1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New BBFC news / DVD releases!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 11, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Some interesting news from the BBFC:

"Crime Story: Season 2" has now been passed by the BBFC. This should mean the brilliant boxed-set from Anchor Bay UK, should be hitting the shelves in the UK very soon!

"Death-Wish II" has still been cut. See here for the details!

Extras for a "Total Recall: Special Edition" have also been classified. There's over an hours worth, so the eventual release could prove interesting! :)

Extras for "Battlestar Galactica" (the 2004 version) has been classified, including over 45 minutes of Deleted Scenes! :clap: This should mean that the eventual boxed-DVD set should definitely be worth investing in. (Extras and shows will all be in DD5.1 and 16:9 widescreen! :clap: )

Anyone remember the early-1990's Channel 4 drama "Killer Net", about a violent internet game?! Well, the whole three-hour-plus, mini-series from Lynda LaPlante, has been given an uncut 18 certificate. Although the BBFC say the show has been "re-edited", it's only had the end-of-episode-1 titles and beginning-of-episode-2 titles removed, to make it into one, big movie. No actual censorship has occurred!

Also, it's been remastered into 16:9 widescreen! An interesting and rather controversial drama for its time. Should be interesting to see what people think of it now!

"Stargate: Atlantis" is being classified, ready for single-volume DVD release in the UK, with extras in tow, from MGM/UA!

The classic 007 film, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", is being re-released, but in a brand-new, 16:9 widescreen, digitally-remastered with tons-of-extras "Ultimate Edition", courtesy of MGM Home Entertainment! A two-disc release, from the sounds of things, this will include for the first time ever, all new commentaries, deleted scenes, and all-new featurettes! :)

"New Fist Of The North Star - Episode 1: The Cursed City" has been passed uncut, including tons of nice extras! This should prove to be a good seller, for AD Vision who are releasing the Anime TV show this year!

"Arrested Development" Seasons 1 and 2 have all been passed by the BBFC, with extras, from 20th Century Fox. A boxed-set should be out in March 2005.

And, lastly, an interesting new series of DVD films, enticingly titled the "Cinema Collection" are currently being passed by the BBFC. So far 5 volumes have been classified, but what makes these collections interesting, is that all the discs contain two-hours worth of film, and all have big-name stars, e.g. Brad Pitt, Gary Sinise, Elijah Wood, Frank Gorshin, Kurtwood Smith, Rod Steiger and Jeff Goldblum! Quite what the "Cinema Collection" is all about, I can't say, but seeing as Volumes 3, 9, 10, 12 and 13 have now been passed, it seems this could be a DVD series worth keeping an eye out for!

Pooch

2. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I vaguely recall Killer Net but I can't remember what I thought of it because it's been so many years since I watched it.

I wish these TV DVD companies would stop releasing single volume DVD releases like stargate SG1, farscape and now stargate: Atlantas and just sell the complete season box-sets from the outset, instead of ripping the fans off with inferior first editions!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But since everyone knows they're going to do that for any popular series why not exercise a little patience and not get ripped off? :)

4. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they shouldn't do that. If you have noticed nearly all TV DVD releases are in box-set form, clearly that is what people want...that's what they should get!

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Lurker75,

Umm, no. What people want, what they deserve, and what they get, are very different! There are many DVD releases that are available, which don't sell well, but which fans of that release have clamoured for! Such companies release these "minority" titles, usualy because the cost of releasing them, is off-set by some of the more popular titles they sell alongside them.

Ideally, yes, all TV shows should be released as boxed-sets. But, a) that's not always possible, and b) some people may not want to buy entire seasons of a show, for numerous reasons. By releasing a show individually, with two or three episodes at a time, and then releasing a complete season/series boxed-set, the company is aiming to please both the true fans, and those who want just some of the episodes, at the same time.

I'd rather have the option to buy just the episode(s) I want, rather than be forced into buying a complete season boxed-set, if that is not what I want. The current way, allows me to do this, but if I wait a bit, I can buy a complete season set as well, should I be have the desire or inclination to. :)

Imagine being forced to buy the whole Bond series, when all you want is "Dr No". Or having to buy all of the six Star Wars films, when you only want the original classic 1977 feature? What about being required to buy all 4 seasons of "Airwolf", when only the first three are the real thing? (The fourth one, was a Canadian TV spin-off that was dire in every aspect!) Like I said, it's down to giving people the choice.

Not everyone can, or wants to, spend the £70 or so for a complete season boxed-set all at once. It may be easier, and more convenient to buy the series, bit-by-bit, ala "Farscape", "Stargate SG-1" and many other such releases.

Pooch