New Body or Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rflx95, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

So im looking at adding to my photography kit, i have mixed feelings whether to get a new body or a new lens. My current setup is a Canon 450D with three lenses (18-55 kit, 55-250mm IS, 50mm STM) which isnt terrible but i would like to upgrade to get better quality.
    Im looking at getting a 60D second hand at around the £250 mark but im wondering if i would benefit more from spending the same money on a used lens.

Many Thanks

2. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    What lens?

3. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    The 450d is pretty old now but it also depends on what its not doing for you?

4. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    not sure on lens yet to be honest was kind of hoping some one on here would have some suggestions

5. twist

twist
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,992
    What do you take photos of most? No use us giving random suggestions.

6. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bit of everything really, i study product design so need to do lots of product shots (hence the 50mm) but I also like taking landscape/nature shots. I might also be doing a friends wedding in a couple of months.

7. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    To answer the question you/we need to know what type of photography you do and where, if any, your current camera or lenses are under performing. Alternatively if your current kit does what you need for the photography you do today, what do you want to do in future photography wise.

Just because a camera is old doesn't mean that it can't take good photos. However if you were to say that you want to print at poster sizes then that may suggest you need a higher res sensor or if you shoot a lot of action then it may suggest you need a camera with a larger buffer. When it comes to lenses is it lack of sharpness, slow focusing speed, max aperture, aberrations/image quality or focal length that you are concerned about?

8. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well i have noticed a lot of problems with sharpness with the 18-55 lens which is just awful compared to the other two lenses, the body itself hasn't really bothered me that much except it being bad in high ISO conditions. I dont think I will be needing anything larger than an a4 print anytime soon since most of the "important" pictures for my course are on composite pages anyway

9. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Landscape/nature and wedding photography are pretty much two different disciplines requiring different kit. If you really want to do landscape than your 18-55, whilst reasonably wide, isn't that wide and isn't optically a great lens. Changing that for say a Sigma 10-20 (probably the only lens that falls within your budget) will get better results but it would be useless for wildlife and weddings.

For nature/wildlife you are typically talking big telephotos and your budget isn't really going to get anything that's going to give you that much more zoom or image quality.

For weddings you need fast glass and thats gonna prove expensive. If you only had one lens at a wedding then you probably want something like a 24-70 f/2.8 and probably only the Sigma is going to fall into your budget at second hand prices. Really though you don't want 1 lens or even 1 camera for a wedding!

With respect, I wouldn't contemplate shooting a wedding with your lenses (other than the 50mm) as you are just going to struggle so much in low light and image quality may not be what the couple have in mind.

The 60D is a good camera and a step up from the 450D so if higher resolution and bigger buffer is what you need then go for that. You will see an improvement in image quality but only because of the sensor as it will still be using your current lenses. If you are happy with how your landscape photos look now in terms of field of view, sharpness, distortion etc then upgrade to the 60D. If you aren't then keep the body and look for a new wide angle lens. If you are hell bent on shooting the wedding then ask yourself if that is more important than your other photography and if it is then put your money towards some fast glass.

10. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well im not really looking at getting into wedding photography its more like a one time favour for a friend, i have tried to stress how important it is to spend money on a professional wedding photographer so they may still get a professional. What i will most likely do from what you guys have said is upgrade my lens first, either the 24-70 or the 10-20(will see if I can test some in a shop) and then see if i have the money in a couple of months to get the 60 as well.

11. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your help guys- Much appreciated

12. weaviemx5

weaviemx5
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,052
    On a crop body a 24-70 isn't going to give you much in the way of width. You'd be better off with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 which gives the same constant 2.8 aperture for low light use as well as a wide enough angle for landscapes.

13. Muddy Funker

Muddy Funker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    We sound in a very similar boat.

I've got an old 400D and a couple of rubbish lenses that came with it.

I bought the 50mm 1.8 as most seem to, waiting on a 55-250 stm as I wanted IS on the lens.

Now I've also been looking at the 60D which will probably be my next body, or possibly the 70 when the price drops. I'm always years behind the times!

What I've done is go for a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 second hand at a cost of around a hundred quid. The difference in build quality and image over the kit lens is ridiculous.

I also like landscape stuff, I appreciate you can go wider but for the price second hand I'm very happy. Tamron do an equivalent which is also regarded well. I think some people complain that these lenses can be hit or miss whether you get a sharp one or not but it's a lens worth considering to get the best from your camera.

14. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,498
  15. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,297
    I bought a Tokina 12-28 f4 for my 550D to shoot landscapes and love it.

Tokina 12-28mm Review

I paid £311 from Jessops and got £5 back from Quidco so £306 for it but looks like the price has gone up a bit though.

Couple of Pics at 12mm, f10, no filter, no correction to distortion !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    My Tamron is significantly sharper than my kit lens. Plus it gives you the constant f2.8

17. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,498
    Always good to hear user feedback rather than test charts. I assume it's the Canon 18-55 you're referring to?

18. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    The 18-55 that came with my 350D was really not great. I got another recently with a second hand 700D and its surprisingly good.

19. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    Ah no its Sony. But I imagine it's similar with the Canon

20. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,498
    I believe the Canon is better than the sony and closer to the Tamron in terms of sharpness.

21. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    The Dxo mark is also comparing the IS version. The OP may have a non IS version if it's the kit lens
    Maybe get a cheap IS version from eBay?

22. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I do a fair bit of product photography and would recommend investing in one or more flashes. Just bounce off the ceiling if appropriate or invest in some budget umbrellas or softboxes. Good lighting will make far more difference for product shots than any £200 lens upgrade. Especially as the flashes will allow you to stop down, shoot at base ISO, etc.

23. rancidpunk

rancidpunk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Oddly, it's widely written that the non VC Tamron is sharper than the VC version, something the Tamron guy at the photography show also said to me. The DxO tests would seem to suggest otherwise though.

24. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,498
    Yep good suggestion and I agree light will make a bigger difference, especially as you tend to stop the lens down for product shots so kit lenses should be 'sharp enough'. Only trouble is it won't help with landscapes :facepalm:

25. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    But he shouldn't have too much issue with light outdoors :D
    A flash would help indoors however

26. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,498
    Yes but he wasn't happy with the sharpness with landscape and no amount of studio lighting is going to help with that ;)

27. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Once upon a life I had the 350D and the old non-IS kit 18-55mm lens. Then I bought the Tamron 17-50mm non VC lens. Printing at 4x6 and 5x7 I couldn't tell any difference, nor when scaled down to screen res. At A4 size there was a difference.

What was worse is that the Tamron regularly missed focus, and when it did hit it was often front focussed.

Of course, the f/2.8 was better for bokeh and for poorer light conditions.

I'm wondering if the latest kit lens with IS might be better for the OP. That is if he's doing product shots indoors with available light, and landscapes stopped down, as the IS will get sharp images at slower shutter speeds and better ISO. I hear the latest kit lens is much sharper than the old non-IS version (450D era).

That should leave enough budget to get a flash as well.

If I'm reading the situation correctly.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  28. xxGBHxx

xxGBHxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    I am no pro photographer and I'm sure there are people on this thread with more experience than me. I have however read a fair bit.

The golden rule, generally, is always to invest in good quality lenses first before anything else. There are various reasons for that and the main one being is that in general lenses will outlast MANY bodies so investing in good ones means you benefit from them for years whereas a body you may decide to change every couple of years. The other thing is these days even a "cheap" Canon D1200 is capable of superior results than the skills of most amateur phorographers are capable of. So upgrading the body will not likely gain you anywhere near as much as you would going for a decent lens that is more tailored to the pictures you want to take. (I'm not insinuating you're not pushing the 450 you have to the limits, I'm talking generally)

As for which lens to buy as many have said it depends on what you want to take. Canon, Sigma and Tamron all make great lenses for the Canon bodies (as do many others I'm sure) and theres a 1,000,001 sites out there with reviews, tests and advice on what to get. Like most other people I have a 50 and the 55-250 IS alopng with the kit lens on my Canon. I have to say after taking the 55-250 to a wildlife park the other day, the photos I took showed they are WAY in excess of my skills even on a 1200D.

G

29. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,498
    Whilst a lot of this is true it's a common myth that lenses make all the difference, it's the lens/camera combo that matters. That being said lenses do 'tend' to make more difference, and you're right in that glass is a more long term investment.

30. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,076
    <controversy circuit engaged>...the only glass that really matters is the biological stuff sitting connected the your brain.... sometimes a few quid spent on a good Photography book about composition/light etc. can be worth more that £1000's on kit in improving your images...