New blu-ray setup - no new audio formats

craigharrison

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having decided to upgrade my 15 yo amp setup in order to enjoy the new audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and Master Audio, I have spent over £2000 on new Monitor Audio speakers (R45s, Radius One and RSW12, with which I am delighted), a new receiver and bluray player. The authorised dealer suggested a Panasonic BD60 and an Onkyo 607, fed by suitable HDMI and optical cables. I even paid for the dealer to fit the system however I have a problem.

Despite buying 3 new blu-ray discs, each having the new audio formats of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (The Dark Knight (DT), Quantum of Solace (MA) and Slumdog MA)), neither of these audio formats can be played by the BD60/607 combination. I am being advised that the formats need some sort of analogue connection from the player to the receiver which is not possible. However, a test bluray disc brought by the dealer was detected by the syatem as outputting TruHD and played as such on the Onkyo. I cannot believe that MGM, Warner Borthers and 20th Century Fox do not produce discs with advanced audio formats that cannot be read by a newly released blu-ray player and a bang up-to-date receiver.

Has anyone any idea what is going wrong? I went to a reputable authorised dealer as everyone advises, to prevent this sort of problem but am still left listening to Dolby Digital, a format I had with my previous setup.

Having decided to upgrade my 15 yo amp setup in order to enjoy the new audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and Master Audio, I have spent over £2000 on new Monitor Audio speakers (R45s, Radius One and RSW12, with which I am delighted), a new receiver and bluray player. The authorised dealer suggested a Panasonic BD60 and an Onkyo 607, fed by suitable HDMI and optical cables. I even paid for the dealer to fit the system however I have a problem.

Despite buying 3 new blu-ray discs, each having the new audio formats of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (The Dark Knight (DT), Quantum of Solace (MA) and Slumdog MA)), neither of these audio formats can be played by the BD60/607 combination. I am being advised that the formats need some sort of analogue connection from the player to the receiver which is not possible. However, a test bluray disc brought by the dealer was detected by the syatem as outputting TruHD and played as such on the Onkyo. I cannot believe that MGM, Warner Borthers and 20th Century Fox do not produce discs with advanced audio formats that cannot be read by a newly released blu-ray player and a bang up-to-date receiver.

Has anyone any idea what is going wrong? I went to a reputable authorised dealer as everyone advises, to prevent this sort of problem but am still left listening to Dolby Digital, a format I had with my previous setup.

Hi. :)
You should get TrueHD/DTS-MA from your setup no problem,player set to bitstream HDMI cable from 60 to 607 and out again HDMI to the TV.
So,once you select the TrueHD track off the Dark Knight disc it's DD only showing on the amp is that right?
Secondary audio to OFF on the Panasonic as well.

How are you connecting the Blu Ray player/TV

You should have:

BR Player to Amp = HDMI
Amp to TV = HDMI

The Amp should auto-detect the speaker setup etc and should feed the speakers 5.1/7.1 (depending on disc).

Make sure the BR player is outputting bitstream High Def Audio via HDMI in the menu and is not down-converting any audio to DTS/DD, as kingfats says

Ensure that you select HD Audio using the BR Players 'Audio' button. Most discs default High Def to the first place selection, but some do not for some reason.

This is not right. You definitely should be getting Dolby True HD & DTS MA via HDMI without the need for any analogue connections.

First thing to do is go into the setup menu in the BD60 and make sure it is outputing bitstream audio and not PCM. IIRC, that will be under the HDMI settings. If not look in the sound part of the setup menu.

Quite often the disc will not automatically play the high def audio. Sometimes you have to go to the languages part, or setup on the discs top menu before you play the film in order to choose the hi def audio option. You can also access this whilst the film is playing by pressing the "audio" button on the remote. This will let you scroll through the audio options. Usually you will get Dolby Digital 5.1, then Dolby True HD (or DTS MA), then it will also give you audio choices of different languages, so just choose the one you want.

Hopefully the above should sort it. I haven't played around with an Onkyo 607, but usually if you are getting sound via HDMI on the amp you won't need to fiddle with anything there to get the hi def sound.

HTH,

T

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick response.

The setup is BD60 via HDMI (1.3) to 607 with an optical connection to permit processing of Sky+HD 5.1 signal. The 607 then connects to the TV (Sony 55A2000 rear proj) and to the sub via 1.3 HDMI.

TrueHD is selected on the BD60 but it shows as DolbyD on the 607 as you say kingfats. The Audio button on the remote says the soundtrack is 2ENG True HD Multi.
Secondary Audio from the BD60 is switched to Off
I have selected English Dolby True HD form the BD60 Setup>Language Settings.

607 still only shows Dolby Digital on the LCD dislpay

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick response.

The setup is BD60 via HDMI (1.3) to 607 with an optical connection to permit processing of Sky+HD 5.1 signal. The 607 then connects to the TV (Sony 55A2000 rear proj) and to the sub via 1.3 HDMI.

TrueHD is selected on the BD60 but it shows as DolbyD on the 607 as you say kingfats. The Audio button on the remote says the soundtrack is 2ENG True HD Multi.
Secondary Audio from the BD60 is switched to Off
I have selected English Dolby True HD form the BD60 Setup>Language Settings.

607 still only shows Dolby Digital on the LCD dislpay

On the amp is HDMI audio out set to OFF?

I even paid for the dealer to fit the system however I have a problem.

change your dealer, this sounds like a real muppet if they can't set something as simple as this up for you.

You should certainly expect the dealer to return to fix the problem, you have very good kit there for fantastic sound and image, he's obviously not set it up correctly.

If you fix it yourself using KF and folks' help, then ask him for the 'installation' cost back on the grounds of profound muppetry.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom