• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Bracket for a 50" Plasma!

JAMIN

Standard Member
Hi there,

I need some advice on what bracket type to purchase. I'm moving house in a couple of weeks time & due to the shape of the new living room my 50" plamsa will need to be wall mounted rather than on the stand in the corner as it is at present!

However having never bought a bracket before I dont know what is most suitable for me! If you could give me any advice on whether getting a tilt, or swivel, or cantilever, or slimline is my best bet I would be most grateful!

Cheers

Member252055

Prominent Member
Hi

It all basically depends on where you want to have the TV.

If you want to keep the TV in the corner but not have a stand then you can use a cantilever type or a dedicated corner bracket. If you are viewing straight on to the TV then you can go for a flat bracket or a tilting one depending on mounting height.

Whether to go slimline of not depends on the TV; Some TVs, although slim, don't have much accomodation for cables so you may struggle to get the cables from the back.

First thing to do is decide where you want the TV, work out where and how high it needs to go and then have a look for the most suitable bracket. If you can put some more details on here then people will be able to help more; TV model, location, room size etc...

Hope this helps.

Regards
Graham

JAMIN

Standard Member
Thanks for that Graham.

It is going to be in the middle of the wall (there is no fireplace!) and the room is 6.1m x 3.35m. Height-wise it will be mounted at the most suitable height for viewing from the sofa. The room has a window at one end & a patio door at the other. Finally my TV is a LG 50PC1DA.

Thanks again!

Member252055

Prominent Member
Hi

In that case, just a flat or tilting universal bracket should do the trick.

Height-wise, the optimum height for a TV is meant to be so your eyeline is level with the top of the bottom third of the screen. Unfortunately this usually means that the TV ends up far too low on the wall and looks a bit silly in most normal houses. As Plasmas aren't as angle-sensitive as LCDs you can usually mount a Plasma up to 1.5m from the floor without needing tilt as long as the TV doesn't reflect any light fittings etc.

Tilting a 50" TV usually means that the bracket has to be deeper and also the tilt will take the TV quite a long way off the wall. This may be too much of a compromise aesthetically.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Graham

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom