New Blu-ray playr upto £1000

Fireblade77

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys can you please help me choose the best Blu-ray player i can buy costing less than £1000.
Right now i have a Pioneer SC-LX81 Amp and Pioneer BDP LX71 Blu-ray player with Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Speaker package and a Panasonic TXP42VT20B Plasma.
I love the sound and picture of what i have but i want to change my Blu-ray so i was looking at the new Denon 2012 which you can buy for about £530 but i hear people say the Oppo players are good so would i be better off with either the Denon or Oppo BDP-93 or 95 and what is the difference between the 93 and 95 ?
will they be better than my Pioneer ?
i do need to be able to play movies from a usb stick and i like the idea of being able to connect a pc hard drive to it and play music or movies from this.
Or is there anything else out there that would be better ?

Last edited:
The oppo 95 is meant to be great, it is the same as the 93 afaik, but the analog audio out section is much improved, for better audio quality spinning disks. If you won't be doing that, there might not be much point getting the 95, especially if you don't use analog audio, and use HDMI instead direct to the amp.

The oppo 95 is meant to be great, it is the same as the 93 afaik, but the analog audio out section is much improved, for better audio quality spinning disks. If you won't be doing that, there might not be much point getting the 95, especially if you don't use analog audio, and use HDMI instead direct to the amp.

on my setup right now i have hdmi from blu-ray to amp and i also have ifi can remember right :blush: analog connection from blu ray to amp for when i play a cd and switch to direct or pure direct. (i cant remember now).
hdmi would be the best way to connect for watching movies yes not analog but analog for playing music am i right ?
i will want to connect a eSATA hard disc and have all my music on that with this blu ray so would i be wasting my money going for the 95 over the 93 ? and would the 93 connect like my pioneer now sound better than my pioneer ?
also as i dont have an amp that supports the hdmi 1.4 for 3d doesnt the oppo 95 let you connect via the old 1.3 so you can watch 3d blu ray and still get the amp to produce the 5.1 ?

Last edited:
After reading some reviews about the oppo 93 it does sound very good and a better price. i can see the reviews saying about the analog being improved on the 95 but if i was to try both these blue-ray players (which i cant without buying) and connected them upto my pioneer amp via HDMI would i hear any difference when watching blu-ray or dvd movies or playing cd's or music through the eSATA from a sata hard drive ? and would i see any difference in picture quality between the 2 ?

Last edited:
If i was to choose the Oppo BDP93EU where would the best place be to buy it from ?
i am in the UK.
or are there places you can say not to buy one from ?

If i was to choose the Oppo BDP93EU where would the best place be to buy it from ?
i am in the UK.
or are there places you can say not to buy one from ?

Buy it from an authorised dealer, preferably from one close to you in case you need help or want to go listen/see it in action. Here are the official retailers:

Where to Buy | OPPO BD UK

The price is the same wherever you go.

hifi cinema is not too far away from me so i think i will buy it from there if im going to have this player and so far im not seeing anything that says its bad in any way. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom