hosting a lot of players I've seen have tended to be people based in university halls, or in other similar establishments, and are piggybacking on the university network and it's FAT internet pipe... You're looking at a minimum of a T1 connection (1.5mb), possibley a T3 (45mb)... Even though it's shared throughout the network it's more than enough to host a full game on Live!

8. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try new Buldoggdsl.com service with 400KB upload. Get two lines installed and use load balancing router to double the capacity (something like NexLand Pro800 Turbo.

There are other more expensive routers that would load balance over 4 DSL lines. Solutions exists but they are not cheap.

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Thanks for the info Branxx :)

Shame that Bulldog's coverage for PrimeTime 400UL doesn't extend quite this far south :(

10. Siljrath

Siljrath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    woah, 2003... here we are in 2009 and not much has changed.

uk still sluggish to get on with the high speed up/down connections.

~still looking for faster than 32KB up (256Kb), way up in orkney isles

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    If you need ISP class service, pay a a telco to pull a fibre into you home and pay ISP class service charges. If you want it cheap, put up with DSL.

I was chatting with some German students last year who were astounded that we don't have fibre to the home in Blighty. In Britain we seem to want the world, but never want to pay for it.

Of course, if the Government was paying attention, they'd insist that fibre was installed in all new build premises (and solar panels while they're at it,) but that would probably distract them too much from fiddling their expenses.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009