1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New better than old?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ehasler, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ehasler

ehasler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm recently getting back into home cinema after a few years of not having enough room for it, and am in the process of setting up my kit again. :clap:

Having been browsing the magazines and shops in the search for a new TV, I've been drooling over all the new DVD players, amps and speaker sets that are available now, and I'm curious as to how my older kit stands up.

I've got a Pioneer DV717 DVD player, Sony STR-DB930 amp and Mission Cinema 7 speaker set - all purchased about 6 years ago.

I'm not intending to replace any of it in the near future, but I'm interested to know how it compares to the range of equipment available today.

Would it still hold it's own against a current mid-range system, or will even a reasonably cheap DVD player (e.g., Panasonic S97) and amp (Denon AVR-2105) show it a thing or two? Have things progressed much in 6 years?

2. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    Well out of that stuff you have there i have a pioneer 717 DVD player and to be honest i have a few friends and Family with newer kit and from what i see they are no better than the 717, so stick with it. i am :smashin:

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You would get a few more processing options, more power, maybe a bit better surround processing and better stereo reproduction (usually).

Please bear in mind this is purely specalative as one person may not hear what another person thinks they do.