New backward-compatible titles for the Xbox 360

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether or not Microsoft will ultimately dim the lights on continuing backwards compatibility work as indicated back in GDC 2007, they're still working on it now. Xbox.com has the official and updated-to-April list for original Xbox games playable on the Xbox 360. See how many of your favorite classics made it this time (and how many games with a next-gen brother still got updated):

* Breakdown
* Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
* Call of Duty 3
* Cars
* Crash Bandicoot 5: Wrath of Cortex
* Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics
* FIFA Soccer 2007
* Full Spectrum Warrior
* Guilty Gear Isuka
* JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future
* MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
* Mercenaries
* NASCAR 2006: Total Team Control
* NFL Fever 2004
* Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
* Panzer Dragoon ORTA
* Phantom Dust
* Reservoir Dogs
* Return To Castle Wolfenstein
* RugbyLeague 2
* Sonic Riders
* Soul Calibur 2
* Star Wars Republic Commando
* Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
* The King of Fighters Neowave
* The King of Fighters 2002 & 2003
* Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 07
* Tony Hawk's Underground
* Ultra Bust-A-Move
* Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
* Xiaolin Showdown

Thats the only one I have been waiting for :cool:

Mercenaries :clap: :smashin:

cool Rebublic Commando now works. But still no Riddick c'mon that game was cool.

Yay, Panzer Dragoon :clap: Every time they do an update I see posts that people want that one (I post too). So glad to see that one.

No Rallisport Challenge 2 and no Riddick... bah :(

Soul Calibur 2 though! Now that's a welcome addition.

Might have to have a look on eBay for that as VF5 is a long way off and DOA sucks donkey balls.

No PGR2 either :thumbsdow

Full spectrum warrior and return to castle wolfenstein are both welcome additions for me :thumbsup:

where'd u get that list from...just looked on xbox.xom and they dont have street fighter listed...been waiting for that for ages :D

MERCENARIES!!! About bloomin' time!!! Now if only if I can beat the final card...I couldn't do it no matter how much I tried on the Xbox.

Shame they don't put more work into vga support.

Mark.

MERCENARIES!!! About bloomin' time!!! Now if only if I can beat the final card...I couldn't do it no matter how much I tried on the Xbox.

I did that. You have to be very sneaky and patient. Dont take the obvious path. try and climb places your not meant to.

Jet Set Radio Future (PAL) doesn't work - neither the standalone disc, or the dual Sega GT 2002/JSRF disc. Panzer Dragoon has been confirmed as crashing at the end of the third level, throwing you back to the dashboard.

It was speculated on another forum that the dusl-game disc version of JSRF doesn't work because it's set up like a demo disc, but Sega GT 2002 works on the NTSC disc. The NTSC dual-game version of JSRF doesn't work either, but the standalone version does - albeit with heavy slowdown in places.

I have the PAL dual-game disc :(

I did that. You have to be very sneaky and patient. Dont take the obvious path. try and climb places your not meant to.

I'm not even sure how close I was to 'the end' in fact, I remember getting to the gates, and then on top of the nearest hill to take out some of the tanks...not sure how far I had to go beyond that! It certainly was a compelling game. I couldn't believe it wasn't better received than it was in all honesty.

Let's hope Mercenaries 2: WIF is just as good.

Cheers for the tip!

See how many of your favorite classics made it this time
........in my case, none.

No Rallisport Challenge 2 and no Riddick... bah :(

No PGR2 either :thumbsdow

Jet Set Radio Future (PAL) doesn't work - neither the standalone disc, or the dual Sega GT 2002/JSRF disc.

I have the PAL dual-game disc :(

As all of the above above, also they added Oddworld:Abes Exodus but not Strangers Wrath which is the one I have, only other game I have is Top Spin, I know the 360 version is pretty cheap now but I don't want to buy it again not really being into tennis games.

Ah well, I gave up on the B/C updates months ago, very strange choices each time IMO.

....Soul Calibur 2 though! Now that's a welcome addition...

I don't believe it! I honestly only tried this game last night on the off-chance that they'd updated the bc software without me realizing, but no joy. I never got far into this game on the original xbox because it was one of the discs that the machine would have problems reading (usually just as I was getting into a session.)
Anyway, I'm tempted to give it another go now, especially as I can now play it in 720p! :D

SCII would also output in 720p on the original Xbox if you had the HD pack, albeit in a 4:3 format. Still looked great though :)

Im gutted about JSRF. I have the stand alone retail version and it will not work. That was the one game on the list I REALLY wanted to play again :(

I just won SCII eBay for £4. Should arrive tomorrow :thumbsup:

I'm using the VGA cable so will I have to do anything to get it to display full screen?

The only other xbox game I've tried was KOTOR II and that seemed to be stuck on 4:3 so I gave it to a mate (completed it anyway).

I dont think I could play SCII 4:3 on a widescreen HDTV.

Cheers ;)

Noticed mercenaries became playable on the 360 with this update around the same time as it was for the ps3 with the 1.7 update, wonder if thats a sign of things to come.

If a game wasn't written in a 16:9, display, the only way to get it to stretch and fill the screen is to set your 360 to 480p. I prefer original aspect ratio though.

You cannot play Xbox 1 games on 360 through VGA as you need to be set at 50hz which means 480p through component or Composite.

Apparently thats gonna change with the spring update but who knows.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom