New box - picture keeps breaking up

scookar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem before? I had my new HD box installed on tuesday and within 5 mins of the installer leaving, i started getting lines of distortion on the picture. over the next couple of minutes it started getting steadily worse until it covered half the screen and then all the screen. eventually i lost the picture altogether and the tv came up with a message saying it was getting no signal from the sky box. put the box into standby, turned it back on again and all was well for the next 5 mins until the picture slowly started degrading again.

had to phone sky 3 times before they agreed to send an engineer out to look at the box. he is coming on saturday. they are insisting that the dvi connection on the tv is faulty. however, i pointed out that my dvd is also connected via dvi (using a hdmi switcher) and that I have no probs with that at all.

i'm wondering whether it is anything to do with the hdcp handshaking between the tv and the sky box although no other sagem owners appear to have reported this problem in the hdcp thread. hoping the engineer will just switch the box over and that will cure it.

things i have tried to diagnose the problem are:-
- connected the box via scart. still get a clean picture on scart when the hdmi picture is breaking up
- reset the box by turning off at the mains and unplugging it, waiting 30 secs and then restarting. fixes the problem for about 5 mins and then it returns.
- swapped the hdmi cable for the one i use for my dvd player. still get the problem
- changed the port i use on the hdmi switcher for the sky box. still get the problem
- checked the signal strengths and quality on both lnbs. sky made me do this three times even though they are up to about 80-90% each time! they also made me power down the lnb and power it up even though i had told them that the picture on scart is fine.

things i am going to try later:-
- bypass the hdmi switcher and connect the sky box directly to the tv. don't think this will make a difference but want to eliminate the switcher as i'm sure the engineer will try and tell me it is faulty
- connect via component so that at least i am getting a hd picture whilst i wait for the sky man.

Hi,

My first comment would have been, try connecting the box directly into the HDMI slot in the TV.

If the Scart (RGB/Normal) works, this would suggest that the digital output through HDMI is at fault.

By connecting directly to your TV, you should be know whats going on.

Could it be a faulty HDMI lead from Sky ? do you have another one to test against?

Good luck mate..

PS - have you checked your signal inputs from the dish, are they strong, or weak ?

Darren J

Hi there,

I had Sky HD installed today and I've have exactly what you've described. The thing is, I don't have a complicated set up - I have a 3 month old Sony Bravia KDL40v2000 and the Sky HD is connected via the HDMI cable.

Whilst watching telly, the picture tears up completely and then disappears - I try to use the Sky remote, but it doesn't respond (I can't put the box into Stand-by) - but after around 2 or 3 minutes, after switching the TV from output to output via the TV remote, Sky HD is back! No need for a cold reset. This happens very randomly (not every 5 minutes as yours) - once or twice an hour - darned frustrating.

Engineer coming on Saturday but I want a new box and cable - I really hope it isn't the TV which has behaved impeccably until now...I hope the HDMI socket ain't knackered.

Did you resolve the problem with a new box/cable?

Sorry - I just read your other messages in the forum - looks like I may have an isolated problem rather than a Sagem related one. Still hoping a replacement Sky box will do the trick...

Chingford,

Mine comes today and I have exactly the same TV. I will be connecting direct via the HDMI cable so i'll let you know how i get on......Fingers crossed!

kevinthekoala said:
Chingford,

Mine comes today and I have exactly the same TV. I will be connecting direct via the HDMI cable so i'll let you know how i get on......Fingers crossed!

Many thanks - I reckon it's something to do with my set up though as these Bravia's have been promoting Sky HD for months (what with the cashback etc).

Anyway...if you get a picture like the attached - worry!

Attachments

• IMAGE_042.jpg
    IMAGE_042.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 72
Mate,

If I get a picture like that my phone line will be red hot !!!!!!!!!!
That looks terrible

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom