New Boots: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S)

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My car recently went for a service and I was advised to replace my fronts as they were down to 2.9mm (I don’t normally take them down passed 2.5mm as I’m a big fan of good tyres – after all they are the only thing between you and a big “off” if things go the shape of a pear.)

As my son in law works at Birmingham’s biggest tyre warehouse so I decided to do some research and go and see him. When I started my research everything pointed me in the direction of a particular tyre, I read and watched everything I could and took advice from the guys where my son in law works. I made my choice and had them fitted last Saturday. Since then I’ve driven around 500 miles on them and I thought I’d share my thoughts with you good people.

· Ford Focus ST (Mk3 2016)
· Tyres: 235/35 R19Y
· To Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S)

The first thing to say is that they only come in sizes 19 inch and above so if you have a car with smaller wheels you can click away now – unless you like reading about tyres. Apparently, they are coming in 17 & 18 inch sizes next year :)

The following is subjective and based on my own experience. Although I should point out that when my other half drove my car on Sunday and she commented on how different the car felt. She drives a Fiesta ST200 so she knows a good handling car when she gets into one and she was very impressed. I was pleased that she commented as it proved to me that I wasn't just imagining what I was feeling.

As I live in the country I have access to some great B roads. The roads I drive for fun I know like the back of hand. I have a few laid out “laps” from my home that range from around 6 miles all the way up to about 44 miles depending on my mood. They provide a good collection of challenging conditions; long straights, complex collections of fast corners, slow, tight corners and sweeping bends. All of which are accompanied by large elevation changes and variable tarmac conditions.

So how are they? In a word – astonishing! They have completely changed the driving experience. I've always loved my car but to have it get even better with a simple (expensive)upgrade is a bonus.

Comfort: 19 inch wheels are never going to be the most comfy experience but the comfort level has improved and the ride is a little more compliant. I haven’t noticed that much difference in noise levels either. The car has never been the quietest in the world anyway so I’m not concerned about that, but its no worse than it was on the PS3's.

Overall acceleration: launch & in gear acceleration has improved notably, they grab at the road in a very effective way and you can feel her biting into the tarmac. There is one particular corner on one of my laps that would always make the back end step out if the driver aids were turned off, on the PS4S's there is no hint of he stepping out. I actually giggled when I realised. She also feels much more stable and "planted" at speed.

Cornering: GRIP, GRIP, GRIP!!! This is night and day compared to the PS3’s she came fitted with. Grip was always good but the PS4S is on another level entirely. The FoST is not prone to body roll as she has an excellent chassis but now she seems to corner even flatter through a fast bends, it's like she on rails. She gives you loads of grip, then gives you some more grip and then suddenly finds some more at the back of cupboard to give you. She has always reacted well to the slightest steering input but with the PS4S's this has gone up a notch. Jinking round a rogue Peasant early on Sunday morning was over before I knew it and with no drama at all.

Braking: It’s all well and good being able to corner faster with more grip but if you can’t stop then that is a bit of issue. I’m happy to report that braking has also improved. She could get a bit out of shape under heavy braking but this seems to have largely disappeared now.

Tyre Life: I can’t comment right now but they are guaranteed up to 30k by Michelin.

Wet Performance: I’ve not had chance to drive in the wet yet but reviews suggest that performance is class leading.

Conclusion: If you drive a performance car and are in the market for a new set of boots I can heartily recommend the PS4S, you should at least have them on your shortlist. They are expensive but the smiles per mile that they have given me is worth every penny. Add to that the confidence you get from knowing you have the ultimate performance tyre under you gives you a warm glow (and I'm not talking about wetting yourself in a hairy moment. :))

As they are designed for Super Cars they are probably overkill on a FoST, but I got them at a great price so hey what's the harm and so far I've loved every minute :)

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

As the MPSS are now discontinued when my M140i needs new tyres these will be top of the list assuming they've released them in 18" by then.

How much are they each corner, roughly?

How much are they each corner, roughly?

List is £219, that's size dependant of course. Have dig around Blackcircles Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S Tyres at Blackcircles.com

I got them cheaper through a family discount.

I honestly can't find a bad review of them, I took everything I read with pinch of salt and I expected to feel some difference over the PS3, which is a great tyre, but what I actually got has blown my mind.

And you can also click away when you have larger than 20" ....Literally only just in 19 and 20 inches....They sound like a great tyre though...

And you can also click away when you have larger than 20" ....Literally only just in 19 and 20 inches....They sound like a great tyre though...

Didnt realise that, I'd have thought they'd have gone to 21. I'm going to put my neck out and say that will change.

No overkill on an ST at all I would say, good grip and handling is useful on all cars.

30k miles? They sound super sticky / soft. I rarely get more than 15k from a set or rears. However, i think these might be too "large" for me. What is the shoulder size like?

I have the regular PS4s on my S2000 (17") and they are excellent. The sidewalls feel nice and stiff (a good feature of the OEM Bridgestones) and grip is fantastic.

The PS4S have a 300 wear rating, which is pretty high (the Bridgestones were around 180).

Funny seeing this thread as I am getting all my tyres changed tomorrow on my 350Z at Kaizer Motor to Pilot Sport 4S (245/35/R19 front and 275/35/R19 rear). Total cost was £826 from Oponeo but I think it's worth it on the right type of car. I actually originally ordered Continental Sport Contact 6 but soon read all the bad reports of wear so changed to the Michelins.

Funny seeing this thread as I am getting all my tyres changed tomorrow on my 350Z at Kaizer Motor to Pilot Sport 4S (245/35/R19 front and 275/35/R19 rear). Total cost was £826 from Oponeo but I think it's worth it on the right type of car. I actually originally ordered Continental Sport Contact 6 but soon read all the bad reports of wear so changed to the Michelins.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them. :)

If what this guy is saying is accurate then wear seems to be pretty good.

What does the 30k Mile guarantee cover if you don't mind me asking? It can't be that they will last 30k miles surely?

What does the 30k Mile guarantee cover if you don't mind me asking? It can't be that they will last 30k miles surely?

Sorry couldn't say, I expect it's about manufacturing defects. I certainly don't expect them to last for 30k, if I get 20k, with rotation every 5k, I'll be very happy.

I think the American warranty but may be the same

Warranty

I haven't read the linked warranty document in the page but I suspect claiming is fraught with complications as to how the car was driven, full alignment checks every x,000 miles etc.

Edit - actually based on mandatory tire rotation and if the sizes mean you can't rotate the mileage warranty on the rears is half. Uneven wear means no warranty as it is a sign of misalignment.

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them. :)

If what this guy is saying is accurate then wear seems to be pretty good.

I've been really impressed with them so far, below are some pics if anyone is interested to see how they look. I got a full wheel alignment done as well as changing some drop links for the suspension so the ride has completely changed for the better with the new tyres. NVH is so much better and the feel the tyres give on the road is amazing even at low to moderate speeds.

I find the ride much more comfortable than the previous tyres they replaced which were Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 runflats on the rear and Falken FK452s on the front. I'm still running the Michelins in and so far have clocked just under a hundred miles, a hundred more and I will do more aggressive driving but even now I can notice the extra grip and traction through corners. Car never felt so planted!

http://i.imgur.com/Np5oSDj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Rvk6Zh0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QKAn81B.jpg

Last edited:
In the last pic, what are those devices attached to the wheels?

In the last pic, what are those devices attached to the wheels?

Those things are for the laser wheel alignment.. With the amount of pot holes in and around London it's a good idea to get an alignment every so often. Even better when you're getting new tyres all round.

Ah. thanks, not come across them before :blush:

"Ooh, I love a gadget, me"

Thanks!!

I was hoping to make the tyres last on my BBR200 MX5 until the PS4s came out in 17" but they're on 2.5mm now so I went for some Yokohama Advan AD08R from a guy on eBay , £380 delivered for 4 ,

They get good user reviews so hopefully I've made the right choice , I'll find out on Tuesday .

I did fit PS4s on the Maserati 4200 and they made a huge difference, it handled like a different car after them being fitted

Just checked the latest pricing on the PS4, £196 each for 255/30/19 :eek:uch:

The Super Sports are £20 cheaper at £176, and they're super sticky.

If you've got access the costco michelin deal is still on , I know it's a £50 costco voucher for 4 17" think it's £75 for 4 x 19" plus you get nitrogen inflation

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom