1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AVR300 won't respond to CR80 remote

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rob.sfo, Jun 15, 2005.

1. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my new AVR300 home, unpacked, wired up & running like a sweet charm. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get it to respond to the CR80 remote. I've poured through both manuals with no luck...it appears the AVR300 should function out of the box with the remote. Am I being stupid & missing something?

I've tried everything I can (including searching the forums, google, etc) & am totally stumped. I'd appreciate any help.

:lease:

Cheers,
    Rob

2. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh...and I've successfully programmed it to control all the other components I have. The AVR300 simply isn't responding.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    You have selected 'amp' from the source control buttons at the top of the remote?

4. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Do ANY of the buttons work on the CR80 (eg Volume+/-)? If Yes it would suggest that it's the remote at fault, rather than the amp. If no, do you have an Arcam DVD player? If yes does the amp respond to the volume controls from the DVD player's remote. If no - back to the shop I'm afraid. I had my CR80 replaced by Arcam because the small buttons at the bottom did not work correctly with my DV29.

6. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are the batteries dead? when you push any button on the CR80, all buttons should lite up

7. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything on the remote works fine when controlling my Satellite receiver, PVR & DVD player. Nothing I do will elicit any reaction whatsoever out of the AVR300.

I do not have an Arcam DVD player. :mad:

Since the remote is working fine for everything else, I would assume that it's either the remote's AMP button/functionality is fubar, or the AVR300s IR is. I tried to set up my TiVo remote to control the AVR300, but Arcam is not listed in the TiVo setup menu, and I haven't yet investigated how to set up an unlisted component with the TiVo remote.

8. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See above...the remote works fine for everything but the AVR300 (AMP function).

9. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just out of interest, did you try using the CR80 with the AVR300 before you programmed the new commands in for the other kit?

10. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I tried using the remote new out of the box with the AVR300, struggled with it for an hour, then thought to try programming the other devices to see if the remote was working at all.

11. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK, perhaps try this......
    In case it has "forgotten" the AMP page on the remote should be for the AVR300 (AV8), try setting it back to how it should've been shipped.
    Follow the "Programming other components" section of the CR80 manual, and assign the 'AMP' page manufacturer code 1216.

Can't guarantee that it's gonna work, but that's my understanding of the CR80 manual.

12. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I tried that too. After I entered the code, it gave me a single longer flash, instead of the customary two flashes indicating a successful programming.

I also tried to reset the AMP function to default, using the 9-9-1 code (if memory servers, I did it last night). That had no effect either. :confused:

I've placed a call to my dealer and dropped an email to Arcam to see if I can't get a bit of official help, but keep the ideas coming! :thumbsup:

13. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

It looks like you probably have a faulty IR sensor in your amp. I'v never seen that before but there is always a fist time.

One last thing to try before getting your dealer to check it out. The AVR300 can have the IR system code set to 19 (normally it is 16) so that it can work in the same room as another code 16 unit without interfering with it. It is just possible your unit has the wrong code setting.

You can check this in the eng menu. To get into the eng menu press RDS info and preset tune at the same time on the front panel of the unit. Then press the down V key to go to the main zone RC5 setting this shoudl read 16 if it is 19 then that is probably the reason its not working. You can change it with the <> keys. Press V down key again twice to get to the exit prompt then press OK to exit. Don't leave the unit set on 19 as it will definately not work with a standard remote in this mode (and would confuse any tests the dealer might do). The other thing you coudl try is a system reset however this is unlikely to fix it. You will see this option it is called restore if you set it to yes then exit the menu the internal settings memory will be reset.

Regards,
    Andrew

14. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andrew....My dealer & I had the same thought re: the IR sensor.

I'll try diving into the eng menu tongiht...thanks for the how-to.

15. rob.sfo

rob.sfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pressing RDS info and preset tune at the same time did nothing. No eng menu. :mad: I tried a bunch of other key combo's with no effect either.

16. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Rob,

Two possibilities here, either the unit has very early software (this wouldn't explainthe loss of IR though), or possibly there is a problem with the micro on the front panel.

Either way sounds like you should take the unit back to your dealer to investigate. I am very sorry you are having problems with the unit and I hope that your dealer can resolve them quickly.

Regards,
    Andrew