1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Battlestar Galactica Series next month in USA...

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The new Battlestar Galactica series airs next month in the USA on the SCI-FI channel, but when is it out in this country? Anyone heard anything?

Apparently the Sci-Fi channel in this country is a totally different company to the one in the USA, so they are not likely to show it... Hopefully Sky will be showing it soon...

Some trailers and stuff here: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

I want one of these for christmas...

Attached Files:

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    and one of these... :devil:

Attached Files:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    I was reading something the other day and it was saying it was really bad, the Cylons are in human form, the even changed Starbuck into a woman. (Wonder if he is played by Eddy Izzard).

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    So do I, nice Christmas stocking filler, so long as it is not Starbuck in drag,:D

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edward James Olmos came out a few months back and told fans of the original not to watch it.

You gotta respect an actor who will diss his own show because he knows it's bad.

EDIT: Oh man, I just remembered that I had a pair of foam styrofoam ships like that when I was young. They came with a rubber band launching pad. Man, it must suck being a kid nowadays. No cool toys.

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Aren't all the old cast really bitter about not being involved with this or not being allowed to make their own show?

Dirk Benedict should put all his efforts into resurrecting George Peppard for a new series of the A-Team.

8. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richard Hatch (the bloke that played Apollo) wanted to do a continuation of the original series ignoring the galactica 1980 stuff where they found earth and had the annoying Dr Z kid.

I'd have much rather seen a continuation than the same story rehashed. If they had written a good story arc like B5 then maybe it would have been ok but it looks like they've just bastardised the original story and changed some characters for women to make sex scenes easier to do.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh dear :thumbsdow

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    Cant say much about the series as it havent aired yet but all I am looking forward to are the battles, always wanted to see a Viper and Cylon Fighter created in CGI, I just hope they keep the original sound effect and theme tune, I know the PS2 game that is based on the new series has the original theme and sound effects and even more suprising Dirk Benedict and Richard Hatch did voice overs for the PS2 game, at least they were involved in the new Battlestar Galactica in some way.

11. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the CGI is based on the original series as well, they just did the one 5 second special effect and play it over and over again :D :D

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    Alot of the CGI that is in the trailers for the series is in the PS2 game and it looks awesome.

13. Silverado

Silverado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty excited about it myself, man! I am totally into the whole sexy cylon thing and am right now as I type watching the "Lowdown" for the miniseries and although the new Starbuck seems like she is a real bore, I think the effects and the feel of the show looks hot and cool enough for me. And I am told that Aint it Cool News has turned into a moldering yellow turd!

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :confused: But surely if it is bad, won't fans of the original love it? The original was truly appalling. Even as a juvie I found it to be dreadful. Catching it in adult years it has evolved into truly unwatchable. This is "Battlestar Galactica" we're talking about here isn't it? Along with "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" possibly the nadir of televised science fiction.

15. Silverado

Silverado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, back off man! :) I loved the series in 1978 and I think I am really going to love the new one, to be sure! I have seen some clips and I really think I am going to love it!

16. Silverado

Silverado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    I was hoping they would keep the original theme tune and sound effects, doesnt seem they have.

18. Silverado

Silverado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope -- they have just the sort of intense drum thing -- I watched some more Original Series last night... War of the Gods 2nd and it was bloody bizarre! The whole Satan, God, Higher Power, Apollo-as-Christ thing -- wow!

I grew up watching the series in 70s and then seeing the Galactica 1980 (with Wolfman Jack) and actually am quite happy to scooch aside and offer some room to this new show, which treats the Battlestar Galactica story like Jazz: all the old themes and melodies are there and intact but this is a wild and often dark interpretation. The original might have had rose-colored glasses, but this one is wearing dark wrap-around sunglasses!

Although I have been reading a lot about the new Battlestar Galactica and some of the early reviews say that the show is way too sexy, but what I saw was a plot and character-driven space opera that’s a little edgy and pretty cool. The premise is that the Galactica (and her crew) is a reluctant hero. She was ready to be decommissioned and be turned into a museum, as were many of her commanders, and then she is pressed forth to become heroic. I think the story led the sexuality a lot more then vice-versa.

Upon seeing the first half of the new Battlestar Galactica series, I think Edward James Olmos’ character, Commander Adama, is going to present some intense issues between the old and new worlds of the Galactica legacy. The generational gaps and tensions are already starting to manifest themselves through him as a veteran stalwart Battlestar leader.

Who would have known that Number Six could act and who knew that I would actually prefer Starbuck as a girl? This Battlestar Galactica is from an alternate universe and should be allowed to live on its own merit. In fact, I think if we play our cards right and support the show (both nights) and then maybe get our friends to see the re-showings, we might be able to convince Sci Fi to make this a proper series. Too many reality shows! We need more storytelling like I saw last night!

Oh, FYI:

09-DEC-03 6:52 PM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 1
    09-DEC-03 9:00 PM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 2
    09-DEC-03 11:04 PM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 2
    09-DEC-03 1:08 AM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 2
    10-DEC-03 7:00 PM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 2
    14-DEC-03 7:00 PM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 1
    14-DEC-03 9:08 PM SCI FI PICTURES BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -PT 2

19. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    I am actually putting off watching the first part until I get the second part so I can watch it all at once.

I know alot of people dont agree with downloading shows but I have been waiting for this to air for ages and knowing my luck it wont air on British TV at all like that Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers show.

20. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be fair, legend of the rangers is really, really awful :)

Assuming its the one I'm thinking of where the woman fires weapons by floating in mid air and pretending to punch and kick things.....

I'll definately watch the new galactica to see what it's like though :)

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    Couldnt help myself, just finished watching the first part, not bad at all, lots of links to the original series like designs of the old Cyclons and models of basestars in the museum but it is 40 years later so I would expect Vipers to have been upgraded, same with the Cyclons, not a bad way to end the first part, cant wait till the next one.

I hope some company in the UK decides to get this over here soon.

22. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Watched it last night, Curiosity got the better of me.
    I agree there were some nice little homages to the origional series, the museum for example and the original theme playing during the fly past and used as the tv news theme music.
    On the whole the effects were very good and nice to finally see that someone has realised that you can´t hear spaceships engines in the vacuum of space.
    The music is awful though adding absolutely no drama to the battle scenes, these scenes just seem a bit flat.
    It also has lost all the the humour of the original generally taking itself far too seriously.
    Fans of the old show will have trouble with this one.
    But if the whole series goes on like this I am looking with interest

23. Silverado

Silverado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least it wasn't dumbed down.

24. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Silverado what I meant by "loosing the humour" was only that I was shocked to see Battlestar Galactica done seriously and that fans of the original may have a problem with that. Personally I quite like it, just takes some getting used to.
    Unlike the cylon victorias secret babe who I could get used to very quickly;)

25. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just watched part 2 :smashin:

26. Silverado

Silverado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think someone mentioned that this is more of a normal reaction to the kind of devistation that suffered through vs. Starbuck chasing tail from the get-go!

27. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    According to Sky Text it is on Sky Movies 2 - Mon 16th Feb & Tue 17th Feb :clap:

28. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i watched all of it in 1 go and thought it was very good (seems strange wanting to get into starbucks knickers:laugh: )

well worth a look

as far as i,m aware they have yet 2 make a decision on making it into a series

29. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone watch this last night? I quite enjoyed it if only for the evilness of the cylons nuking everything they could see.

I'll be looking forward to the second part tonight :)

It's not so bad if you forget the original series.

30. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the cyclon woman was well tasty

definitely worth shafting mankind in return for shafting,

no i'll leave it there