Question New AV setup, reasonable choice of equipment?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jslater, Jun 3, 2018.

1. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

After many hours of reading these forums, I'm thinking of getting together the following for a 5.1.4 setup:

Denon AVR-X6400H receiver
    5x B&W M1 mkii for LCR & rears
    SVS SB2000 sub
    4x B&W CCM664 for Atmos ceiling duties
    LG OLED 65" C8 TV

The room (loft conversion) and equipment will be dedicated for cinema only, no need for music as I have a separate setup for this.

I can go for larger LCR speakers if there are better options, rather than 3x M1's at the front.

Thoughts on whether some of this should be tweaked?

Cheers all.

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    First thing that jumps to eye is low cost lifestyle speakers with high cost receiver (1400£) which is used to drive +-1000£/pair speakers often. Denon X4400H (829£) would be better option, 5.2.4 out of box same as Marantz SR6012 (749£).

For the speakers there is so many options and you didn`t tell your budget, but if one has dedicated cinema room, i wouldn`t buy any small lifestyle speakers!

Subwoofer choice depends of your room size (with possible openings) and what kind of performance are you looking for. There should be better options for pure HT use. SB2000 should be great sub for smaller spaces (living room) to be used with music+movies, though some feels it`s tad over priced these days. Purely from performance point of view there is better choices available starting from ~600£.

3. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply, a budget would help wouldn't it. I'm actually fairly flexible on this, up to 5k all in I guess.

Sub-wise, i'm not looking for floor-shaking performance, much prefer detail if at all possible. Looking to position in the top-left corner, or somewhere along that wall at least.

As you can see, the room's pretty awkward, which is why diddy speakers for the rear is really the only option. Fronts are another matter, and can definitely up the budget here! They'll just have to contend with being beside a pair of floorstanding Dynaudio Excite X32's, so another floorstanding pair are out, more like bookshelf size on stands.

Room size is roughly 5m wide, 4m depth to the back of the sofa. They're putting enough space between the PK08 windows to fit the ceiling speakers (A1-A4).

I guess reason for the 6400 is I may extend to 7.1.4 at a later stage, really don't know at this point until I've got it all set up & ready.

Loft won't be finished for another couple of months, so still have lots of time to decide and change my mind many times over!

Attached Files:

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,614
    I have a room that is the same size as yours and I have just gone dual subs. It does give better detail, and a more even bass around the room. You would be fine with 2 x BKXLS200, they are £329 each.

5. B17NNS

B17NNS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  6. jamieu

jamieu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    If your building/fitting out the room, you could go with three in-wall speakers upfront as a compromise between lifestyle and bookshelf sized speakers?
    In-Ceiling & In-Wall Speakers | Bowers & Wilkins

You say 'dedicated for cinema only', if your not going to be playing games or watching TV in there and you can black the light out, have you considered going down the projector route? If you did that you could hide all your front speakers behind an acoustic transparent screen.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,230
    There is no need (or sense) in having separate Left/Right speakers for HiFi and AV in a small space - choose correctly and you can use the same Speakers for both duties - remember that 90% of a Movie is locked to the Front Stage.

If you are using a TV rather than a projected image there is arguably little need to add in a Centre Channel when the speakers are so tightly set around the screen.

What Amplification do you use with the Dynaudio speakers and have you tried that system out in the space?

Joe

8. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Joe, I'm using a Naim Nait XS with the Dynaudio's, so there's the AV bypass mode option there.

I can't try anything out yet as the loft is still being built. It is more of a case of getting everything ready so they can run the correct cables everywhere, rather than channeling out cable routes after the fact.

I think I want to start with the TV option first and then maybe look at the projector option in a few years' time.

9. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So I ended up massively blowing the budget and went with:

Fronts - KEF R300
    Rears - KEF R100
    Centre - KEF R200C
    Sub - REL T9i
    Ceiling - 2x KEF Ci100QR, 2x KEF Ci130QR
    AVR - Denon AVR-X6400H
    Stands - Custom Design FS104
    TV - LG OLED65C8
    Player - Panasonic DP-UB820

Sounded fantastic in store, very involved sound stage!

Found the B&W 685S2 a bit too boxy, and the 706S2 too much of a strain on my ears.

Can't wait to get it all installed now...

10. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    I was gunna suggest the ATC HTS7 system. It’s genuinely fantastic with both music and movies.

Hope ya enjoy the system and get some pics up when ya sorted :-D