1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AV System

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JoeCrow, Apr 20, 2004.

1. JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, looking for some input on a new AV system.

I know a little about the subject but not at the level discussed in this forum. I don't have the dosh to stretch to an all digital system, so I have come up with this mostly analogue alternative.

The only must have is a large LCD panel.

The system I have shortlisted is
    Panasonic S75 DVD (no CUE) --> 576/50i via component to a
    Lumagens Vision scaler --> 720p via RGB Dsub to a
    Sharp LC37HV4E

Also v1 Sky+ box --> 576/50i via S-video to the Lumagens.

Any thoughts on this setup would be welcome, as well as any suggestions re alternative kit etc. Ta.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I would use a RGB/YUV converter on the sky+, and don't forget to leave enough money for a decent 'A' side. You are heavy on the cash on the 'V' side here!

3. JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice.

When you say RGB/YUV converter, do you mean one of the scart to component cables you can get or a converter box? Also, I think the Lumagen Vision only has one set of component YUV inputs which I had planned to use for my DVD player. It does have a Dsub input, so could I use something like a QED Qsync to connect my Sky+ to the Lumagens' Dsub?

Would this setup give me a noticeable PQ hike over simply binning the Lumagen, connecting my Sky+ via RGB scart direct to the panel and replacing the Panny DVD with something like a Denon 2200 to do its own deinterlacing and allowing the panel to do the scaling.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a good mid range CUE free DVD player which can output 576/50i via component YUV, I'm all ears.

4. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart to component cables only work if the source can output the component signal from the scart connection, the two signals are completely different, so a converter is nessesary in most cases, (forget about arcam dvd players) ;-)

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The vision may be limited for what you are asking it to do then. Maybe Gordon could comment/suggest here, he is after all Mr Lumagen, and will know the best way to set this up. Audio wise, it depends on the size of the room, and how close kids and neighbours are what I would recommend, and also, speaker wise, whether you want floorstanders or something more designer/discreet. That's maybe something that needs discussing between you and any significant other.

6. JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A side of things will have to wait for a few months yet, 'till I save the readies for it.

I want to get the V side sorted first. If I can get the dosh, is the performance boost I'd get from SDI modding Sky+ and a DVD, then passing them through the Lumagens Pro SDI, worth the extra £2k or so the system would cost? I could pipe that into the Sharp LCM3700K's DVI input. For that money it would have to be a pretty bike PQ boost.

I'm not settled on a DVD player, I need something CUE free, 625/50i capable from YUV output, with a high spec video DAC. Any ideas?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    JoeCrow

The Analogue only Vision has, as you say only one YUV input, I use mine with one of our Zektor HDS4 four Input YUV switches upstream of the Vision.

If you want to make use of your DVI enabled projector possibly the NEW VisionDVI or VisionHDP will be a better choice - both of which can be specified with SDI inputs (factory fitted at time of order not retro fit).

The all digital VisionDVI is pegged to be better than the Vision and the Digital and Analogue VisionHDP is pegged to be better again.

Keep in mind Lumagen include CUE correction so possibly your range of DVD 'transports' is not as restricted as you think - I use the Interlaced out from an FMJ-DV27 with my Vision.

If you want more Lumagen technical info please shout.

Joe