1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AVP700/P1000 vs. Secondhand AV8/P7?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Ambo, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi all

Newbie question here, so I'll start with a tricky one!

Like many on here I am patiently waiting on the AVP700/P1000 to hopefully replace my A85 & Marantz combo and give a significant improvement in sound. However, there is the niggling thought of maybe going for a secondhand AV8/P7 instead for a bit more cash as that should sound even better.

A few questions:

1) Has anyone any experience/advice on buying secondhand FMJ kit privately and any problems, particularly with the AV8/P7?
    2) I'm happy my DiVa sources will be OK with the AVP700/P1000, but what about if I pair these with the AV8/P7?
    3) Any views from the limited experiences with the AVP700 how much better the FMJ kit should be?

I know the AVP700/P1000 has some better features, but I'm not worried about video switching or upconversion as my video sources are just Sky+ and DVD, although I will be keen to go HD in next 12-24m when I eventually get a plasma. My priorities are roughly music 70%/video 30%

Any advice gratefully received! :smashin:

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    From my (admittedly) limited experience of the AVP700, I would say that the AV8 had the edge sonically; especially when it comes to CD/analogue replay. Yes the Diva processor has HDMI video switching, but, crucially, being HDMI v1.0, it does not carry multichannel audio (stereo only). It is, after all, designed to compliment the DV79.

There have been rumours of a significant hardware upgrade (including HDMI switching) for the AV8 for some time, but if it is in the pipeline, Arcam are not saying. Should it actually happen though, it will surely include multichannel audio in it’s HDMI implementation as, unlike the DV79, the DV29 supports this.

There is, however, certainly a software upgrade “on the way” for the AV8, which will include DPLIIx, which Arcam have been working on for some time. As to timescale and what else it will include, your guess is as good as mine.

I would say on the power amp front, the P7 is superior to the P1000, in sound quality terms if not technically. The P7 lacks the balanced inputs and variable gain of the latter.

I guess ultimately the choice is between a newer design with potentially more capicity for futureproofing and an older design of higher quality (?) which may or may not be brought up to spec some time in the future.

3. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you want the best performance go for the Arcam FMJ AV8 and P7 combination second hand - everything will sound good even VCRs! The P7 can drive some of the toughest speakers and both the Arcam AV8 & P7 are THX Ultra 2 certified - they are competing against Lexicon and Meridian.

I own an Arcam AV8 and P7 and I have to say the combination is very good - very good in stereo as well as movies. Get it second hand and you are laughing! Buy it from a good hifi shop second hand and they may give you two years free guarantee.

And if you really do want a Arcam FMJ AV8 processor and live in London then give Billy Vee hifi shop ( in South East London) a call - they have an ex-dem AV8 for 2000 pounds. They will even deliver it to you if you live further away! Let's hope it has not already been sold already.

4. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks very much guys for the feedback. I am in contact with a private seller of an AV8/P7 and I'm awaiting an audition of the kit. Will keep you posted. :smashin:

5. regent8

regent8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't see any posts :)
    What are your experiences?

6. gbaby

gbaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I own both and AV9 and an AV700, and I would rather have a used AV9 than a new AVP700. The 700 is not bad, but the AV9 is state of the art.

7. regent8

regent8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It seems that this is true. Even if he asked regarding AV8 vs avp700 the situation seems to be the same. The av8 is better, and should be as it is more effort put into the design.

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,356
    I found the AVP700 rather disappointing, and consequently bought an AV9 after auditioning an AV8.

I'd have preferred the P7, but it was physically too deep for me to fit it. I bought the P1000 after auditioning it with the AV8.

A second hand AV8/9+P7 in proper working order versus a new AVP700+P1000 is a no-brainer- there isn't even a budget consideration.

9. darron027

darron027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    AV8+P7 all the way............

10. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yeah!!!!! :D When you go to a pub for a beer, do you by a half or a pint?
    It's a bit like buying the Diva or the FMJ..