New box. Should be 2tb but is it 1tb?

anticlaus105

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I had my 2tb v1 box swapped recently. I now have an all black box. I assumed it was a v3 2tb box. When trying to cast it comes up as "sky q 1tb box####". Have I recieved a 1tb box by mistake and how do I tell?

EDIT: This is what was ordered:
geghughugh.jpg

Yet this page suggests I do have a 1TB model: How to check which Sky box and software version you have | Sky Help. 🤬 useless Sky.

Edit2: reading that link suggests only 1tb v3 boxes are uhd. Is that correct?

Last edited:
No I have the 2tb v3 box....I had to have a new box as my v2 2tb box was faulty.

All sorted. New box on the way. He also said they only want the box back so I can can keep the remotes etc.

cool - I had sky q installed last week. Engineer walked in with a 1tb box under her arm. Hang on I said - I ordered a 2tb. Oops I'll swap it she said. It's easy done so we always need to keep an eye out for these things happening.

Mine shows up as a 1TB when casting via Google which I believe is a known issue. Airplay shows as a 2TB.

Mine shows up as a 1TB when casting via Google which I believe is a known issue. Airplay shows as a 2TB.

They could do with fixing that. I checked in the recordings menu and with around 500GB of recorded material it is showing the storage as around 50% used.

New box arrived. It's a V2. With all the audio dropout reports with the V3, which I experienced too, I'm interested to see how this preforms. I noticed when setting it up it says "Dolby Digital Plus" is only available with 2TB boxes. I think I forgot to change the audio setting on the last box anyway and would never have remembered, so it's good I ended up getting a swap.

Last edited:
Turned tv on earlier no signal. Turned sky box off and on which the box seemed to responded to and still nothing. Checked tv and on correct input. Took a power cycle which is more difficult with the daft plug this box uses to get it working.

And it's done it again. Time for another box.

Problem went away for a bit. Tried a uhd movie last night and box moaned it needed to be set uhd. I thought it already was but alas it was on 1080. Switched it to 2160. Today turned it on and TV showing no signal again. Power cable pull and it's working. Time to call sky. Shame as audio has been perfect. Going to push for a v3. Are sky likely to oblige?

I have the same problem sky engineer coming out this Sunday.
So I will ask for a V3 box to replace V2 box.

[Same fault that I had with the 2TB V2 box I had installed a couple of weeks ago. The hard drive was hellishly noisy too. I reported it as duff on the Sky website and they couriered a new box to me less than 24 hours later and took the old one away. It was pure luck that the new one was a V3 and is virtually silent and hasn't crashed once. Hopefully it stays that way.

Phoned Sky and they insisted on a few troubleshooting steps and a software download. I was advise to bring the box out of standby using the home and not the power button. Not so easy to explain to a 5 year old (or my wife o_O) . Then it locked up twice shortly after so phoned again and engineer is coming next week. I considered asking for a dpd box swap but am worried they may send a v2 or another 1Tb. At least with a engineer present I can ask for a v3 and make sure it's 2Tb. Also had this joy last night while trying to watch Twilight Zone, which I didn't realise was UHD:
20201013_214620.jpg

20201013_214657.jpg
20201013_214719.jpg

This box is an absolute POS. Am tempted to fit a smart plug so I can reboot it more easily until the new box arrives.

Phoned Sky and they insisted on a few troubleshooting steps and a software download. I was advise to bring the box out of standby using the home and not the power button. Not so easy to explain to a 5 year old (or my wife o_O) . Then it locked up twice shortly after so phoned again and engineer is coming next week. I considered asking for a dpd box swap but am worried they may send a v2 or another 1Tb. At least with a engineer present I can ask for a v3 and make sure it's 2Tb. Also had this joy last night while trying to watch Twilight Zone, which I didn't realise was UHD:
View attachment 1381413
View attachment 1381412View attachment 1381411
This box is an absolute POS. Am tempted to fit a smart plug so I can reboot it more easily until the new box arrives.

Man, that's tedious. I'd have gone for the DPD box swap anyway - you might have got lucky and you might have got a box that actually worked. You can check the serial number without opening the box with DPD so could technically reject the delivery if it was a V1. Anyway, fingers crossed your engineer is clued up and has a V3 on their van next week. The guy who installed my original V2 was clueless and had no idea about the different types of box.

Well that was an experience, Sky came today to try and fix my box.
Show him the fault and he agreed it was faulty so said he will fit a new box I asked for a V3 box and he acknowledged and said he will look,came back with a box he started to fit it and I noticed the silver underneath and and no power block I said is that a new box as the box it’s self came in was old and tatty,He said it was as they don’t do refurbished box.(So how he has a V1 box I don’t know)
then I said that’s a V1 box he said no they don’t do V1 box anymore he was adamant that it wasn’t a V1 box so I asked the hardware number looked it up on the sky website and show him it was a V1 box no HDR.
Then he started saying there is no V3 it doesn’t exist this time I know he is lying through his teeth.
So I asked him to put the other box back which he did and left leaving me to set it up again.
So phoned them up for a new V3 box as she said they can’t send out a 2Tb box only 1Tb box so now got sky coming out tomorrow to fit a new box hopefully.

Update
Had another Sky engineer out today completely different experience compared to yesterday this one could not have been more helpful and friendly even though he had been given wrong information about my problem.
He did not have a V3 box in his van.But he managed to get one from another Sky engineer and came back and fitted it 2 hours later.
Goes to show there are some excellent Sky engineers out there and some not so.
The problem now seem to be fixed I have turned on the Playstation and then off about 4 times now and no black screen when turn back to Sky so hopefully it’s all sorted.
So if you had the same problem as me get onto sky for them to change your box to a V3.

Sky engineer here now. He's messing with dish for some reason. Said low signal but I've never had any signal issues. He also found a new "v3" box with Es140-uk on the box. Gonna have to have a word when he tries to install it if it turns out it has a silver trim.

Hmm....
20201023_103652.jpg

Apparently they only do the silver trim ones now. It didn't help that it was split in 2 and he had to clip the top back when he took it out of the box. I've taught him about the different boxes and he's now calling a colleague to see if he can source a v3. Do they really not know or do they just play dumb?

***! It split in two?! Don't you just love having to teach someone how to do their job? Unbelievable.

Still got my old box as he couldn't find a v3. Said he had no idea sky were sending out v1. He's going to try and source a v3 and call me back later today, if not will cancel the job down.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom