New BK monolith setup help.

Marksony

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as the title suggests I need some help setting up my new mono. And I have read the how to guides inside out.

Some times I am impressed with the mono, other times not.

Will try to keep it brief, I have a Sony STR-DA1200ES (will change when funds allow). I have set all the speaker sizes to small and the crossover on the receiver to 120hz. Using the built in test tone I measured all my speakers from my listening position with a radioshack SPL meter at reference volume 0dB all read 75dBC with no gain, I set the sub to run hot at 85dBC using the gain on the subwoofer (11 o'clock position).

The sub has 0 degrees of phase, and the filter is set to LFE on films this is fine, with music horrible I have to change the filter to 120hz, not sure why?

My listening is 50/50 music and films. My room is almost a perfect square 4.4m x 4.2m and 2.4m ceiling height and a concrete floor.

Position wise I only have four place's, have tried three so far. I used REW room simulator and the flattest response was half way on a side wall. But it didn't sound bassy there.

I've attached the graph, I have no way to measure at the moment for REW. So used test tones from 200hz to 25hz nd measured from my listening position. Column A is the frequency B is where REW said and C is the current position. Column B is blue and C red.

In its new position it goes deep and loud. But music is hit and miss. If I listen to something like Kanye west black skinhead you can definitely tell it is there, but if I listen to something like Richard Marx hazard and I'm not impressed.

Any ideas or suggestions? Oh the graph starts on the left at 200hz moving right to 25hz.

DSC_0671.JPG

Solved my issues, there were two and now I'm more than happy with the monolith for music and films.

Had a call with Tom at BK earlier, explained the problems films sounding boomy and not bass if that makes sense and music having no drive.

Problem one films sounding boomy, apparently with the filter in the LFE position it has a wider frequency range, and my amp must have a slow roll off for frequency settings so changing the dial from LFE to 120hz and firing up the ps4 and playing a blue ray (long time since I've done that) Problem Solved. Now films sound bassy and not boomy.

Now for the music, I'm not sure what was causing the problem. I stream my music through a now TV stick using YouTube etc and had the settings on PCM stereo, that connects to the TV via hdmi and to the AVR via optical. And it was lacking drive or dynamic if that makes sense.

So got all the apps on the ps4 and listened to songs back to back between devices. Problem instantly solved now the music has bass and the ps4 outputs in DD. So either the now TV stick or the TV were compressing the audio range some how or the ps4 is doing something different? If someone could explain that it would be great.

Currently enjoying music on the monolith for the first time since I got it and I'm impressed. Even had to back the gain down for now.

It may be that if you’re listening to the music using 2 Channel option and it comes in via PCM, then the music may not be output to the sub as it is a 2.0 source with no sub channel. The music played through Dolby Digital or DTS utilises the sub channel to play the stereo music balanced with the sub.

If you have a PCM source, you can use another playback option like AFD Auto or Portable. Play with them to see which activates the sub.

You can connect the Monolith up with a high level Neutrik connection too, this will utilise the sub in 2.0 inputs.

Thanks, I'll reword that. In PCM stereo I had the sub activated on the AVR and it was working but it was lacking any drive. So I guess so form of compression was happening. But it all sounds good on the ps4 now and even with the same apps that I used before on the now TV stick. The high level input was going to be my next option to solve the music problem. But using the ps4 now as done that.

My next question is sub isolation platforms, is there any point to add or not to add one with concrete floor's?

Solved my issues, there were two and now I'm more than happy with the monolith for music and films.

Had a call with Tom at BK earlier, explained the problems films sounding boomy and not bass if that makes sense and music having no drive.

Problem one films sounding boomy, apparently with the filter in the LFE position it has a wider frequency range, and my amp must have a slow roll off for frequency settings so changing the dial from LFE to 120hz and firing up the ps4 and playing a blue ray (long time since I've done that) Problem Solved. Now films sound bassy and not boomy.

Now for the music, I'm not sure what was causing the problem. I stream my music through a now TV stick using YouTube etc and had the settings on PCM stereo, that connects to the TV via hdmi and to the AVR via optical. And it was lacking drive or dynamic if that makes sense.

So got all the apps on the ps4 and listened to songs back to back between devices. Problem instantly solved now the music has bass and the ps4 outputs in DD. So either the now TV stick or the TV were compressing the audio range some how or the ps4 is doing something different? If someone could explain that it would be great.

Currently enjoying music on the monolith for the first time since I got it and I'm impressed. Even had to back the gain down for now.
Mine has always sounded boomy and not bassy like you have said, what dial are you changing ? The frequency contour one ? is it all the way around to 120 ? i have mine only 3 notches up

Mine has always sounded boomy and not bassy like you have said, what dial are you changing ? The frequency contour one ? is it all the way around to 120 ? i have mine only 3 notches up
Mine is at 120 and sounds great.
Gain is less than halfway up. I set the sub this way and then ran the auto config on my amp. Then tweeked the surround and centre volumes as the centre and front left and right sounded quiet to me.

Hi, I have the frequency at 120 not lfe, for some reason it sounds better like that, and the gain I have at 11oclock and have it at -2db in the amp setting. I still haven't found the best location for it yet.

Do you both have some test songs with a good bass track, I've just recently rearrangedmy room and moved speaker locations etc and now I feel like I have nulls, but it would be good to compare with other mono users with songs I might not have tried before.

Do you both have some test songs with a good bass track, I've just recently rearrangedmy room and moved speaker locations etc and now I feel like I have nulls, but it would be good to compare with other mono users with songs I might not have tried before.

Ariana Grande break up with your girlfriend ... try that one. used to cause earthquakes in my room lol. i think i did run the mono +6db hot on aVR>

The mono + is a really really good sub. I'd reccomend you a) buy another one and b) buy a minidsp2x4HD or at least a UMIK-1 or a microphone which is compatible with REW And do a few sweeps around ur room.

if u have multiple positions to play with, there is a strong chance a single mono plus will give u an incredible experience if in a small room.

I found in my small room, it was amazing.

when i got mini DSP with the mono + is transformed it. i imagine dual mono+ subs will be end up game for a lot of people re: bass.

Just had a quick listen, thankfully neighbours are out, the low end of the sub is definitely their. And without measuring anything now I'd say between 50hz and the cutoff is lacking now.

I've moved the sub so much recently, I feel like I'm in tune with it.

Good song choice for testing, do you have a few more song's?

Just had a quick listen, thankfully neighbours are out, the low end of the sub is definitely their. And without measuring anything now I'd say between 50hz and the cutoff is lacking now.

play it from 0:25
0:30 there is a satisfying bass drop which normal speakers can't do.

i like this as a simple example to ppl of information normal speakers can't produce but a sub can.

i believe mono+ cut off is between 20 and 25hz.. so it gets really low. if u think u have nulls, dual sub and buy a minidsp. maybe later tho.. enjoy the mono first!

4:19

totally different type of bass but I think I was running sub hot +6db but at 4:25 when the bass instruments kick in with the drums.. its really cool IMO.. very thick bass with my monolith plus.

Last one,

Game - The City ft Kendrick

Play this on spotify or itunes, get a decent volume BEFORe it plays... lol... this one is awesome cos it doesn't tease at all. hits u straight away.

Just quickly tried all three of them, I will have to adjust settings and sub placement again and see where the best position is.

But the game song......yes that does hit hard. I will experiment with that song tomorrow. From a quick demo the mid bass is there and the low bass just equals spl without hearing the bass.

Will post back tomorrow

Just quickly tried all three of them, I will have to adjust settings and sub placement again and see where the best position is.

But the game song......yes that does hit hard. I will experiment with that song tomorrow. From a quick demo the mid bass is there and the low bass just equals spl without hearing the bass.

Will post back tomorrow

if u buy a microphone and have a laptop u can install REW and this process will become 1000x easier. Trust me mate.. its very hard otherwise and ur ultimately going to be guessing.

Would be interested to hear how this sounds on your mono.

my mono's response on REW was great tho for a single sub so I'm sure it'd sound good.

Yeah I know going down the mic route using REW will be so much easier, it's justifying the cost of the mic and would it actually help with finding that sweet spot without trying one before.

Am I meant to say, how does that sound to your ears on the mono, or do you mean the mono isn't in use any more.

Thanks for the replies anyway mate. I'm just trying to find a sweets pot for me without annoying the neighbours too much.

When I was in my early 20s I had the bk sub with the passive and active sub, I think 300pr and I hammered it on maximum gain without a care for neighbours lol. Don't want to go down that route again.

Yeah I know going down the mic route using REW will be so much easier, it's justifying the cost of the mic and would it actually help with finding that sweet spot without trying one before.

Am I meant to say, how does that sound to your ears on the mono, or do you mean the mono isn't in use any more.

Thanks for the replies anyway mate. I'm just trying to find a sweets pot for me without annoying the neighbours too much.

When I was in my early 20s I had the bk sub with the passive and active sub, I think 300pr and I hammered it on maximum gain without a care for neighbours lol. Don't want to go down that route again.

I've moved it to another room as I changed subwoofers.

I remember my mono sounded awesome down to 25hz.

I've got a free day tomorrow so will experiment again with the game song from my dBC reading's below 50hz is there and I can tell, but 50hz to 100hz the spl isn't there. Might have the sub placed so that it is causing null's.

I did get it sounding good, until I rearrangedmy room and speakers etc.

A bit of me wishes I went for a sealed sub, I've never had problems with them before, and this is my first ported sub.

I've had a few Kef, B&W and BK sub's before from different range's and nostalgia made me go for the mono as everyone raved about it at the time. But the setup process seems difficult.

With past sub's all sealed I just placed them where they looked easy on the eye and was impressed immediately. This mono is a different beast all together.

I'll experiment again tomorrow.

Right, have done some experimenting, movies it is perfect. Music is where I'm not happy with. I don't know if it's my seating position or the sub position or the frequency on the sub plate, have got it in lfe at the moment, or should I have the filter on 120hz when listening to music?

Also have made it forward firing for the moment just to experiment. My seat position in almost in the centre of the room. But if I stand next to any wall the bass is how I want it sound from my seating position if that makes sense. Or do I have to run the sub hotter for music?

Hi,
First time post on AVF. I also run a Monolith+ in my HT setup; room is 5.5 x 4m with the system set up along the longer wall (eg. firing across the shorter dimensions) seating is approx. 1m from the rear wall and the Mono is centrally positioned behind the seats with roughly 40cm gap from rear wall, it sounds excellent on both music and movies in this position and believe me I’ve tried it in every conceivable spot until finally settling it here!

I do find that a lot of the dynamics/slam/definition seem to be flattened when using crossover frequencies of 100hz (on Arcam AVR600 amp) or more so run it at 80hz with the phase set at zero and gain is in just above the quarter-to position with the frequency set at LFE. For me at least this produces a very open and dynamic sound on all material with plenty felt as well as heard bass when it’s really there!

Just briefly, have you got the spikes fitted or is your sub sat only on the original feet? My floor is concrete also with premium underlay and carpet and when using spikes I find it really “leans out“ the bottom end so I avoid using them, might be worth trying a few of these settings to see how it works for your setup?

Last edited:
HI Steve, thanks. The position directly behind my sofa is the only position I haven't tried yet. At the moment it is on the original feet and I have some thick foam under them for the time being until I have finished messing around with it.

I reset the avr and subwoofer yesterday to default and started from fresh, went through the avr manual with a fine tooth comb and followed the hints and tips in the manual.

Watched love and monsters on netflix, an okay film but my God the lfe in that film, I recommend watching it just for that. Well it blew me away and now I can finally see and agree with why the monolith is or was so popular. Crazy spl levels. Or it is the mixing of that film, but magic happened.

Still have to try it with music after resetting everything and starting again.

One question, do you have to alter the sub gain on the avr switching between movies or music ?

Hi Mark; I used to have that problem in the past but not any longer, and especially so after purchasing a DSpeaker Anti-mode 8033 - that really did make quite a huge difference. Something I also meant to ask was what sub cable are you using? I run a Chord single to double phono cable and the difference compared to only using one of the two available inputs on the sub is quite significant, don’t know if you tried this?
Good Luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom