New blank DVD-RAM discs not readable by Panasonic DMR-E55

richardrj

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD recorder - my problem is that I can't get it to read new blank DVD-RAM discs. I have some old ones which I can still use successfully but whenever I try and put a new one in the recorder it says I need to format the disc using Disc Management. When I go to Disc Management and attempt to format this disc it says "unable to format this disc - this disc is not recordable", which is obviously not true.

I don't know if this is relevant but it has only started doing this since I moved to Austria (I bought the recorder in the UK). Is it possible that the fact I am using it in a new country is causing the problem? Or is it just a faulty recorder? I have tried both Panasonic and TDK discs with the same problem (some bought in the UK and some in Austria).

Hope someone can help, many thanks

There are different versions of DVD-RAM discs e.g. V2.0(2x) / V2.1(3x) / V2.2(5x).
What are the versions of the discs you are trying to use?

They are all 3x. I bought a batch of Panasonic 3x discs with the recorder, some of them are working fine but I am now unable to use other discs from the same batch.

This has cropped up before. See this thread:

- Panasonic E55 Disk Problems!

Take a look at these threads too:

- Panasonic DMRE55

- laser cleaner

So, I suggest you try a lens cleaner DVD. This is a cheap and easy thing to do yourself, and may well cure the problem. But if it doesn't, I wouldn't spend any money on having the recorder serviced or repaired, I'd put the money towards a new recorder instead.

Thanks very much for the help, sorry I obviously didn't search the forums hard enough before I posted! Will give lens cleaner a try and if no joy will look at purchasing a new model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom