1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Barco CRT models!?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Thunder, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Having a look at the Barco web site I notice that in their current products section they have several CRT projectors listed? I know that they sold their home cinema division to TEC but are these new products any good for HC just as the older Graphics and Data models are :confused: There is a 8" that seems to have a similar spec to the Cine 8 called the 908, there is a 9" again similar spec to the Cine 9 called the 909 and theres even a 12"!! :eek: :confused:

2. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    These aren't new. They are high spec high light output models designed for simulators I believe. I don't think they have some of the niceties that the cine9 has to give the best picture for Home Cinema. I think they are very expensive.

Martin

3. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mark, as Martin said they are not new, Barco built a huge range of oddball stuff, that most are not aware of.
    For instance the units you mention are, a cine 9 (actually a 909) with 8" tubes???
    I actually priced one of these up for myself last year.The R 909 (R for reality) is a beast that is responsible for causing more confusion than any other PJ on the planet.
    Why I hear you ask? Many (most of the guy's stateside) think its a high specification cine 9, its actually a cine 9 less limo pro (wise move) its ability to scan higher is not down to design changes, rather its a de-restricted cine 9, however to allow it to cool itself at these ludicrous scan rates they run the fans flat out...constantly! boy is it noisey.
    To correct another myth, most R909 do have colour filters.
    Now the 912 reality is a 12" beast, yes you did read that right, 12" and 500 ansi lumens! mark to give you an idea my 9500 you saw on Saturday with red colour filter (green done as standard) would be around 225 ansi.
    Just before you both reach for the chequebook's please note they are a two piece unit, tubes in one housing and electronics in another, they cost just over £80.000 and tubes are over £7000 each. :eek:
    They were actually built for mercedes,although us crt guy's know Barco just wanted to give everyone else "THE BIRD" :)

JAMES

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Simulation and virtual reality centers have always been the largest consumer of CRT projectors. They still demand the ability to achieve 100% black and the need the total control over geometry.

The 909 has been around for about 5-6 years now and it is the dogs danglies of projectors for sharpness. I agree with James that with out some work on the fans it is only the weight of the the projector that keeps it still.

The 908 is relativly new but is really an 808/cine 8 with the option of liquid coupled tubes. and the new spot control focus to make it sharper.

The reason that the Cine range of projectors had their specifications down rated was to cope with the relativly poor resolution of sources available in the home cinema market. (yep even 1080p)
    Back in my days at Barco I performed the first demonstation of the 909 to Snell and Wilcox with their Interpolator Gold. It was the first projector they had seen that was able to show all the information.

The Cine 9 orginally started as the Cine MAX untill Barco realised that this was the name of a cinema chain in Germany and had to change it to the Cine 9.

One of they key differences in the simulation machines is the amount of geometry and convergence latitiude allowed.These projectors are often out of the normal installed position or onto screens that are not flat or have straight edges. Hence the need to cool them quickly.

One of Barco's OEM customers is a company called SEOS who make the masive aircraft,ship and military simulators. The minimum number of projectors on their rigs seems to be three. but I have seen a simulator that used 12 projectors.

If you want to see an unresticted 909 projector (the machine I have is actually a 919). I have recently taken in three units and have set one up in my demo room. You are more than welcome to come take a look

5. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn, I wish I was nearer Reading - I'd love to see what a projector of that size could do!

6. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Roland do you think they will ever suss out that you and I are one and the same person??? when I appear as you I simply pop the hair piece on :rotfl:
    Its also worth pointing out that tubes don't mind being 'bucked' about in simulator's, the fixed panel units with their fragile lamp filaments don't lend themselves to the sim application.

james

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You'll notice we are never seen together. (too busy) right now I could do with clone.

I have noticed with you are typing I have no reflection in the mirror

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    That's because you're a part-time vampire.

9. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Yeah, real CRT'ers only come out at night!

10. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ve vil only accept red 'c' elements zat are blood red in colour!

Vlad the converger

11. yson

yson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is not a Sony G90 thread, but anybody could help me find a G90 calibrator or at least tell me his username/e-mail ?

Does anybody here seen a G90 before calibrated correctly ? If so, how does it do in comparison to the 909 or Cine9 in terms of picture qualities ?

12. yson

yson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant after calibrated correctly G90, not before

13. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi yson,

I can help you with the G90 if you need it, if you wish to check me out then ask around (forum or other) then come back to me.
    Will also answer your G90 vs other's questions.

james

14. ygoh

ygoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,

Do you know if the Barco 909 still have the yolk ringing that appear on the left side of the screen ? Did they fix it yet ?

How is the video noise on the 909, is it lower than the Marquee9500 ?

15. ygoh

ygoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yolk ringing in effect will shows up as multiple vertical lines on the white screen, just to be precise

16. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The effect you refer to is actually called raster ringing, which all crt's do at the higher scan and in particular higher re-trace times,only and I repeat this 'only' the cine nineis free of this problem,although it can be removed in a short time on all Barco and marquee units.
    The marquee's have an ultra clean and low image noise by construction, they have an ultra short signal path.
    The cine 9 in,in stock form compared to any other crt in stock form is "the best there will ever be"

james

17. ygoh

ygoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you James

Speaking of low image noise, does the wider RGB bandwidth lower the video noise ?

18. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Bandwidth is a loose measurement of the amount of information getting through so a lower bandwidth will be needed to reduce noise in other parts of a sytem.
    Video noise can result anywhere, be it a bad connector, poor cable, badly matched scaller or DVD player.
    If you have a high band width projector say but lower bandwidth cables or other equipment video noice will result. (just like in a sound sytem). But you can similarly have the highest specified equipment with a lower band width projector and not realise the whole potential. It's alla question of balance.

Vertical ringing on the left of the image (raster, coil, yoke, tube what ever you want to call it today) is as a result of the windings around the tube and how they leave the deflection coils the Barco 909,908,(919 ;) ,918) Cine Max and Cine are all free from the effect)

19. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There you have it ygoh, you have heard it from Henry, Roland and myself, I hope you found the detailed pm's of interest, Bandwidth is both a measure of information and detail, but this is only one tiny facet of what makes a projector good, at the end of the day a cine 9, marquee 9500 and G90 are all awesome units that anyone on this forum or otherwise would wish to aspire to.
    A nine inch unit showing hi-def really is eye candy there is no other way to describe it, ask the guy's who attended my event, if you are in the UK for the 22nd you could always attend yourself you will be most welcome.

james

20. ygoh

ygoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never been to your event before, so could you tell me little bit about it. How about the location of it.

21. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ygoh, you can read all about it on the mini event thread on this forum, I think most of the guy's that visited posted up their opinions, best to ask them I may be biased ;)

james

22. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

..A criminal offence in Brixton I hear..

23. Rapture

Rapture
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I getting three Barco graphic 908 crts and not a split pack. I am going to try to rent out two of them and any information regarding the 908g (g for graphic)? I have looked and this is a rare crt.