new battery for my laptop... is external an option?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cribeiro, Mar 19, 2006.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hello everyone,

I have spent about one hour trying to find information and prices in internet, and I have more questions than answers...
    My problem: my laptop is already 3 years old, and the battery (66 Wh) does not last more than 20 min. Now that my girlfriend got her new laptop and that we have a wireless router, I realize how convenient it is to have at least one or two hours battery (but I am looking into getting about 5...), so I am looking for a solution.

I have a dell, and dell original batteries cost about 120 euro (and won't last more than a couple of hours, maybe 3), so I decided to search for an alternative... I can find batteries in ebay for 46 euro (claimed to be compatible), but I don't know if I should risk it... The second solution would be an external battery, and there I could get a lot of capacity (and an added plus: it won't get so hot, so it might live longer). The BIG minus is that it would definately reduce mobility, since it is not rigidly attached to the computer.

I would like to read your opinions on this matter, or at least I beg you to point me to the right source of information (sooo much info in the net, and I can't find the proper bits).

I thank you in advance, best regards,

Alberto

2. damage

damage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hiya,

which dell?

my old acer had option of secondary battery in the multibay drive whihc usually housed my cdplayer. therefore for holidays i had a secondary batt and a spare primary one. each cost about 100 quid

the lenght of battery life decreases with age - while im sure this is partly due to battery wearning out, also the fact that most laptops get cluttered easily is a factor - when i was forced to do a reformat im sure (though no stats) that this significantly improved my life

with acer, i dont beleive there was an external battery option

with new laptop, hp compaq, i went for an external battery which clips on to the underside giving me about 7 hours in total (though not tested yet)

dont know what the deal with dell is - the multibay batt for the acer was convenient (note you could not swap the primary batteries even with secondary attached and get continuous power) and might be an option
    the hp external batter is great, its rigidly and exactly clipped on and not much noticible effect on weight.

i dont know about ebay, i would go for them if you felt confident they were new.

i suggest you look around. the trick i find to buying all computer parts is first find out the part product number (a long string, usually from manufacturers website)
    then you can google this and click in uk only search, a much more efficient way of finding the cheapest retailer

im not a total computer geek, so cant be entirely sure if this is accurate as its knowledge learnt from fiddling, but disclaimer over

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hello Damage,

thank you very much for your piece of advice. I will try with the part product number. My laptop is a dell inspiron 4150, and it does have the possibility to get a larger battery that can be plugged in the dvd-player bay, but I cannot find this item in www.dell.de (I am located in Germany). Moreover, if the default one (66 Wh) costs already 120 euro, I don't want to even consider a bigger one for the dvd-player bay...
    The "cluttering" plays a role... The more applications you run at the same time, the more power you will need... And usually they installed themselves to be run at windows start up (like small icons in the icon tray bar, or whatever the english name is....).

I am still open to more suggestions, greetings,

Alberto

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    turning down the backlight a few notches will double your battery life in most cases, and always turn off your wifi if your not using it.... these 2 things are what really drain your battery.....

Can't really help on your original Q though.... other than I use the media bay batteries myself and they are roughly the same price as the primary battery..

5. damage

damage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hiya

had a look around for the 4150 batteries, normal and multibay

looks like they are 70 quid each, so i guess its your call. cant find anything on external batteries, though admittedly only looked briefly

as for uncluttering, if you cant / dont want to do a reformat (about 10 hours work min i'd estimate esp if you have to reinstall sp1 and sp2 etc)

then do a adaware scan, a defragment ccleaner and a virus check

then if you type in msconfig into run i use this site http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    to pick which ones to have ticked

doing all these things regularly keep your laptop as free as possible

still nothing beats the feeling of a laptop after a reformat - assuming you havent just deleted all your files by mistake...

also, use hibernate rather than standby when possible

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Turning your screen brightness down when on Battery power makes a HUGE difference in battery power as well

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    Drop these guys an e-mail. They also used to do the external packs but don't know if they still do.

8. damage

damage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    actually have used these guys

needed a power lead urgently so went to pick one up -
    not aware quite how tricky they would be to find
    (being a warehouse rather than a commercial shopfront)

a tube and bus, then walk of a few miles through unlit back alleys and subways (got there after 5 o clock during winter)

even when i got in the trading estate it was still not obvious and i managed to ask two people within 5 m of their door and neither of them knew where the battery shop was (or spoke english!)

saying that, when i found them, great shop, had my part, and even offered me a bus fare back, but that wasnt nec as i had planned to use the local train station

(i dont want to get started on angel railway station - absolutely the most antisocial station in the world! from being in sight of the platform, it took an hour to find the way in!)

9. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    what about linux ;-) I live with both in my laptop. I admit windows is way easier when I want to deal with something new... like connecting my new iaudio x5l... 5 min in Windows [at most!], 30 min in Linux, and looking for infos in internet all the time....; nevertheless, and if we don't consider this, I never cursed while using linux... ;-) Ok, only once, when I could only work in text mode after an upgrade...

Thanks everyone for the information... It really looks like I will have to go for the dell one... I will have to call or send an email asking for the battery that goes in the dvd-bay, since it does not appear in the german website...
    Best regards,

Alberto