New AVR or speakers first?

probedb

Ex Member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't sure where to post since it could be either :)

Anyways, I'm getting to a point where I'm thinking about upgrading my system. I've had my setup (in my sig) for quite a while now, 10-15 years I think.

I'm wondering which would be the best first step as I can afford one or the other. Either speakers (I was after a sub/sat setup) or a new AVR?

My feelings are the AVR might make the biggest difference purely due to the way that auto-setup systems have moved on so it'd be able to adjust my current speakers much better than my existing AVR. Whereas upgrading the speakers would likely be a more cohesive sound?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers :)
Paul.

What is your budget for the upgrade?
Do you want or need the newer features on a new AVR i.e. 1.4HDMI or network ability?
Do you have room issues? i.e. do you have boomy bass or other room effects?

Your amp is still a decent amp other than no hdmi and decent auto setup/room eq features, what sort of budget do you intend to allocate to speakers/sub and avr even though you will not be doing this at the same time.

What sort of time difference will be between the first and second upgrade.

If wanting to build a new and upgraded system then the AV receiver is the first step. You can then upgrade the speakers in stages rather than all in one go. You can make do with your current speakers until funds allow for them to be replaced.

It would also be possible to keep your current receiver and upgrade the speakers over time on it as well. The general guide is to spend more on the speakers than the receiver. Hence you probably would not be able to afford all the speakers in one go if you only have enough for a new receiver. A budget for now as well as what you intend to spend overall for the upgrade (receiver and speakers) would help with guidance on a plan forward.

I think possibly around £1k for a speaker package and less for the receiver. My current receiver was about £450 2nd hand but was £800 new but obviously technology advances :) The speakers probably totalled around £600 (Coda 9s and centre were ex-display).

My speakers are good as is the Denon but I think the floorstanders are a bit large as I live in a flat which isn't huge. There's likely to be a year between the upgrades.

HDMI would be useful, I use the Oppos pre-outs for HD formats but obviously that has nothing like the setup options and control that even my current AVR has. The Denon also can't apply any processing to the pre-in so HD formats that are 2.0 I have to use the standard DD/DTS 2.0 track so I get DPLII processing applied.

The bad news on the receiver front is that you are going to need to spend more than the £800 you paid for it to get a new receiver that is going to be significantly better. This is because all that has really changed over the last few years is more bells and whistles while the actual tech in the amps which dictates the actual sound quality has not changed much. Taking inflation into consideration as well then you probably need to spend more than you did a few years ago just to get similar sound quality.
Given your budget I would probably look to use the £1k to upgrade the front 3 speakers for now. Either that or look for a heavily discounted AVR. FOr example you can currently get the Arcam 400 for £1k (used to sell for £2k) so this would give you a good improvement over your current amp.

That does make sense. I guess in Denon's current line-up it'd be the X4000. As you say, manufacturers tend to add features rather than lowering the price.

I would certainly look at an outgoing model avr which are usually heavily discounted or even second hand as you have previously done.

You should be able to get for under £600 an Onkyo 818 or a Yamaha mid range (both around £1k originally when new) model for similar money that will be better than what you have now sonically and will bring you up to date with not only bells & whistles but the necessary hdmi and hd sound codecs that are in use now.

Second hand quality recent (1-2years old) avr's can be had for £400-600 that would have been £1k+ when new and also offer all the bells and whistles needed.

This may give you more to spend on a new front end and subwoofer, I would probably keep the surrounds as they should work ok with any new front end, you can always replace them in a few years if you want to.

Consider subwoofers from BK electronics as they generally offer the best value for money subs as you are dealing directly with the manufacturer.The models worth considering start with a XLS200 @ £300 approx through the much better XXLS400 @ £450 and onto the larger Monolith @ £550.

As for a front 3 that really depends on what amp you select, what you want the sound for, (music/movies) and what sort of sound you want from the speakers (warm/neutral).

I was going to have a hunt around and then the great auction site in the sky decides it's going to have a "scheduled outage" ;)

I'd seen the BK subs before. I don't do critical music listening so I'm likely to be happy with whatever.

man...after 15 years of suffering...just get a new avr+ speakers+bk sub..
audio gear lasts for years!!!

man...after 15 years of suffering...just get a new avr+ speakers+bk sub..
audio gear lasts for years!!!

How is that in any way helpful? What suffering? Did you read the title of the thread? What's audio gear lasting for years got to do with anything?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom