rocknroll3103

Standard Member
Reaction score
(To sum up) Just after Lockdown1 started my Arcam AVR 500 blew up again (the bog standard overheating problem) and Arcam have quoted £470 to repair it. My local Arcam dealer has been closed (Arcam won't accept direct deliveries) until recently and reopened for two days just before Lockdown2 came into force. As a consequence I'm on TV sound but am really fed up with it.

I've also now decided that I'll buy a new AVR, fix the Arcam and then flog it somewhere. My question to you all, is what should I buy for £1,500? The new Denon 3700 seems to be getting great reviews, anything else worth considering?

I would suggest grabbing one of the Arcam AVR550's from Richer Sounds before they all go, or if they have all gone, an AVR390.

I would suggest grabbing one of the Arcam AVR550's from Richer Sounds before they all go, or if they have all gone, an AVR390.
I'd rather break away from Arcam, their reliability and levels of customer service stink

It's about breakeven, having real problems finding anyone else who'll touch it
You might get a few quid for it on Ebay if you sell it as spares or repair.

I'd rather break away from Arcam, their reliability and levels of customer service stink
Fair enough. The outgoing models are practically half price right now, and they come with a 5 year warranty. I have four AVR's at home in different rooms, an Arcam, Marantz, Denon and Yamaha. I wouldn't want a Denon or Yamaha in my main room - maybe if it was the absolute top of the range one eg Denon 8500, or if it was a mid range with added power amps and a stereo HT bypass amp for music.

Essentially I think if you switch from your Arcam to a md range Denon, you may be disappointed with how it sounds. It depends on what your priorities are.

You might get a few quid for it on Ebay if you sell it as spares or repair.

Fair enough. The outgoing models are practically half price right now, and they come with a 5 year warranty. I have four AVR's at home in different rooms, an Arcam, Marantz, Denon and Yamaha. I wouldn't want a Denon or Yamaha in my main room - maybe if it was the absolute top of the range one eg Denon 8500, or if it was a mid range with added power amps and a stereo HT bypass amp for music.

Essentially I think if you switch from your Arcam to a md range Denon, you may be disappointed with how it sounds. It depends on what your priorities are.
Point taken. The 550 seems to have sold out, the Denon gets good write ups. Any experience of Anthem?

Gone. I just looked to link another member who's looking to upgrade their AV amp. They still have the 390.

There's no doubting Arcam's ability with music sources when they are working correctly. A Denon and a standalone stereo amp with HT by-pass is going to have to be used to get anywhere near that quality. A good stereo amp will probably outperform the Arcam for music.

It depends on what you want to use the amp for. I'm more than happy with a high end Denon and Rega stereo amp combination. Can't see me wanting to change that combination for a one box solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom