New bank account,

I all I've had a natwest bank account for around 18 years, and for some reason they have restricted the atm's I can use. Namely RBS and natwest which is but of a pain as I'm 5 mile from the nearest natwest, so I'm gonna get a new account, I've not got the best credit rating at the mo, but should I have any trouble getting another account? Even just a basic one for DD and wages?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
santander , i had a right chew on with RBS for the same reasons you have , couldnt give me an answer why i couldnt upgrade my current account , so i told them to shove it , went to santander and got a proper debit card , interst on the account and £100 free after 14 weeks :smashin:

Is there any reason why I couldn't get an account, I'm sure I read somewhere that it's illegal for them not to offer me even the most basic account going,?

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
its very unlikely you get declided for an account, if your credit history is that bad they will decline you having an overdraft if you apply for one but otherwise its fine.

Check things like quidco aswell as you may be able to get some cashback on top of the £100+ incentives banks run

Solar

Get a Co-op account, they take on people that have declared bankruptcy so you should have no trouble getting a CC from them. They are possibly the only bank that are not set out to rip off Joe Average too.

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
Is there any reason why I couldn't get an account, I'm sure I read somewhere that it's illegal for them not to offer me even the most basic account going,?

Why on earth do you imagine they have to offer you an account (of whatever sort). A bank, like most other ltd businesses is a separate entity under the law, 'it' gets to choose who it deals with or not. This is no different to a shop refusing to sell you something - it's up to them.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
jimbobarooney said:
I all I've had a natwest bank account for around 18 years, and for some reason they have restricted the atm's I can use. Namely RBS and natwest which is but of a pain as I'm 5 mile from the nearest natwest, so I'm gonna get a new account, I've not got the best credit rating at the mo, but should I have any trouble getting another account? Even just a basic one for DD and wages?

Have you asked Nat West if you can upgrade your account? It's only the basic account (step account they used to call it, can't remember if they still do) that's restricted to those ATMs. I'm on the same account for the same reasons, fortunately I've got plenty of those around me anyway, so it's not really an inconvenience at the moment.

I have thought about going in and asking if I can have the next account up, but without the overdraft and credit card.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
GasDad said:
Why on earth do you imagine they have to offer you an account (of whatever sort). A bank, like most other ltd businesses is a separate entity under the law, 'it' gets to choose who it deals with or not. This is no different to a shop refusing to sell you something - it's up to them.

When I got into difficulties a few years back I was told by the Consumer Credit Counselling Service to open up an account with a different bank to the one I was with and they told me all banks were obliged to offer everyone at least the most basic of accounts.

I assume it's some banking regulation or something. They obviously don't have to offer you any kind of borrowing (overdraft, credit card etc...) but they must offer you an account where money can be paid on and withdrawn.

NoMansLand

Novice Member
You won't have any problems getting a basic account.

Not sure why your bandied the word "illegal" around though. If they decide not to offer you an account, the bank manager won't be arrested and hauled in front of a magistrate.

They are not obliged as you say and there is no regulatory reason to do so, but will offer foundational accounts (the Natwest term) which have absolutely no credit facilities...after all you are a customer and may turn things around.

I suspect (I don't know however) there have been instances where foundational account owners have used other bank ATM's to draw funds and then draw more from Natwest / RBS before RBoS "found out", leading to an overdraft that wasn't paid.

When I got into difficulties a few years back I was told by the Consumer Credit Counselling Service to open up an account with a different bank to the one I was with and they told me all banks were obliged to offer everyone at least the most basic of accounts.

I assume it's some banking regulation or something. They obviously don't have to offer you any kind of borrowing (overdraft, credit card etc...) but they must offer you an account where money can be paid on and withdrawn.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
i was with barclays before i moved to my natwest step account.
nothing wrong with them, they were just bitchy with me when a DD got messed up for a second time (neither my fault nor barclays) they refunded it both times but because of the "dont do it again" attitude and the fact it was my money i took it elsewhere lol

so i can recommend barclays for their basic account (Remember Barclays and HSBC didnt get into financial difficulties like most other banks!)

I believe natwest are doing what they are doing to "tighten their belts"
they are automatically upgrading peoples accounts last time i checked anyway?
or maybe it was just an offer to upgrade

Miss Mandy

I think most banks now offer a basic bank account that has no credit facilities of any sort. Its worth asking Natwest if they'll upgrade your account though as I had no problem getting that done with mine to get around this problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom