1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AV300 speaker advice

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by barnythebear, Jul 21, 2004.

1. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've done it, bought an AV300 that should arrive shortly.:clap: My original question was about speakers to go with this as I have a Bose 15 set up at the moment. I am thinking of going with small stand mounters for the front, as we listen to a fair amount of music as well as watching DVD's,and gradually working the Bose out of the system. Anyone any experience of Leema Xen's as I hear they are very good and also compact. I've listened to Quad 12's and they seem OK. I know there will be issues with different speakers in the front but needs must at the moment. Any advice please. :confused:

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The sound region is "warm" as they call it.
    So go for a speaker that's transparent and neutral, don't worry about the bass.
    My tip if you can afford them:
    KEF Reference 201's + 202c.
    Bought mine second hand.
    Barend

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not familar with the speakers you mention, so don't know your budget, but...

I use my AVR300 with a set of Dynaudio Audience speakers (72/122C/52SE/62). Very neutral, and detailed in the full range. And they are equally good for digital movie audio and analog music audio.

The Audience 52SE are awesome and the best sounding bookshelf I've ever heard in the price range.

For floorstanders the 72 or 82 are great (I have the 72). The Audience 62 are also floorstanders, but don't sound as good as the slightly less expensive 52SE. And even though the 72 have more bass, they don't sound as good as the 52SE either in just about all other aspects.

If I did it all over again, I'd have 82 for fronts and 52SE for side and rear surrounds.

Dean

4. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I listened to one at a demo yesterday, it was through a pair of PMC GB1s. Seemed to gel very well with the AVR300.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    dwette interesting re dyns that you rate the 52s se for there price and standmounts against the 72 floorstanders and certainly 62.

i have 62 myself and have never heard 52 or se most mags seems to like the 52 and especialy the 52se at there price point.

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 72s have deeper bass, but the 52SE are superior otherwise. But for good reason, they have Contour drivers and crossover. They're essentially Contours in Audience clothing.

Not so with the regular 52, which I have not listened to.

I have a friend visiting, so we compared the 72 and 52SE by connecting each pair as the fronts speakers to my AVR300 and listening to CDs on a DV88+ in analog stereo direct mode. Even though the 52SE are wall mounted, and thus not setup properly as mains, we both agreed that have clearly better sound. Much more detailed, punchy, and neutral sounding. The 72, although they sound great, are somewhat flat and dead sounding by comparison.

He's going to buy the 52SE, in addition to an Arcam A80 and Arcam CD93.

I'm now considering replacing my 72 with another pair of 52SE w/stands, and later I may also replace my 62 (surround rear) with yet another pair of 52SE (wall mounted).

7. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again for the advice. The speakers you all mentioned are a little on the large side for my room and wife. After a few days setting up the AV300 I am mightily impressed. Changing over from analogue DVD to digital has made a vast difference. I have a Delta 170 / Black Box CD set up, any opinions as to the better way to connect to the amp- digital from the 170 or, as now, analogue from the Black box?