• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New baby great excuse for new camera!

Toonaroond

Established Member
Hi,

Due to the imminent arrival of our first born the missus and I have decided that we need a decent quality camera to record those cute vomiting/poo-ing/peeing moments for posterity!

This will be our only camera so the other main applications will need to be covered too i.e. holiday shots, weddings, parties ..... you know, the usual.

It has to be compact (but not tiny - eg the Panny DMZ FZ7 would be too big, and the TZ-1 would be about the limit I think)

We are dedicated point and shooters to be fair and have little knowledge about apertures, ISO and similar stuff which confuses our tiny minds.

So far I am thinking about;-

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
FUJI FinePix F30
Canon SD700 IS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01b
Ricoh Caplio R4

(I like the wide angle of the last two but is not the be-all and end all to us)

We are willing to pay up to £300 if we need to.

Anybody got any thoughts on the above cameras based on our situation? (or any "must-see" alternatives - god I hope not, it's too complicated already!!!)

Cheers

johndow

Established Member
I am in the same position (baby i mean), only i bought a point and shoot last year. However, I am using it as an excuse to spend quite a bit of time on photoshop correcting some old pictures and getting practice at the moment.

Best of luck, and look forward to seeing some good baby shots:smashin:

JD

Toonaroond

Established Member
Cheers John,

and good luck to you too - think we'll need it!!:smashin:

(just worried I won;t have the energy to take pics after a couple of weeks of sleepness nights :boring: )

Pirate!!

Banned
Toonaroond said:
Hi,

Due to the imminent arrival of our first born the missus and I have decided that we need a decent quality camera to record those cute vomiting/poo-ing/peeing moments for posterity!

This will be our only camera so the other main applications will need to be covered too i.e. holiday shots, weddings, parties ..... you know, the usual.

It has to be compact (but not tiny - eg the Panny DMZ FZ7 would be too big, and the TZ-1 would be about the limit I think)

We are dedicated point and shooters to be fair and have little knowledge about apertures, ISO and similar stuff which confuses our tiny minds.

So far I am thinking about;-

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
FUJI FinePix F30
Canon SD700 IS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01b
Ricoh Caplio R4

(I like the wide angle of the last two but is not the be-all and end all to us)

We are willing to pay up to £300 if we need to.

Anybody got any thoughts on the above cameras based on our situation? (or any "must-see" alternatives - god I hope not, it's too complicated already!!!)

Cheers
I may be biased here, but with OIS and decent optical zoom, the TZ1 would get my vote. Frankly, if this is your shortlist, I would do the review research first and maybe you can narrow it down some more until you get what YOU NEED. No point having all the bells and whistles if you're not going to use them and pay for the privilege!

Reviews on your shortlist (it may or may not help): :thumbsup:

Finepix F30
Canon SD 700 IS
Panasonic FX01
Panasonic DMC-TZ1
Ricoh Caplio R4

Toonaroond

Established Member
Jazz Monkey, my mother swears by a bit of brandy in the bottle:smashin: but we're breast feeding:confused:

Pirate - have read all the reviews and been to have a look at the cameras in person - the only thing you can't get to find out is how these cameras are to live with - that's the sort of info I was after to be honest.....any help on these lines gratefully received....

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom