1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AV32DP Questions

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Burgy100, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Hopefully you guys can help me with a few answers to my questions, hope your reading this Graham MG. Took delivery of my new DP yesterday and I am pleased as punch and this is without using TMREQ yet.

1. Why does the processor sound better than my AV32-Bp 192 when using direct mode? I thought you by passed all the processing capabilities and it become just a pre-amp!! or is just me and my wife believing it to be better

2. As most of us purchased the DP in 5.1 format, can any of you get the DTS-ES and THX Surr EX red lights on the front panel to light up when playing encoded discs with this format. I cannot, is this a fault ir do you have to upgrade to the 7.1 option.

3. The DTS 96/24 activation light. Please can you tell me of a disc that will make this work? I currently have Jean Michele Jarres Aero album and it clearly states on there it used 96/24 technology to record, although when played the light does not activate.

I suppose what I an trying to say are the lights busted, although the tape light works.

Would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Regards

Steve

2. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there anybody out there that can help me :lease:

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Burghy

I'll let you know how I get on when I get mine. I seem to recall that this was discussed on the old TAG site forum and I'm sure they will only light up when 7.1 is fitted (but I could be wrong) as the EX and ES "software" are not enabled on the 5.1 option.

I do know however than certain discs do not include the auto EX flag and you would have to manually select it to activate. This again leeds me to think that you would have to have the 7.1 option added. Current cost for upgrade is £595 I think.

4. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kenny,

Many thanks for that, I think you have confirmed my thoughts. What do you think about DTS 96/24 ?

Steve

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Steve

I have a funny feeling that maybe a chargeable software upgrade

6. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kenny,

It says its been pre-installed. Something elese has just happened !! Everytime I bring the AV out of standby its now starting up in TAPE mode with the red light dispalying tape. How do I stop it from doing this, I can't find anything in the configuration wizzard, its starting to get on my nerves. :mad:

Steve

7. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Burgy

I'm away for a few days so I can't check my SP to see what input it starts from standby with. I always presumed it would start on th last input used but too be honest I've never taken any notice :eek:

I know you can set the initial volume from standby but once again, to be honest I can't remember if you can specify what input. Is there not something in the set-up regarding tape options? Could it be in the same menu page as the PSM section?

If you can wait 'til tueday (good name for a group).......

8. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that :smashin:

MMMMMMMM Aimee Mann

Steve

9. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    If I can jump in here. I've finally managed to get my DP set up (without TMREQ) as I've been on a stag do in all weekend, and I experiencing a slight problem. The video inputs are not switching on the PSM in the DVD32.

I have the option: Switch PSM192 Inputs - enabled, but this doesn't work. Other TAGtronic functions are working fine. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    lovegroova

Is there an option on the DVD32 to turn the PSM on or off as well?

11. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I don't think so, it worked perfectly well with my SP, so I'm not sure what's going on

12. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Bump

13. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The DP is a different beast, better power supply and a lot of other improvements.

You need the 7.1 option.

Queen: A night at the Opera. This one I know for sure shows up as 24/96. It also shows in the display.

Cheers
    /Bogi

14. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent, many thanks for that Bogi and there is me thinking i'm going mad.

Much appreciated

Steve :clap: :clap:

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    yep, many of us have had a long busy weekend and a very "Black Monday" around work today (watch the news!!!). However I'm still here adn Bogi is right! Any disk saying it used 24/96 technology isn't really the same as saying that one of the surround formats available is DTS24/96...... I've got loads of CD's that say 24bit mastered and they obviously can't be 24 bit once they make it to a CD........ The Queen disk does light up the LED!
    Depending on the vintage of the AV32RSP many notice an improvement with the DP, bass alignment was rewritten as well as a lot of tidying of code for the DP, it all adds up eventually. Should have bought the 7.1 though! Sort of makes you future proof even if you just run 5.1 for now..... The action switches might also come in handy?

16. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Graham,

Many thanks for that. Yeah I know I should of bought 7.1 version but the good lady says 5 speakers and a subwoofer is enough in the lounge, still I am dead chuffed with the results sofar and I have not even used TMREQ. I will savor the sound improvement at the moment and the after a couple of weeks implement the TMREQ. Who knows Audiolab may still offer the 7.1 upgrade path with the TMA units.

Regards

Steve

17. Raphie

Raphie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    that's my bet as well, rather DP than 7.1 at this stage

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Personally I doubt upgrades for any existing TAG product will be high on the list of priorities for IAG when current stocks are exhausted, as by then a new product range will no doubt be upon us as we can see already that stereo stuff will be out first and naturally AV stuff afterwards building on the existing technology and compatible with existing TAG gear. Just my opinion, not based of fact. I'd just say, get what you think you will need now......

19. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Graham,

Cannot believe for one minute they would discard potential customers and concentrate on the new range. I would guess the upgrade market is more lucrative than just building them. IAG have purchased a wealth of innovative technology from TMA and I should imagine the strategy will be to build upon that.

I should imagine its been easier for them to source cheaper components for the hifi than the AV stuff!! which is why that will be out first. I always thought the first rule of selling is to look after your existing customers and build upon that, although I maybe wrong.

As you said 'this is just my opinion' a may well and probably be wrong, I suppose only time will tell

Steve

20. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ah but I didn't say that, did I......

21. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah but you definately inferred it, Come on Graham step out of the box!!

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Still only my view but IAG are seen to be concentrating on the stereo range first to re-establish the AudioLab brand in the market and while that happens they must be working on the AV range using the technology they have bought and working in any new ideas into the basic design and naturally making the new product also work with the TAGwonky bus... It is plainly obvious that existing products won't see much in the way of future upgrades either because they simply can't be done or are simply not cost effective.... I'll wager that new Audiolab product may be more keenly priced making the whole issue of upgrades a bit redundant. As an example (purely to make a point and not in any way factual), take a DVD32R, add a PSM module for £1k or buy a new model AudioLab DVD player with built in deinterlacer, HDMI, DVD-A and SACD digital output for £800..... Which one do you think they will sell more of? The more boxes they shift the cheaper and more feature rich the units become, after all SONY, DENON, PIONEER etc. seem to do alright at that......I can see IAG having an assult on that area of the market as the "high end" traditional market is a bit small.... Imagine an Audiolab processor sounding as good or better than the existing AV192R fully tooled up with roomEQ etc. (even John's excellent wizard hard coded into the design???) with HDMI (plus audio) switching and scaling for Pioneeer or Denon money (the top range ones!), that surely has to be the goal for any compnay wishing to take a market by storm and make a few bob into the bargain?
    Like I said just my view not based on any facts apart from the obvious....

23. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats it Graham, I knew you had it in you. :thumbsup: Like most innovative items they are copied or purchased through aquisation and then developed, the South east Asian continent are very good at that. So it will not suprise me that the price will drop for a fully loaded Audiolab piece of equipment, athough, again just thinking out aloud.

Still they should get rid of the colour silver, makes it look cheap to start with and dates quickly, at least black is timeless

Steve

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: