New bookshelf speakers BX2 or Dali Lektor 2

andeekaii

Novice Member
I recently purchased my first hi-fi, as follows:

Marantz PM7003
Wharfedale 9.1 Bookshelf speakers
Wharfedale SW150 Subwoofer

Having owned them for 6 weeks I am happy that hi-fi is where 'its at' so I am looking to upgrade my speakers/sub to do the amp justice.

My budget for speakers is £150-250 but I am happy to purchase used. The speakers will be wall mounted as close to the wall as possible, so please take this into consideration when recommending alternative speakers. I want to be able to hear a significant upgrade from my £100 wharfedales. I've heard that the Dali Lektors are a good match for Marantz amps, but I've also heard that the Lektor 2 is lacking in treble compared to the Lektor 1. So far I am looking at the following speakers:

Monitor Audio BX2 - £225
Dali Lektor 1 - £199
Dali Lektor 2 - £245

And the following sub which I think I am definitely going to get:

BK XLS200 Front Firing

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts and suggestions, especially comparisons between the BX2 and Lektor 2.

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:

Ben Jammin

I think you underestimate your 9.1's. When they were first released they were £180 and that was a long time ago so in today's money they were probably around the £230 mark. Both the BX2 and Lektor 2 are slightly bigger so you will get a bigger sound but don't expect a massive massive leap in quality. In fact, i'd rather have the 9.1's than the BX2 to be honest. (not heard the Lektor's.)

Wall mounting makes things very difficult and i'm not sure those bigger speakers would suit. If you can get the the Rega RS1's second hand they are amazing quality wise and will work fine against a wall, but they have no bass. like zero bass. its weird listening to them. However... if you have/want a sub, i guess that doesn't matter so much?

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The bx range is really around the same level as your current speakers. So although they will sound different to your wharfed ales they will not be much, if any, of a sound quality improvement. What do you feel is missing from your current system? Personally I would save some more until you can get some better speakers. If looking second hand them look for some PMC DB+ as these often sell for good prices on eBay and sound amazing. Otherwise also look at monitor audio rs range or focal 700/800 ranges.

andeekaii

Novice Member
Well I have read a lot of reviews and forum comments stating that the Dali Lektor range is in another class to speakers in the same price range (and more specifically a few mentions that they're much better than the 9.1 and 10.1's).

To be quite honest I am happy with the 9.1's but there are a couple of things that bug me.
- I do not really like the curved shape and they're awkward to mount.
- The official wharfedale brackets are absolutely useless.
- I feel they are lacking a little bit in the treble range (with the amp on source direct)
- They're 6-8 cm deeper than the Lektor 2's. A speaker less deep would be preferable for the placement of them.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have seen the DBs for that kind of price on eBay and they would blow the Dali away in terms of sound quality. They are also very easy to place and could be mounted close to the wall with no real issues.

Ben Jammin

Well I have read a lot of reviews and forum comments stating that the Dali Lektor range is in another class to speakers in the same price range.
That is said of every speaker to ever exist. It's never true. It may be true for one particular aspect of the sound the speaker makes but it will then lack in a different aspect. The Lektor's will be better than the Diamond in some ways, the Diamonds better than the Lektor in others. Monitor Audio will give you clearer treble but after 6 months you may miss the warm natural mid-range of the Diamonds.

To get a speaker which does everything perfectly you need to spend more. (In my opinion.) Having said that, the Lektor 2, to your ear, may improve on the diamonds in all the areas you want and only lose in areas you dont care about. It's really a personal thing and you should forget what others say is best and go do some listening. Failing that, PMC second hand is probably not a bad shout, or ProAc.

How are you connecting the Sub? I believe the 9.1's have a direct sub connection of some kind? Not all speakers have this..

Last edited:

a8ch

Novice Member
The speakers will be wall mounted as close to the wall as possible, so please take this into consideration when recommending alternative speakers. I want to be able to hear a significant upgrade from my £100 wharfedales. I've heard that the Dali Lektors are a good match for Marantz amps, but I've also heard that the Lektor 2 is lacking in treble compared to the Lektor 1. So far I am looking at the following speakers:

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts and suggestions, especially comparisons between the BX2 and Lektor 2.

Cheers, Andy
My money would be on the lector 2's. They have a superb midrange for the money, and although a little bass shy in free space, it is taut and natural.They should work well close to a wall because of their roll off response, without too many worries, but get a listen first just to be sure, in your own listening room if possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom