1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Benny Hill DVD (R1)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Glimmer, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just noticed this for release in region 1 on August 24th

Benny Hill Complete and Unadulterated - The Naughty Early Years, Set One (1969-1971) 3 DVD set

Now these, I understand, are the first 11 episodes from when he joined Thames TV. Because of my age I never saw the BBC era of Hill. A year or two ago I bought the Region 1 "Golden Greats" DVD which were episodes compiled from the mid to late 80s. Although amusing, they never quite lived up to the stuff he did in the '70s, even if he did tend to recycle the material.

I think this release will go a long way towards showing Benny & pals in their prime. By the way does anyone know the name of the instrumental music played on clarinet during some of his sketches ? (I know his closing music was "Yakkety Sax")

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Hi Glimmer

I’m just wondering if you want this in TV & Movies or the DVD section, as it contains your view on Benny’s comedy but also a lot of info on the DVD’s. (You cannot have the same thread in both).

Will move if you want. ;)

3. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I think I'll keep it in TV Shows as that was the initial idea. I'm sure a couple of ppl will start recalling their favourite Hill memories and the DVD announcement will take a second seat.

4. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I was a great fan of Benny Hill, I used to watch his shows avidly. I can't help wondering why this has been released on Region 1, he was a British comic through and through. I am aware that he had a great following in the States, but surely this should be a Region 2 as well.

I would love to see some of the Kenny Everett shows released on DVD as well, that man was a comic genious IMO, as was Stanley Baxter. Where are the DVDs of these greats.

I can't say I'm missing the non release of Cannon and Balls greatest moments though. :rolleyes:

5. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could ask that question about the two R1 compilations released a couple of years back. (Golden Greats, Golden classics, etc)

Best I can figure is that somehow the U.S. rights for distribution of Thames programmes is easier to arrange now than the U.K.