New Blackberry With Existing SIM?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by happyhomer, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. happyhomer

happyhomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Happy New Year everybody.
    I've currently got a Curve 9300 on contract with Virgin Mobile, but I would like to replace this with a Bold 9900. Unfortunately Virgin don't offer this phone, so I wondered if it would be possible for me to buy an unlocked 9900 and transfer my current SIM? Would it be possible to use this model on the virgin Mobile network, and what would I need to ask Virgin to do to enable Blackberry services on the new phone. I would then plan on getting a new Blackberry enabled PAYG SIM for the 9300 so that my daughter could use it, so hopefully that will also be possible.
    As the 9900 isn't supported on Virgin, does anybody know if I'll be able to get hold of firmware updates, as this feature is normally dependent on carrier-specific availability.
    Any help would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can buy any sim unlocked BlackBerry and stick your Virgin SIM in there. No need to ask Virgin anything (see 2 below).

2. BlackBerry services are enabled on a SIM not a phone so as long as you have the BlackBerry services added to your SIM (whichever it is), you can use any unlocked BlackBerry phone.

3. Yes, you can buy any PAYG BlackBerry enabled SIM (I use O2) and then put this in your Curve for your daughter. You will need to get your Curve unlocked though if it is locked to Virgin and you buy a non-Virgin SIM.

4. Not sure what you mean by "this feature is normally dependent on carrier-specific availability". If you want firmware updates, head over to CrackBerry.com where they have all the latest official firmwares for all BlackBerry moby's.

:smashin:

3. happyhomer

happyhomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Many thanks for your detailed reply, Dodgy. I thought that the Blackberry services were enabled on the phone, so good to know that it's the SIM that's enabled. I didn't know if I'd need to get service books resent to the new phone, or whether they would be transferred as part of the replacement phone process in Blackberry Desktop. Thanks again :smashin:

4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    That's a good point, you might need to get the service books resent. I've never had to when switching BB phones but good catch anyway.

:smashin:

5. Flashback55

Flashback55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The service books should come automatically when you switch to your new device. The BIS server will notice you have a new PIN and ask if you wish to switch service to the new device. Unfortunately you will need to re-authenticate the e-mail accounts and BBM contact list but everything else should come automatically when you say yes.