1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New blanks not backward compatible.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JH4, Aug 20, 2005.

1. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    It seems that earlier DVD recorders won't now be able to use the new higher speed rated blanks, (eg X4 and X6), and they can't be modified either, as I seem to be finding out. Any one have more on this ? , or are these earlier machines going to be stuck for blank media when everyone starts selling only the new high-speed rated blanks. Bad news if this is true.. Built in obsolescence springs to mind.. The packs have wording that states that firmware upgrades of earlier DVD recorders may be needed, but it does'nt seem that these upgrades are easily available - if at all.
    Any comments - people in the know ?

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Blank dvd-r and dvd+r (dead in approx 1 year) also degrade faster than burned dvdr (dead in approx 3 years, if you're lucky), so no point in stocking up on them either. Use dvdrw instead.
    But as most dvd writers won't last much longer than 3 years, it's unlikely to be a problem.

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yeh, and people are archiving their old VHS tapes to DVD in the fond belief they will last longer than tapes - which still play fine after decades. Funny old world !
    Bring back D-VHS I say - the best format of the lot...

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    That cannot be be decent media if it only lasts a few years. I know poor discs such as Princo and Bilkpaq can only last two years. I have decent DVD's coming up to two and a half years and they still play perfect.

A decent make of discs (with decet dye) wil last a lot longer than 3 years if they are treated right.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    And you're betting all your data on that, good luck!

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    So how many DVDs have you lost with this problem ?

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Why not?

Anyway, if data is that important then DVD RAM is much more robust. I would be perfectly happy if my data lasts just another five years or so.

If the discs are quality there is no reason why the data shouldn't last 10 or 20 years easily.

8. johnsteed

johnsteed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main reason I was looking to purchade a DVD Recorder with HD was to transfer my VHS tapes to discs and get rid of the tapes.

If the lifetime of discs is approximately 3 years then I would be foolish to junk the tapes. Some of my tapes are over 20 years old and still play good.

Surely dvdr have a longer life span than that?

Which media brand names should I be looking for to offer the longest life span?

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Go for good brands (Verbatim in my case) and keep them away from sunlight, I use black plastic cases to keep mine in and I've had no problems so far. I notice we haven't had an answer from PJClarke to the question of how many DVDs he's had problems with !

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    It's not necessarily the make but the dye used.

The best DVD-R/DVD+R is Taiyo Yuden (but it costs about 3 times as much of other discs).

For dye quality have a look at this link.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I use Ritek Ridisc G04 -R's and have had 100% success with them. My most important data are on these discs.

I have also ordered some TDK G02 dye discs for TV Recordings.

It is also important to match DVD writer with DVD disc. What burns excellent on one writer may not on another make of writer.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Sorry, yes I should have said that the Verbatim ones I use have the TY02 dye and work very well in both my Panasonic DVD recorders.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    sorry, been on the beach all day

I have lost 60+ dvds in the last year (unreadable data lost mostly ritek g04 dye), approx 6 months to 18 months after burn, and have rewritten about 100 more that were starting to look a bit iffy (jagged speed scans mostly ritek g05 dye approx 3 months after burn).

Verbatim have been pretty good, about 10% of the 4x (MCC) failing to scan after the burns usually due to visable defects in the dye, but now Verbatim have switched production to a Moser Baer plant in India, I am told the quality is very variable. Those Verbatim from the CMC factories seem to be very good.

13. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea what the Phillips discs are dye-wise and the quality?
    TIA

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    So I think we can say that if you pick the right DVDs you don't have much to worry about if you store them correctly. I have taken the advice of Rasczak and have created 2 copies of any tapes that are really important and also some of them I've created one copy on DVD-R and another on DVD-RAM, just to be on the safe side.

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    There was a period where G04 and G05 were rubbish. It is not the fault of DVD-R technology but poorly manufactured discs in the first place. There were fake G04 and G05 discs going around. It made Ritek introduce Ridisc Extreme G05 discs and they are superb. They are the best 8x discs that are cheaper than TY discs.

CMC discs are very very poor (4th class media by going by the link I supplied). I have had poor results with CMC dye +RW's. I wouldn't use Verbatims with CMC dye.

However, some writers are fine with them.

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Philips discs are excellent. They use their own dye. I have +RW's that have been erased and formatted continously for over two years and they are still working.

17. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember the situation regarding +RW is different..........2.4x and 4x discs are backwards compatible The new 8x +RW discs are not.

For -RW discs the backwards incompatibility starts at 4x.

18. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've not noticed any of my 200 DVD-R's fail in the last 3 years, yet most of them are cheap discs, i.e. Datawrite Yellow (Ritek G04), Grey (Fuji) and Princo.

However I don't deny I may just be lucky or just not found the duff ones yet, and if this is as bad as some people suggest, then its a HUGE problem.

On these forums, we have an interest in the technology and find things out in advance, but Jo Bloggs doesn't stand a chance.
    Given that most people don't frequent technology forums, and most people are starting to phase out their VHS machine, most people will lose a lot of cherished material.
    Surely there'll soon be a Jo Public rebel force for the manufacturers to reckon with.

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My burner/software won't go faster than 2x - does this help?

20. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Storage is most imporant. DVD-Rs haven't been arround long enough but I have CD-Rs from 8-10yrs ago, good quality TDKs. The ones which were stored well in opaque cases are still readable. The ones which were stored in translucent cases have almost all failed.

G04 based DVD-Rs were excellent (I used the Datawrites aswell), but went through a very unreliable phase. So I switched to Datawrite FujiFilm 003, which were good (but I haven't been able to find again), then Datawrite MCC R02 (very good, not one bad burn out of 100), and now I've started using TY, they may be more expensive (still only 38p a disc for the 8x -R) but are consistanly available so you don't need to gamble with a media you don't trust.

Find a media you trust and stick with it. And remember how cheap the media is. If you really cherrish that VHS (which remember is damaged every time you play it) don't make one copy, make five. And check them every year. If one has failed make a duplicate of one which hasn't.

21. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the original question - Older DVD recorders, PC or standalones?

I have a JVC DRM-H30, the manual says use x4 discs only, but it quite happily burns on RITEK G05's x8 discs.